Anyone tried. 2700 2900 Batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfaricy

I wasn't talking about a website, I'm talking about their stores here in MN. They are franchised and different stores carry different products. :roll:

I read about this thread on CPF and I had to say a few words so I registed.

The highest capacity battery available from Sanyo, the world leader in NiMH battery is 2700 mAh.
Maxcell, who's company information can't even be located on the internet is unlikely to be making something surpassing Sanyo batteries. Keep in mind just because they perform well doesn't mean they're meeting the specs.

Older 1600mAh NiMH works well too.

The Duracell 2650mAh is the best performing battery to my knowledge. I believe Duracell Made in Japan 2650mAh batteries are Sanyo OEM based on fact that small artifacts on cells being identical with Sanyo and the fact they're made in Japan.

I know these batteries hold up to their claim, because I tested them myself
duracell2650testox2.png

In order for a battery to be acceptably considered AA 3,200mAh, the cell must meet the AA size specifications, and following 16 hours of charging at 320mA and 1 hour of rest, it must be capable of delivering 3200mAh to 0.8V E.V. at 640mA load.

red8

i have tried some of those 15 minute charge batteries how ever i am
going to have to replace them due to memory build up and the fact
they are getting to age somewhat. they are good when you first
start to use them infact when did an initial charge i was able to
get from 10-12 hours use wow i wonder how well those 3600mah
batteries would run after a full charge.
red8

batteries would run off of a full charge.

MysticalOS

My 2900's came. scanner has been on 12 staight hours right now and is still 3.66v right now, typically around that number i still got another hour+ left, compared to my 2500 which last 8-10 depending on use, awesome :)

MysticalOS

going on 14 and a half now, however at this point it's just too late in night for radio traffic to drain it. but definite difference

MysticalOS said:
My 2900's came. scanner has been on 12 staight hours right now and is still 3.66v right now, typically around that number i still got another hour+ left, compared to my 2500 which last 8-10 depending on use, awesome :)

What is the brand of 2500mAh batteries you have? My guess is that if you use Energizer or Duracell brand 2500mAh, it would surpass the new generic 2900mAh claim battery you just got.

Also, measuring the voltage wouldn't give you the amount left. It would only tell you when its about to die. If you look at the red graph in the chart I posted a few posts up, you will see that NiMH holds a near constant voltage for most of their useful capacity and plummets down near the end. This is why many battery powered electronics display 1/2 full or 3/4 full most of the time then abruptly shut down.

GTO_04

I get just about the same runtime on the Powerex 2500s as I do on the Sanyo 2700s. So possibly the Powerex are underrated and/or they have lower internal resistance.

Both are very good for scanner use. The Powerex delivers a faster recycle time in a photoflash so the Powerex are better for high drain devices.

GTO_04

MysticalOS

I use GP 2500s and Gp 2300 (stock) the 2900s under same radio traffic (excessive radio chatter on a trunked all digital system) i easily get an extra 2-3 hours more difference over the 2500s. I don't know how accurate the battery charger is i have though but tested rating of the 2900s was 2347 heh. But odd is tested rating on the 2500s was like 2200ish, still wouldn't account for hours of difference.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
i've tried plenty of different batteries including gp, energizer and duracell. from experience duracell has lasted the longest for me in my 396t so i'll continue to use what i have for now and as i replace my batteries,i'll obviously replace them with the duracells, sort of like go with what works best and then stay with it. it sure ain't broke so i aint even gonna try fixin it - know what i mean?

Joe

Codeman

The 15 min Energizer charge is designed for use with 2200mAh (or less) cells. The reason for this is that 2500mAh and up cells have a slightly different chemistry that makes them less suited for the ultra-fast charge rate of the CH15MN charger. I didn't know this when I started using Energizer 2500mAh cells, though. I'll keep using these cells and the charger until the cells are worn out, but will switch over to either Sanyo or the new Duracells, that later of which I've already started using in one of my flashlights. Hopefully, Sanyo's new Eneloop's will be available soon.

BTW - both the Sanyo and the new 2650mAh Duracells are made in Japan.

To maximize the cycle life of the 2500+ mAh cells, I'm also switching over to using my Triton charger.

Last edited:

Codeman

1075 said:
Personally, I will not use a 15 minute charger on my NiMH batteries. IMO it does not charge them fully and it decreases the life of the battery due to excessive heat caused by rapid charging, one hour chargers are better,

More Info. Here;

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

This is a little dated but is interesting;

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

Stereotyping only applies to the typical members of the class being stereotyped. The Energizer CH15MN is a different beast. It uses a more sophisticated charging scheme that reaches full capacity, while keeping temps to a minimum. Plus it has a fan to further control temps. Even the 2500mAh cells don't reach 110°F, which is well below the threshold for heat-induced damage to NiMh cells.

So, while I agree with you in regards to most 15-minute chargers, your points don't apply to the CH15MN.

For some good info on the CH15MN, take a look here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.