Anyone listening to feeds via Blackberry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
FYI, I think I answered my own question. Was playing around on scanamerica.us and saw that the mobile page recommends a piece of freeware called XPlayer for this. Will have to give it a try when the new toy arrives. I'll post a report once I've tried it so others will know.

-AZ

AZScanner

Just one word of caution: Playing audio zaps the battery! Think about the battery being charged.... I brought the charge down from full status to zero status in less than 1 1/2 hours!!!

Eww, that sucks. What model blackberry? The 8820 supposedly has a pretty beefy battery on it, allowing 5 hours of talk time. Also I'm betting listening over 802.11 wi-fi would suck it up faster than using the cellular radio would. That was my experience with the T-Mobile Crash (Dash) anyway.

-AZ

EDIT: It's here! It just arrived! At home! And I'm at.... work. :( Bah.

I'll post an update tonight after trying some feeds and let y'all know how it worked (or didn't). :D

Last edited:

GordonE

Live Audio Administrator
Feed Provider

AZScanner

mfradio.sourceforge.net free download and I can listen to melsgarage. God I miss new york

I tried mfradio also, but it simply wouldn't work. No matter what stream I tried to play it just reported an error. So far the best results have been from Berrytunes and xPlayer. xPlayer is freeware, so that makes it the winner. :)

Another great thing about the Blackberry is that unlike Windoze Mobile based phones, I can be listening to a stream and STILL receive an incoming call! Windows Smartphones will not do this - they send the caller to voicemail. Ha! Take that Microsoft! :lol:

-AZ

AZScanner

FYI, a new version of xPlayer has been released to replace the beta version. Here's the part that sucks - the live radio feature is no longer free. :evil:

I'm going to do some evaluation this weekend between berrytunes and xplayer to see which one I'm going to buy. I'll post a review of both here for the benefit of the group if time permits. Berrytunes was easier to configure and had more options but I'm not sure yet of the cost of the new xplayer so I'm still undecided right now as to which one I'll be going with.

More later.
-AZ

matthewtomek

Live Audio Admin
Feed Provider
AZScanner,

Any updates? I just bought a BB 8330. Looking at XPlayer and wanted to see how it was working for you or did you fine something else?

CARBOSS303

Streaming on your blackberry

http://www.moodio.fm/node/1
I use moodio dailey. Works great. I have set up numerous streams through moodio. You do not need to download anything. Go to above link to sign up. In the "news" section there are numerous stream stations you can sign up for and its is FREE!

AZScanner

AZScanner,

Any updates? I just bought a BB 8330. Looking at XPlayer and wanted to see how it was working for you or did you fine something else?

I've been really busy with work and haven't had much time to mess around with it, but I'm actually leaning more towards Berrytunes. the xplayer beta worked flawlessly but this new version locks up sometimes. Berrytunes is a bit more expensive and you can't cut and paste station url's but I've never had it lock up on me, unlike the xplayer.

-AZ

AZScanner

http://www.moodio.fm/node/1
I use moodio dailey. Works great. I have set up numerous streams through moodio. You do not need to download anything. Go to above link to sign up. In the "news" section there are numerous stream stations you can sign up for and its is FREE!

How do you listen in? when I go to launch the stream it tells me it can't display the item and prompts me to save a file. When I open the saved file, nothing happens. Running a BB 8820, maybe they don't support that. Too bad too, because if I could get it to work I wouldn't need to buy a license for the other players.

-AZ

kg4pbd

I had been using Orb however I just set up a stream on Moodio and it's actually much easier. The only downside is you have to make the stream public (may or may not be a downside - I'm trying to limit demand on my connection).

One note - make sure you set your browser emulation mode to Microsoft I.E. (under options/browser configuration) otherwise it won't work.

I'm still holding out for an OS upgrade that will allow direct streaming via the media player.

matthewtomek

Live Audio Admin
Feed Provider
Well, I've tried xPlayer and BerryTunes and neither seem to be that great. I'm not sure if it's because I'm using the trial version or not, but when I attempt to play a feed, it will only play for a short period of time, and then quit playing giving some kind of error message.

AZScanner

Well, I gave moodio a try but I just don't think the 8820 supports whatever that site is trying to do. Oh well. I took the plunge on the xplayer because it was about $5 cheaper and supports cut and paste. Am now enjoying ICP963's excellent Phoenix Fire feed on scanamerica.us :)

Matthew, no the trial versions aren't supposed to stop playing and error out like that. Who's your carrier and what model BB do you have? I have the 8820 on T-Mobile and I remember having to fiddle around with both players before they would work. Of course I don't remember exactly WHAT I did, but the xplayer app has an option to adjust the live radio settings. I also know that these apps like to fight with other apps for 'net access also so make sure you're not running any internet browsers or google maps, etc. Email is OK to run.

I also recommend purchasing xplayer online from Handango rather than from Shape's wap site so you can save the install files to your desktop in case anything goes wrong or you need to reinstall later. When you order from Handango they email you the registration code - I recommend saving that off to a text file and including it in the zip they send. Handango tries to tack on an extra $5 for "download protection" (you can download the app for a year if you pay the extra money) but if you follow my suggestions above you can save yourself some $$$ and remove that from the cart.

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.