Anyone know this equipment?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

nova1010

Just wondering if anyone knows what these are,A friend of mine bought these at an auction thinking I'd be interested in them,I really don't know what they are or what their capable of doing.Maybe some of you ham guys know what they are.

IMG_1816-1.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg

IMG_1818.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

tag.jpg

From wikipedia
Radio modems transfer data wirelessly across a range of up to tens of kilometers.

Using radio modems is a modern way to create Private Radio Networks (PRN). Private radio networks are used in industrial critical applications, when real-time data communication is needed. Also Radio Data Modem enables user to be independent of telecommunication or satellite network operators. In most cases users use licenced frequencies either in UHF or VHF band. Licenced frequency is reserved for gived user in certain area thus ensuring that there is less likelihood to have radio interference from other RF tranmsmitters. Also licence free frequencies are available in most countries, enabling easy implementation, but at the same time other users may use same frequency, thus making it possible that give frequency is blocked. Typical users for Radio Data Modems are: Land survey differential GPS, fleet management applications, SCADA applications (utility distribution networks), automated meter reading (AMR), telemetry applications and many more. Since applications are usually requiring high reliability of data transfer and very high uptime, radio performance plays key role. Factors influencing radio performance are, antenna height and type, sensitivity of radio, output power of radio and complete system design.

I'm not sure what what those are either really. i was just reading thatit said radio modem on the back. Heres what I found at surplus master.com

Gandalf Test Unit, TTS 400C.
Speed, Data pattern,Test select,Aluminum case.
03X10X12, 11 Lbs. Packaged Weight.

Last edited:

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
The LC-900 Controller for an aircraft Microwave Landing System. Never really got put into use since GPS came along about the same time.

Microwave landing system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.caa.co.uk/aandocs/19013/19013000000.pdf

I am willing to bet that the TTS400C is for testing the modem. Appears to have the ability to generate selected messages and then wait for a response.

Yup, test-set.

http://www.wbparts.com/rfq/6625-01-254-3506.html

Brief description here:

http://www.tpub.com/content/logistics/66/25/316/01-254-3506.htm

I'm gonna take a flyer and say the modem was likely hooked to an HF radio to communicate with Aircraft, especially with the inclusion of the obvious MLS control head from an aircraft in the auction items. Although with the Carleton sticker on it I suppose it is less likely that is what they were doing with it, but I guess you never know. Maybe some communications with the ISS or something.

What the ham guys call packet radio?

Last edited:

nova1010

Hey guys thanks for the replys I appreciate them all,I kinda knew what the LC-900 did as for the other stuff still trying to find out more.

Anyone interested at all in this stuff let me know I can grab it anytime off my buddy....anyone local feel free to pop over and check it out,not a problem.

I personally have no use for any of this stuff.

nova1010

The LC-900 Controller for an aircraft Microwave Landing System. Never really got put into use since GPS came along about the same time.

Microwave landing system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.caa.co.uk/aandocs/19013/19013000000.pdf

I am willing to bet that the TTS400C is for testing the modem. Appears to have the ability to generate selected messages and then wait for a response.

Yup, test-set.

6625-01-254-3506, TTS400C

Brief description here:

6625-01-254-3506 Test Set, Telecommunication System

I'm gonna take a flyer and say the modem was likely hooked to an HF radio to communicate with Aircraft, especially with the inclusion of the obvious MLS control head from an aircraft in the auction items. Although with the Carleton sticker on it I suppose it is less likely that is what they were doing with it, but I guess you never know. Maybe some communications with the ISS or something.

What the ham guys call packet radio?

Hey David thanks you found alot more information than I was able to :)

Status
Not open for further replies.