Anyone Splitting H/W inputs from a 1010LT in Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm currently running a M-Audio 1010LT in my Windows PC. Each hardware input is paired in the encoding software. I am now trying to migrate everything over to a Linux Platform (openSUSE)

I'm using Edcast and Simplecast to stream 4 feeds from the 1010LT to my Icecast server (3 of these feeds also go to Radio Reference)

I'm wondering if anyone was able to take the hardware inputs and isolate them in Linux so each input can be streamed independently.

Ex - HW1/2 can only be used in combo in windows in an encoder
Can HW1 be sent to 1 encoder, and HW2 be sent to another in Linux?

This would effectively DOUBLE my inputs on my 1010LT just by moving it to my Linux PC.

I have been looking into Darkice and jackd, but can't find too much info. Does anyone know of a good forum to ask?

bezking

Hi Phil,

Is there any reason you particularly chose Suse? I had good luck setting up jack and Darkice on Ubuntu a while back. Now, I used only a single-input soundcard (A Creative Labs X-Fi USB, FWIW), but I think that what you are talking about here can be done. I would look into the GUI utilities for Jack as well just to make things easier...

As for web resources, I would try various IRC channels as well as the openSUSE forums...

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I went with openSUSE because I tried several other Distros and openSUSE seemed to fit me best. My concern is how Linux will read the inputs from the card. From what I can gather, there isn't any software for windows that can recognize HW1 and HW2 as different inputs. Windows sees them as Left and Right.

I'm currently trying to compile Darkice, but it isn't quiet needed until I can find out if I can move my M-Audio card.

Thanks for some direction.. Good to see you yesterday at the S.E.T.

bezking

Gotcha... I googled the 1010LT and saw what you are talking about. I bet if you can find a Linux driver for it you will be in business.

Nice to see you too yesterday, I really learned a lot from everyone...

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I know there are drivers for the 1010LT, and it is on the ALSA list. What I need to know is can each input be singled out for its own encoding giving me 8 inputs, instead of 4 pairs.

lbpd719

look at alasmixer from the command line and see if it will let you control left and right channels. I don't know if your particular card will show up as virtual cards within the driver you are using (which means you would use alsamixer -c0, alsamixer -c1, etc.. Outside of that if you could give more information on the card you are using, and what revision of the drivers, more answers may be available..

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
AWESOME!

I will have to first find some replacement cards to throw in my Windows PC while I butcher err I mean setup my 1010LT into the Linux Box..

lbpd719

let me know if you need help with this project. Sounds like it will be a ton of fun. My streams are shooting out 3 sound cards of a headless Pentium II 400mhz. I did it just to show I could do it

Worked great under Gentoo doing it from a stage 1 build out, but got a little more modern and went with debian. CPU use under debian is a little higher (60% vs less than 10% on Gentoo) I also double encode with streamtranscoderv3 to push the final audio up to the source.

(my munin for that box can be referenced at Munin :: overview

Still working on how I want to accomplish the text tagging under unix type boxes and am open to suggestions.. Great luck on your project.

Status
Not open for further replies.