• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Anytone Anyone use the AnyTone AT-D578UV III Pro Tri-Band yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I've had one since early December. I was pretty impressed with it overall, especially the ability to configure the rig to your preferences... very similar to the D878. Unfortunately, however, my D578 was one of only a few that had a problem with the firmware update from 1.03 to 1.05. Somehow during that process, I lost all DMR receive audio. Everything else seems fine... just no RX audio on any digital channel. Anytone reports that they are working on the issue and may have a solution sometime next week. In the meantime, I'm watching the digital contacts quietly pass by on the display.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I have had the D578(tri-band with Bluetooth) for 2 weeks. Received it from Bridgecom. Seems to work well. I use a dummy load on it for hotspots, otherwise regular use for analog/DMR repeaters. Nice radio. However, my DMR output seems to be only half of what my analog output is for corresponding low, medium, high, and turbo power levels. Don't know if I need a special digital wattmeter to correctly measure? Same problem reported by some guy in Kansas the other day. I have not tried to update firmware from 1.03 yet, but based on Chief21, think I will wait.
Nice DMR radio. For analog, sounds OK, but my TM-D710, FTM-400XDR, and ID-5100AA are superior for analog reception. D578 gets real hot on high and turbo power settings for analog. I bought the D578 to play with and need a lot more time to really assess it. D578 pretty much like my 878. Have not tried any repeater/crossband experiments yet, but will get to it eventually. Send me a private e-mail if you want further info and we can talk by phone.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
However, my DMR output seems to be only half of what my analog output is for corresponding low, medium, high, and turbo power levels. Don't know if I need a special digital wattmeter to correctly measure? Same problem reported by some guy in Kansas the other day.
:rolleyes:

It's NOT a problem. DMR is TDMA, and since you're not a repeater, you're only TXing one timeslot. So the transmitter is only on 50% of the time, and a standard watt meter will average out the reading to 50% of peak. If your meter has it, use the PEP setting traditionally used for SSB.

dmaria

:rolleyes:

It's NOT a problem. DMR is TDMA, and since you're not a repeater, you're only TXing one timeslot. So the transmitter is only on 50% of the time, and a standard watt meter will average out the reading to 50% of peak. If your meter has it, use the PEP setting traditionally used for SSB.

I believe that does not apply if you are using simplex. On simplex in DMR it will transmit on BOTH time slots. As far as measuring the output, you could always use analog.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I believe that does not apply if you are using simplex. On simplex in DMR it will transmit on BOTH time slots. As far as measuring the output, you could always use analog.
You're wrong, and the meter readings prove it. It' only transmitting on one of two timeslots, so average power is 50% of what it is on analog FM.

dazey77

I don't have one of these yet but after seeing this thread I did some digging on the single frequency repeater. To begin with I just found a few youtube videos but I found it mentioned in the manual too. From my understanding of all these bits, it seems it works a bit like two back to back DMR radios (connected analogue), it only passes traffic it decodes. This is a little different from the Hytera SFR mode, where all traffic on a frequency/colourcode is passed from one timeslot to the other in the digital domain bit for bit, even if its something that the radio cant decode (wrong talkgroup, data, encryption etc.). A Hytera SFR rig of similar power (and only single band) is about 3x the price of this though.
I will probably pick up a 578 at some point to test. . .

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I'm keeping my eye on the 578 for the time being. I'm usually reluctant to buy early production models anyway.
For my purposes, the current 578 would be fine for base station use, but unsuitable for my mobile application since it doesn't have a split mount option.

Have not tried any repeater/crossband experiments yet

Crossband repeat of Digital-to-Analog is the feature which has me interested.

My understanding is that I could have this radio in my truck, and it will convert and repeat traffic from my local DMR repeater to analog which I can monitor on any of my cheap handhelds.

This would be useful to me when I am camping so deep in the woods a handheld cannot not reach the repeater 40 miles away, but the big antenna on my truck will.

Is that true?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I'd love to have one but given that there's no remote separation kit for it... <sigh> Ah well, I don't yet another dual-band DMR radio (I have the CS800D), and certainly not another dual-band 2/70 analog radio (TYT-7800), nor yet another V and U mono-band radio (FT-857)

prcguy

Looks like the head removes similar to their other models and I have an analog tri-band from Anytone that came with a separation kit even though it wasn't advertised. Even without a kit if the head comes off you should be able to remote it with a longer cable.

I'd love to have one but given that there's no remote separation kit for it... <sigh> Ah well, I don't yet another dual-band DMR radio (I have the CS800D), and certainly not another dual-band 2/70 analog radio (TYT-7800), nor yet another V and U mono-band radio (FT-857)

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Looks like the head removes similar to their other models and I have an analog tri-band from Anytone that came with a separation kit even though it wasn't advertised. Even without a kit if the head comes off you should be able to remote it with a longer cable.
Unfortunately not. They chose to use a 20 wire ribbon cable to connect the head to the body! I guess they didn't want to spend a few dollars more for the mux circuitry which would allow for CAT5/6 cable. :(

I'm thinking that such a fragile ribbon cable would not be a particularly good solution.

prcguy

I just ordered an AnyTone AT-D578UV III so we'll see how this goes. The last thing I need in my life is another radio.

BTW, you can get it for $389 from "letsgetready" on fleabay with free shipping and 1yr US warranty.

N5XPM

I just ordered an AnyTone AT-D578UV III so we'll see how this goes. The last thing I need in my life is another radio.

BTW, you can get it for $389 from "letsgetready" on fleabay with free shipping and 1yr US warranty.

Very interested in how your experimenting goes. Am also interested in whether the Part 90 model and the amateur model can both do the Single frequency repeater function. Being able to put up a repeater quickly without a duplexer or 2 antennas would be nice.

prcguy

I'll be testing everything. I used to be able to get a local So Cal codeplug for the Anytone AT-D868UV which is compatible with the AT-D578UV III through the local Papa system website, but now they want you to join for $125/yr before you can download the codeplug. Rats.

Very interested in how your experimenting goes. Am also interested in whether the Part 90 model and the amateur model can both do the Single frequency repeater function. Being able to put up a repeater quickly without a duplexer or 2 antennas would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.