Anyone recognize this portable antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1dougsk

Premium Subscriber
BD358457-8124-47FB-BBC1-AE14898EB186.jpeg
Found this scanner antenna recently while cleaning out a drawer. Don’t remember buying it, where it came from, or what band(s) it’s for. It has a slight “hourglass” shape (slightly thinner in the middle, and a little larger on both ends). 8 and 3/4 inches long (excluding the BNC connector). No markings on it at all. Anybody recognize it, or know if it is multi-band or single band?
Thanks very much!

a417

U+0000
virtually identical to the one currently on my desktop Pro-95.

wowologist

Certifiable
ya if it has the 2 bands cutout just above the BNC its most likely an old RS antenna. If it doesn't it may actually be a Regency one and is not set for low band VHF - tuned for VHF/Hi and UHF.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
It looks like one made by GRE for RS. GRE made some of the RS handheld scanners. Probably 1980-1995 vintage. Was designed for 30-50MHz, 150-174MHz and 450-470MHz. I have two of them. Not for 700/800MHz. Worked quite well on low band for CHP. Also good on the other bands. No one used 700/800MHz when it was first sold. Now it's hard to find low band handheld antennas. The bulge at the top is a loading coil for low band, I think.

bb911

Take a look at the inside bottom of the bnc connector. I've got about 6 handheld antennas with bnc connectors and numerous bnc adapters. The antenna that came with my Pro-97 has the only bnc connector that I've ever seen without the metal part around the outside of the white dielectric. My antenna looks like yours minus the hourglass shape. I'm betting that if it has the bnc like mine, it's a RS/GRE antenna.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Take a look at the inside bottom of the bnc connector. I've got about 6 handheld antennas with bnc connectors and numerous bnc adapters. The antenna that came with my Pro-97 has the only bnc connector that I've ever seen without the metal part around the outside of the white dielectric.
That seems to be the case with antennas I have including a PRO-93, PRO-651, and one from an old PRO-34. I also own the antenna the OP pictures above and it too lacks the metal sheath surrounding the dielectric. Unfortunately, I didn't buy that antenna and so I can't say where it originated. However, having worked for RadioShack from 1995 until they closed in 2017, I don't recall selling this particular antenna. The only one's I remember during those years were the 800MHz Remtronix and a very short duck for close range use. I've also browsed several RS catalogs from the mid to later 80's and can't find this antenna listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.