Anyone know the cause of the McKenzie lake fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

smason

There was a fire last week really close to me, in McKenzie Lake. As usual I can't find any mention of what the result of the investigation was.
I don't particularly trust the media to get it right anyway, as a couple of them didn't even get the neighborhood right. Different sources said McKenzie Towne, and Mountain Park :rolleyes:
Does anyone know if the cause was determined.?

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I seem to recall someone mentioning that the Fire Department does not want to say what the causes of fires are. Really not sure why as this would be education to many. Someone may know why they don't. All the City Newsroom report states is that the origin has not been determined. Then go on to say the Smoke Detectors weren't working and people should ensure that smoke detectors are in working condition. With seeing home insurance in Calgary going up over the years [yes some was due to the flood, Slave Lake fire and Hail], but you have to think that some is because of house fires. Now if we knew if it was a discarded cigarette, pot left on a stove [an awful lot of these], poor wiring, improper hook up of propane/gas BBQ, flammables stored by the gas furnace or gas heater, fire pit too close to combustibles. I think the one in New Brighton mentioned an air conditioner problem. But every time I hear of what causes a fire, I review how things are around my house. I believe someone got burned today in a garage fire, but haven't looked to see if this has been reported. Not on the City Newsroom.

Last edited:

smason

Yeah I seem to recall someone mentioning it now, I think someone mentioned not wanting to embarrass the homeowner, but they don't seem to hesitate when it's a pot on the stove or careless smoking. Those seem embarrassing enough. The City Newsroom seems pretty inactive lately, and I stopped getting email alerts a while ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.