• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Anyone seen the XL-95 in the wild yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

officerdave

Retired LEO
Talked to sales, getting some XL-95s in for demo. ( ok maybe ) Anyone been able to run one yet ?

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
I just looked at Harris TechLink. The XL-95 looks like a down-featured XL-200.

Kinda like the LPE-50 was to the LPE-200, and the P5100 was to the P7100. Same exact radio. Different label, and very limited available feature set. (IE: No encryption or max systems/groups).

Attachments

• XL-95P-Sales_FL_0132_Web.pdf
    229.4 KB · Views: 81

TDR-94

Or a less expensive alternative to the XL-185P.

Last edited:

rjschilder

Kinda like the LPE-50 was to the LPE-200, and the P5100 was to the P7100. Same exact radio. Different label, and very limited available feature set. (IE: No encryption or max systems/groups).
It has encryption, I've personally used one. 7/800mhz only for now.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Have not.
These sort of things are usually released at IWCE or similar conferences/trade shows. Since IWCE has been pushed back to September, the public releases for many new radios has been messed up.

A couple of sites I've visited which have FCC test reports shows September 7, 2021 as the release date. Since IWCE is September 27-30, that fits nicely.

The brochure does show encryption available. My guess is 512 max system/group capacity, like the XG15 (kind of an XG25 Lite as the XG25 is the XG75 Lite).

sbk1982

The XL-95 is the guts of an XL portable inside the body of an XG-75. Still uses the same XG battery and XG speaker mic. System keypad is upgraded to a new configuration to work better with navigating the XL menu options. I believe the XL-95 also has bluetooth which was only available in the XG-25 series previously. I do not believe the LTE capability of the XL-185/200 portables will exist in the XL-95.

The radio is capable of P25 and EDACS plus conventional modes.

This is a budget friendly solution for XG portable radios that are due for upgrade/replacement without having to purchase all new accessories.

KG7PBS

wrong the XL-95P will do AES-256 Encryption. It says it in there brochure

TDR-94

Mark wasn't specifically referring to the XL-95P. He was using encryption as an example of a feature limited version of a P7100 (ie: the less costly P5100 had no encryption capability and was limited to 128 SYS/GRPS).

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
The XL-95 is the guts of an XL portable inside the body of an XG-75. Still uses the same XG battery and XG speaker mic. System keypad is upgraded to a new configuration to work better with navigating the XL menu options. I believe the XL-95 also has bluetooth which was only available in the XG-25 series previously. I do not believe the LTE capability of the XL-185/200 portables will exist in the XL-95.

The radio is capable of P25 and EDACS plus conventional modes.

This is a budget friendly solution for XG portable radios that are due for upgrade/replacement without having to purchase all new accessories.

It's not significantly cheaper than the XL185 per my manager. We were interested for a few microseconds.

BlackhatTaylor

Premium Subscriber
Hi guys- long time lingerer and first time poster.

im on the hook to technically evaluate this radio for my employer before a large purchasr- and I thought I would drop my 2 pennies after my findings today.

#1 - Harris doesn’t have a operator or maintenance manual for this device on pspc, you can find the white papers and sales material, but I haven’t found the manual for the radio. Anywhere.

#2 - RPM-2 doesn’t seem to have the oddities of this new model radio worked out in the programming software. For example, on the 200/185/150 there is a 2 way switch behind the volume knob that can be used to enable/disable encryption, or in our case lock/unlock the radio.You can program the keypad to lock the radio, but there is no option in the radio to unlock. Also, the 95 has 3 buttons on the side, a ptt and two option buttons, I could not program these, forcing me to make one of the 3 option buttons the button to select what zone/system you’re in. There’s a few more small things I found in RPM2 that didn’t line up with the radio - you could tell that there wasn’t a whole lot of testing before fielding.

with RPM-2 use caution on going to the bleeding edge firmware revision as the software release notes identify that upgrading rpm2 to current will make it incompatible with radios x version or below.

#3 audio playback - one of the cornerstones of features for the 200, does not work correctly. The radio I was using would only play the first call the radio received. I did validate that you could navigate to the menus/calls/playback and the newer calls were being recorded - but with no way to put this in the front end, the feature is useless.

#4 noise canceling - Harris has this down, and I validated with music so loud I couldn’t hear myself talking, the call was clear, you couldn’t even hear the music in the background.

Conclusion - When the bugs are ironed out, this has the potential to be my favorite Harris radio. The size of the xg-75 and the feature rich capability of the xl-200 make this radio a potential gem, but the evidence of a rushed deployment have me pulling on the reigns. When a few versions of firmware are deployed to iron out the turbulence, this radio will hum. As I write this, I have had no success updating firmware on any radio by any other process other than 1 radio at a time, 15 minutes per unit. Take this process and multiply it by the amount of releases it’s going to take Harris to get it right and you have a lot of repeat work.

signal703

that's how all the XL series portable work. The quick key traps the last audio heard for repeated playback, such as a phone number, door code, etc. If you want the other calls, you have to get them from the calls menu.

BlackhatTaylor

Premium Subscriber
The last call isn't repeated, the first call is, and it isn't updated unless you clear the buffer. You can go to the menu and get all the calls like you mentioned.

I took the exact personality I put into the XL-95 and programmed it into my XL-200 and the last call is repeated, as advertised.

dypstick

There is a keypad sequence to unlock the radio. I don't have my 95 here to confirm, but I think it is Left Right Up Down on the arrow keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.