Anyone know much about Lees Summit Fire ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SK63

My scanner went dead and was thinking of buying a new one but when you get right down to it, I usually only Listen to Lees Summit Fire so was thinking of buying some type of Motorola HT on ebay and having it programmed but don't know the type of tones LS fire uses so could program FTO. Which radio would be good to get?

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
My scanner went dead and was thinking of buying a new one but when you get right down to it, I usually only Listen to Lees Summit Fire so was thinking of buying some type of Motorola HT on ebay and having it programmed but don't know the type of tones LS fire uses so could program FTO. Which radio would be good to get?

Motorola HT1250, MTS2000, or HT1000 would be your best bets. You can probably find anyone of those <$300 if you look in the right places. Just have whoever programs it place it in "transmit inhibit" mode so you don't accidentally keyup on their air. Not sure how to answer the pager tones question since I don't monitor them regularly.

SK63

Motorola HT1250, MTS2000, or HT1000 would be your best bets. You can probably find anyone of those <$300 if you look in the right places. Just have whoever programs it place it in "transmit inhibit" mode so you don't accidentally keyup on their air. Not sure how to answer the pager tones question since I don't monitor them regularly.

Thanks for the info on xmit Inhibit, I was a little worried about that.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info on xmit Inhibit, I was a little worried about that.

I think Lee's Summit uses MDC signaling. Not sure how their setup works, but if they see a rogue radio key-up, they might have the ability to brick it. Just something to keep in mind.

SK63

I think you're right, definitely don't want any problems, will make sure everything is cool. Do you know anyone who is good with programming in the area? I think my biggest challenge is going to be the fire tones. Can't seem to find anything on that at all

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
No but you have a point, sooner or later that will happen but knowing Lees Summit, it will be later than sooner.

Yes, much later. They have no plans to go P25 in the foreseeable future. This was discussed at one of the Mid-America Regional Council meetings a while back.

BaLa

Ah ok.
Just checking.

If you can find a Kenwood TK-280 on eBay or something.
Cables and software are cheap and super simple to program.

Also does some of the VHF Ham Stuff.

SK63

Starting to think it might be easier just to drop the cash on a 436HP or the base.

Status
Not open for further replies.