Anyone know if a date has been set for SAFE-T to go all Phase II radios?

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
I am using Pro96Com and 2 WS1065 class scanners to monitor 2 SAFE-T sites on my PC and I noticed that in 2021 that the SAFE-T tower network had been upgraded to Phase II capable. And I am wondering if there has been a date set for all radios on SAFE-T to be replaced with Phase II units. I have an SDS200 and an SDR Trunk home brew setup for when Phase 1 is defunct on SAFE-T, I am also thinking of getting a couple of TRX-2's. Rich Carlson has said that it is common for Phases II systems to use Phase I control channels and that WS1065/Pro197 class scanners will still be suitable to run Pro96com on SAFE-T, when it is Phase II only. And I intend to keep a few of them around for that purpose.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Are you saying the Pro 197 should still work after the change to phase 2?
The PRO-197 can decode P25 Phase 1 only. It cannot decode P25 Phase 2. Although a system is Phase 2 capable, the PRO-197 can still receive the system for talkgroups which are Phase 1. If you see "D" in the Mode column, you are OK for that talkgroup. If you see "T", you are out of luck.

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
The PRO-197 can decode P25 Phase 1
I am the OP here & I am absolutely clear that the WS1065/Pro197 are phase I only scanners. BUT as Rich Carlson said they Still CAN read out control channel data on a PC with Pro96Com software (which I do everyday). As Carlson pointed out the control channels on a Phase II only system remain in Phase I and only the voice channel are in Phase II.

But please lets not get off track here. My question in this thread is does

owenbricker

I am the OP here & I am absolutely clear that the WS1065/Pro197 are phase I only scanners. BUT as Rich Carlson said they Still CAN read out control channel data on a PC with Pro96Com software (which I do everyday). As Carlson pointed out the control channels on a Phase II only system remain in Phase I and only the voice channel are in Phase II.

But please lets not get off track here. My question in this thread is does
Get on their website and ask them.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
This is a can that IPSC is probably kicking down the road while they deal with other issues and projects. My gut feeling is that the switchover won't happen overnight and word will leak out weeks or months before it happens.

thinbluebbq

Feed Provider
IPSC is no longer issuing any IDs for Phase I equipment so any new stuff has to be Phase II. My guess is as we continue to turn over equipment it will slowly put more Phase II capable in the field and less Phase I and then eventually they will mandate the switch for the remaining. This is likely the best way since government budgets are always strained so forcing a massive upgrade all at once would be disastrous.

thinbluebbq

Feed Provider
Last year there were rumors that 2024 was a drop dead date to be all Phases II, has this been rescinded now?
I don't have any information that shows a drop dead date at all. I just know from our experience that we had to have Phase II capable equipment to get IDs issued after Dec 31, 2021. It is a move into that direction but I have to imagine there are still thousands of Phase I radios in use and small agencies with limited to no budgets requiring them to beg for hand me down stuff etc is what is hard to say they would mandate it. There is grant money but it is still limited and Phase II equipment is expensive.