Anyone program Motorola Sabers in SECT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Anyone know anyone who programs Motorola Saber portables in or around SECT?

I contacted two online places that program the radios and run into two problems, both say they only program two zones, even if one zone only has five channels (each zone is capable of 12 channels) and neither will program any public safety frequencies ... even if they are in receive mode only with no transmit capabilities.

If you know anyone who programs the Motorola Saber III locally I'd appreciate it if you'd pass it along.

Thanks

sefrischling

Kitn1mcc

It seems that few people can program the Sabers. I just sold my VHF Astro Saber III and pulled out the VHF Saber III ... I think I may end up buying another Astro Saber III again. They are far more reliable than the Baofeng UV radios for my limited xmit uses, an still superior for monitoring certain things.

I use the Uniden scanners for P25 and narrow band so that isn't really a factor. The 436hp is proving to be nearly equal to what the Astro was used for ... although the Saber radios are superior in nasty weather.

RKG

1) Sabers, Systems Sabers, and Astro Sabers bear no relationship to one another (either in terms of hardware or programming) other than a similarity of physical appearance.

2) Most reputable radio shops will decline to program LMR equipment for a "new" customer absent either a "license or letter" (i.e., the customer is the licensee of a frequency or has a letter of authorization from the licensee). This includes requests for RXO programming. One can argue the logic of the latter, but that is the common ethic of reputable radio shops.

sefrischling

RKG

1) I never mentioned a System Saber. I had an Astro Saber III and Saber III (which I hadn't used in probably two years). I wasn't using the Astro Saber for anything P25, someone offered me $250 for it, so I sold it and decided to pull the Saber III out and program it up for what I was using the Astro Saber for (although now I realize the Astro Saber has narrow banding and the Saber III doesn't, but not a big deal for my use of it). So anyway, I am well aware of what radios I am speaking of.

2) I have now found two people to program the radio, one locally.

eclipse175

Programming public safety frequencies into a radio that is not authorized to have them (regardless of receive only) is dangerous and a way to possibly get your radio seized. Typically I hate the people on this board who try to be someone else's parent or think they're the radio police but given the severity of the recent issues with the LCD system I simply would advise against it. Not to mention the recent swatting issues. Unless you are affiliated with some sort of public safety organization already then it's slightly more acceptable. I say this because 90% of cops don't understand programming receive only channels or how programming even works. Just a friendly suggestion. To each their own!

Kitn1mcc

Premium Subscriber
i have several Commercial Customers and i put the PD''s in there Radios cause they like to listen when there out plowing and stuff like that. its easy to tell if its RX hit the mike and Radio Beebs. i only use motorola gear

sefrischling

Eclipse175,

There are many field programmable radios that can screw up systems like LCD. If I wanted to cause damage I'd just use the Baofeng radios I have and wouldn't go through the trouble of having a Saber programmed. Also having RX only in a radio is not illegal, even when along side TX freqs you can legally use , the FCC has no issue with it. Having spent 16 years as a news photographer, covering NYC for years and that pretty much the whole of New England , I have always had radios around me, a lot of them ... in fact when I was the chief photog for a daily paper in Vermont the VSP programmed my MT1000 for me to match their radios, two fire departments issued me radios, one in VT and one in NH.

I also make much of my living as a journalist covering Transportation Security, mostly Aviation Security, since late 2001. I spend a lot of time around DHS, TSA, USCG, Amtrak PD with two way portables programmed to their systems. I have a clone of the standard TSA radio, with other agency channels and DHS channels programmed in. In all the hassles I have had (including making national news when they send two Feds to my house three times in two days and took my laptop for not giving up sources for a story, as well as them destroying my hard drive data, being found to have illegally been in my email, followed by being detained by them outside the scope of what they are allowed to do while researching a story) no one has ever had an issue with me having a radio that is an exact clone of theirs.

Scanners are great, but for the most part portables are better at not just receive, but also being far more durable when working outside in all weather conditions.

I appreciate your concern, but I am operating within the law, follow FCC regulations, and have no intention of breaking the law because that is just stupid.

eclipse175

I guess I wasn't totally clear. My recommendation to you was to protect yourself in the wake of recent events that would cause law enforcement to be more suspicious coming across a radio which possibly receives their transmissions. I wasn't accusing you of wanting to interfere with any of these systems. Lesson learned on my part I will keep my mouth shut.

sefrischling

Eclipse,

I do appreciate the warning ... but in general for me, press credentials tend to end that conversation before it starts, at least in my experience.

Tom_G

Those Motorla Sabers just sound so much better than any other portable radio.
Those and the GE MPA's are the best I have ever heard.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Irregardless of what the radio police are saying. In Conn you CAN monitor and listen even when mobile. Conn has a Sunshine law that allows it. As far a whether you have a scanner or portable the laws the same it's the interaction with the PS agency when they stop you and ask about it. Personally I have zero scanners, and I monitor virtually everything in my area or wherever I go with Motorola mobiles and portables programmed for receive only.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Speaking of programming I have to find someone in ct to program recieve freqs in my motorola xls 1550 UHF radio I bought it on ebay a few months ago and it just a paper weight right now,it has fttp on it but I can't use it until it's opened up by the software.

Last edited:

PJH

Premium Subscriber
I am not going to get involved in the programming debate, but there is a FCC rule on the books that actually prohibits the programming of a licensed receive channel into a transmitter, unless authorized by the licensee.

Scanners, not being transmitters are obviously do not apply to this law.

This is one of the FCC Rules, and in the past for NOL's have been referenced to for even having a two-way radio programmed as receive only. I am trying to find the ones that is more direct. Basically its another enforcement tool to enhance butt-hurt if you really tick someone off or at the wrong place at the wrong time.

§ 90.427 Precautions against unauthorized operation.
(a) Each transmitter shall be so installed and protected that it is not accessible to or capable of operation by persons other than those duly authorized by and under the control of the licensee. Provisions of this part authorizing certain unlicensed persons to operate stations, or authorizing unattended operation of stations in certain circumstances, shall not be construed to change or diminish in any respect the responsibility of station licensees to maintain control over the stations licensed to them (including all transmitter units thereof), or for the proper functioning and operation of those stations and transmitter units in accordance with the terms of the licenses of those stations.

(b) Except for frequencies used in accordance with § 90.417, no person shall program into a transmitter frequencies for which the licensee using the transmitter is not authorized.

sefrischling

PJH

As I understand the law, having spoken with people in the FCC about it, maybe 2 or 3 years ago (related to something else) is that the regulations are in place to prevent you from programming in the transmit frequency and that is the intent of the language. If you program a transceiver with RX only, without inputting the Tx frequencies you are not in violation of the regulations or the laws.

SCPD

QRT
Irregardless of what the radio police are saying. In Conn you CAN monitor and listen even when mobile. Conn has a Sunshine law that allows it. As far a whether you have a scanner or portable the laws the same it's the interaction with the PS agency when they stop you and ask about it. Personally I have zero scanners, and I monitor virtually everything in my area or wherever I go with Motorola mobiles and portables programmed for receive only.

Yep,Motos blow any scanner out of the water. They have limited in channels (talkgroups), but it receives what I need to hear. I don't need a scanner that wash the dishes, just to hear the system clearly. No scanners here as well!. The radio police can go away, every pro caution has been made so the radio does NOT HAVE ANY chance of affecting the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.