Anyone recognize this tower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudzupatch

Actually a pole, not a tower. I inherited this from a family member who was a HAMM and just got it set up with a TV antenna on there for now.

It winches up and then the second winch will raise an internal pole. Pole is 20 foot. Guessing somewhere around 35-40 feet all up. Would like to know a little about it. Mainly how high I can go with it before it needs to be guyed off?

End goal it to put a Starlink dish on top. I don't think I will need to raise it above 25 foot (current height) b. But with a SL dish on top that is a bit of weight. Really concerned if I do need to go higher if I need to add some guys.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

f1ZS01P.jpg

so9mWcD.jpg

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It winches up and then the second winch will raise an internal pole. Pole is 20 foot. Guessing somewhere around 35-40 feet all up. Would like to know a little about it. Mainly how high I can go with it before it needs to be guyed off?

Crank up masts like this don't require guying, as long as you stay within their design specifications. The specifications will tell you the antenna weight and wind load that it will support. Knowing the weight and wind load of the Star Link antenna would be required.

I'd suggest looking for a brand name on the mast, then see if you can find the specifics from that.

Kudzupatch

I answered but looks like it didn't show up.

No branding that I can find on it. Just one warning sticker. Was hoping someone recognized it so I could find the specs on it.

Starlink Attenna are on the heavy side at 23 lbs. I think that this is high enough to get a clear line of sight. I am not sure I would be comfortable with it raised up much more with that much weight on there. In breeze I suspect she would sway a lot! Swaying isn't a problem or the antenna, just my comfort!

techman210

Starlink uses 10.7-12.7GHz and 37.5-42.5GHz as the downlink. The 10-12 GHz frequencies are used by terrestrial microwave, so putting that up high isn’t going to do you any favors.

Getting the antenna up high for the millimeter band frequencies might help if you have a limited horizon due to trees, but you have to get it above most of the trees to see a difference.

Plus, if you get heavy snow- I hear the dish gets quite warm normally -manually removing the snow from the antenna will be a PITA.

Kudzupatch

I don't now what bands it used but Starlink clearly points out and even has an app to check the sky for obstructions, because it has to have a clear view of the sky. So raising it up is going to do ME some good.

Kudzupatch

prcguy

Again, thanks for the info. I found enough information to help me out. I need to add an anchor to the eve of the building which I will just have to fabricate. Plus I saw some weight limits and I will be well within them. I don't think I will need to raise it any higher than the 20+ feet it is retracted but good to know that I can if I need to.

Again, thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.