Anyone running the P25RX on an M1 Mac successfully?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcman67

Radio and electronics enthusiast since the ‘70’s
Premium Subscriber
I was wanting to see if anyone is running the BTConfig software on an M1 Mac successfully. I just recently got a new M1 powered Mac but BTConfig doesn't even attempt to discover the device when you first run it. It could be the Java implementation that I am using (Azul Zulu builds of OpenJDK). I have Azul Zulu JRE version 8 installed on my M1 Mac. The reason I am not using Oracle's version of Java is because it does not natively run on the M1 processor yet (still Intel based), so I am running the native ARM 64 v8 version. My new M1 Macbook Air has 2 USB-C/Thunderbolt ports on it and I tried using a genuine Apple USB-C to USB adapter but didn't have any luck. BTConfig seems to run ok, but just makes no attempt at all to try and discover the P25RX.

If anyone out there is successfully running the BTConfig/P25RX on a new M1 Mac, I'd be interested in knowing what your setup is like. Thank you!

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
I was wanting to see if anyone is running the BTConfig software on an M1 Mac successfully. I just recently got a new M1 powered Mac but BTConfig doesn't even attempt to discover the device when you first run it. It could be the Java implementation that I am using (Azul Zulu builds of OpenJDK). I have Azul Zulu JRE version 8 installed on my M1 Mac. The reason I am not using Oracle's version of Java is because it does not natively run on the M1 processor yet (still Intel based), so I am running the native ARM 64 v8 version. My new M1 Macbook Air has 2 USB-C/Thunderbolt ports on it and I tried using a genuine Apple USB-C to USB adapter but didn't have any luck. BTConfig seems to run ok, but just makes no attempt at all to try and discover the P25RX.

If anyone out there is successfully running the BTConfig/P25RX on a new M1 Mac, I'd be interested in knowing what your setup is like. Thank you!
I am running it on an M1 Mini without any issues so far. Using Oracle Java 8 and now I see an update just came out today so I am updating now.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
I am running it on an M1 Mini without any issues so far. Using Oracle Java 8 and now I see an update just came out today so I am updating now.
Finished updating to Java 8 update 301 released today talking just fine to the P25RX same as the last version. I bought the mini a few weeks ago and never had an issue talking to theP25RX since day one.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin

Ok I just thought of something so I tried it again on my Intel MacBook Pro. I can duplicate your communication problem on the Intel if I,
Plug the USB C end into my Mac and use the USB to USB C adaptor on the P25rx. It will sit there discovering device all day long. Switch it so the P25rx has the USB C end and the adaptor from USB to USB C is on your Mac. Then it finds the device right away. Works eveytime for me. So not to forget which end goes where I ordered a few USB C to USB C cables from Amazon. Then I just use those. The M1 Mini has 2 USB and 2 USB C's so it has a bit more flexibility. The MacBook has 4 USB C's so I have lots of cables around here now.

pcman67

Premium Subscriber
Ok I just thought of something so I tried it again on my Intel MacBook Pro. I can duplicate your communication problem on the Intel if I,
Plug the USB C end into my Mac and use the USB to USB C adaptor on the P25rx. It will sit there discovering device all day long. Switch it so the P25rx has the USB C end and the adaptor from USB to USB C is on your Mac. Then it finds the device right away. Works eveytime for me. So not to forget which end goes where I ordered a few USB C to USB C cables from Amazon. Then I just use those. The M1 Mini has 2 USB and 2 USB C's so it has a bit more flexibility. The MacBook has 4 USB C's so I have lots of cables around here now.

This is great information! Thank you for responding. I will try what you suggest and see if it works for me. Much appreciated!

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
This is great information! Thank you for responding. I will try what you suggest and see if it works for me. Much appreciated!
No problem. I have had no issues at all on my M1 Mini running P25rx. So let me know if it doesn't work I will try to duplicate it and see what happens. We can take it off line here and e-mail direct and then post results here as to the conclusion, in order to speed up communication then share it for all.

Les

kb8q

Premium Subscriber

I'm able to run BTConfig on a MacBook Air M1. Not having any problem. I've run BTConfig on a Windows 10 Surface Pro and a 7 year old iMac.

James

pcman67

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I am running into an issue where when I run the BTConfig software on my MacBook Air M1, the BTConfig software doesn’t even attempt to search for the P25RX device when it first runs. The only thing I can think of is that I’m not using Rosetta 2 (I have not installed it) to allow my M1 Mac to be able to run software written for Intel-based Macs. It sounds as if @detroit780 may have Rosetta installed since he stated that he’s got the Oracle version of Java installed for which there is only the Intel-based Mac version available at the present time and not a native M1 version of it yet.

@kb8q, are you running the Oracle version of Java on your MacBook Air M1 or do you know if you have Rosetta installed to run Intel-based Mac software?

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
I am running Oracle Java because I did not know it was not supposed to work on an M1. I downloaded it and ran P25RX just fine. I do not have Rosetta installed. Have you tried Oracle Java? I went to their site and they do say Intel processor required on Macs but it does work fine on my M1 as well as my Intel Mac.
Looking at a few Apple sites it looks like Rosetta 2 is part of Big Sur and installs when you run a Windows based program. So Maybe it is installed I don't remember seeing a text box stating it was installing. I searched my M1 for Rosetta and only found text files created by MacLogger my HF logging program that say this: cpu:ARM, rosetta:NO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.