Anyone monitoring feds in Lubbock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireJustin

Are there any Federal frequencies in Lubbock? I'm ready to expand my listening in Lubbock, but am unsure of anything specific to look for.

nd5y

A city that size probably has several federal agency field offices.
There is nothing in the database or wiki which means you will have to find them yourself.
You will have to search 162-173.2, 173.4-174, 406.1-420 MHz bands in 12.5 kHz steps and see what you find.
Looking at the wiki article http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Federal_(TX), the federal frequencies sections in Common Frequencies - The RadioReference Wiki, and the database sections in other large counties like Federal Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference, will give you an idea of what frequencies are used. Many are nationwide assignments and the same ones are often used in many locations.

Don't be surprised if it take a long time before you hear anything.
There is also a slight chance that some federal agencies could possibly have talkgroups on city/county trunked systems.

There is also a sticky thread http://forums.radioreference.com/te...6354-texas-federal-government-monitoring.html
I haven't read it recently so some of the links may not work by now.

Last edited:

ecps92

Depending on your FEDERAL definition I would also suggest
137-144, 148-150.8 and 380-400

My only note for Lubbock are a CAP Repeater on 148.1250

But as mentioned below, time/patience is needed, as FEDERAL monitoring is not
like listening to your Local PD/FD/EMS/DPW, activity will vary by Operation/Mission Tempo and DON'T rule out Holidays and Weekends :)

A city that size probably has several federal agency field offices.
There is nothing in the database or wiki which means you will have to find them yourself.
You will have to search 162-173.2, 173.4-174, 406.1-420 MHz bands in 12.5 kHz steps and see what you find.
Looking at the wiki article Federal (TX) - The RadioReference Wiki, the federal frequencies sections in Common Frequencies - The RadioReference Wiki, and the database sections in other large counties like Federal Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference, will give you an idea of what frequencies are used. Many are nationwide assignments and the same ones are often used in many locations.

Don't be surprised if it take a long time before you hear anything.
There is also a slight chance that some federal agencies could possibly have talkgroups on city/county trunked systems.

There is also a sticky thread http://forums.radioreference.com/te...6354-texas-federal-government-monitoring.html
I haven't read it recently so some of the links may not work by now.

twobytwo

As far as federal listening goes there really isnt that much to listen. I'll list what I have heard traffic in the past (may not be used today).
163.775 Border Patrol
163.725 Border Patrol
172.15 TSA p25-136 encrypted-heard recently

Frequencies that I have that I have not received but have in my radio
164.65 ATF
162.7875 Mahon Bldg
163.9125 FBI

The Boll Weevil Eradication program had a freq that was for Lubbock but I dont know what it is/was ,besides it didnt sound exciting enough to put in my scanner.

I posted several years ago a militatry airplane running mock missions over the city and did catch them talking to someone. http://forums.radioreference.com/texas-radio-discussion-forum/260007-air-exercise-lubbock.html

When one of the President Bush's ( #1 I think) came to Lubbock many years ago I heard the Secret Service Service and the thing I most remember is that they where testing radios and called for "Lubbock Base".
There used to be a website called Lubbockradio.net that had some fed freq ,but it is in the internet heaven now.

FireJustin, I know it may be late ,but if you would want some low power freq used at Tech football games ( may be used at other sporting events) I can PM then to you.

ecps92

What Tone/NAC is the BP using in that area. ??
As far as federal listening goes there really isnt that much to listen. I'll list what I have heard traffic in the past (may not be used today).
163.775 Border Patrol
163.725 Border Patrol
172.15 TSA p25-136 encrypted-heard recently

Frequencies that I have that I have not received but have in my radio
164.65 ATF
162.7875 Mahon Bldg
163.9125 FBI

The Boll Weevil Eradication program had a freq that was for Lubbock but I dont know what it is/was ,besides it didnt sound exciting enough to put in my scanner.

I posted several years ago a militatry airplane running mock missions over the city and did catch them talking to someone. http://forums.radioreference.com/texas-radio-discussion-forum/260007-air-exercise-lubbock.html

When one of the President Bush's ( #1 I think) came to Lubbock many years ago I heard the Secret Service Service and the thing I most remember is that they where testing radios and called for "Lubbock Base".
There used to be a website called Lubbockradio.net that had some fed freq ,but it is in the internet heaven now.

FireJustin, I know it may be late ,but if you would want some low power freq used at Tech football games ( may be used at other sporting events) I can PM then to you.

twobytwo

What Tone/NAC is the BP using in that area. ??

After finding some old notes, I did find some more info, these may not be used any more,
149.625- Texas State Guard ( unknown usage)
165.2875-BATF 100.0 DPL
163.775 BP 123.0 DPL
148.15 CAP 100.0 DPL

nd5y

Texas State Guard had a repeater on 149.625/143.400 PL 162.2 in the DFW area.
I saw the same pair also listed as used in Austin and Lubbock. I heard the one in the DFW area key up a few times but never heard it used. All of that was over 20 years ago before federal spectrum narrowbanding and refarming. I don't know if it still exists. One of the state planning documents from about 10 years ago said the state guard had P25 capable radios.

ecps92

Looking for more current info, as many have already migrated to P25 from Analog

BTW those are PL's not DPL's

The CAP use of 100.0 as a Common PL was retired around 2009 ish

CBP, BP and ICE have likely gone P25 in that region.

After finding some old notes, I did find some more info, these may not be used any more,
149.625- Texas State Guard ( unknown usage)
165.2875-BATF 100.0 DPL
163.775 BP 123.0 DPL
148.15 CAP 100.0 DPL

ecps92

YMMV -
but many area's it's still a Repeater with 166.5375 as the input

Some Regions are well behind on the NTIA conversions

Tom - tried to PM you, with this, but you have PM's blocked

This is probably obsolete too. In other areas that is now P25 and a repeater input to 170.9625.

Status
Not open for further replies.