• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Anytone Anyone use the AnyTone AT-D578UV III Pro Tri-Band yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdsteele

Premium Subscriber
I received mine Monday. I've just started to play around with it, mostly analog, but so far, I REALLY like it. I use it in my shack because I don't have enough room for the entire radio under my dash.

• I have gotten great audio reports
  • Other users of the repeater are impressed with the Squelch Tail Eliminator
  • I haven't tried transmitting on 220, but it seems to receive well.
  • The entire DMR ID database is available for download to the radio. Once it's in there, the received station information is shown when they are transmitting.
  • The CPS is pretty easy to use. The programming cable is an off the shelf USB-A to Micro USB. No purchase necessary
  • It's dual receive
  • I used my FT-8800 file that I exported to CSV to download to my 578. Worked without a hitch

That's about all I have right now. As I starting exploring more of the options of the radio, I'll check back in.

prcguy

I've been playing with my new D578UV III today and its a nice radio overall but I do find some faults. It gets Intermod on my big Comet GP-9. I hear paging and ghost voices here and there on UHF amateur. That won't cut it here as a base station without some band pass filters but it might be ok mobile.

I pulled the code plug out of my Anytone D868UV and imported into the D578UV software and that worked fine but it would not download into the radio. It kept saying the frequency was out of range or similar. The 578 arrived as an amateur tri-band radio and the 868 is a dual band only. I finally had to read the 868 with the band hacking program to find it was set up as a European amateur radio and when I made the 578 the same with a "Band 0" command it finally took the huge 1900 channel code plug.

Problem is now the radio is only a dual band with no 220. I will have to command the radio back to a US amateur version and create a code plug from scratch to get all my channels plus the 220 band. That's a PIA. If I make the radio do full amateur/commercial tri band to put in some commercial freqs, it looses many amateur functions, so it looks like it will be stuck as an amateur only radio.

I did try the single frequency dual slot DMR repeat function and although it seems to be working, I have not been able to program my D868 and MD-380 hand helds properly to use it. With one hand held on slot 1 and the other on slot 2 they can talk to each other just fine without the repeater, so its hard to tell if the repeat function is working right. I have to figure out the magic programming on the handhelds to make this work and only receive the needed time slot.

I was thinking about how this single freq DMR repeat thing would work and it may not be the answer for everyone. I believe once its working, one radio in the field will have to be on slot 1 and the other on slot 2. That would be fine for just two radios in the but what if a bunch of people wanted to use this type repeater? Whatever slot a radio is on it would not hear other radios transmitting to the 578 on the same slot. The only thing I can see to make this work would be to have the field radios transmit on one time slot and receive on the other, but I don't see any option for that. I am not up to speed on all the DMR variables but that's how it looks to me. Anyone with knowledge about these things want to comment?

Otherwise the transmit audio on analog is great, the receive audio is fine and there is a boat load of features in this radio.

mancow

Database Admin
If the portables could transmit on one slot and then receive on another it could work like a regular repeater. I think...

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I was thinking about how this single freq DMR repeat thing would work and it may not be the answer for everyone. I believe once its working, one radio in the field will have to be on slot 1 and the other on slot 2. That would be fine for just two radios in the but what if a bunch of people wanted to use this type repeater? Whatever slot a radio is on it would not hear other radios transmitting to the 578 on the same slot. The only thing I can see to make this work would be to have the field radios transmit on one time slot and receive on the other, but I don't see any option for that. I am not up to speed on all the DMR variables but that's how it looks to me. Anyone with knowledge about these things want to comment?
Program all subscriber radios to TX on slot 1, and RX on either slot 1 or 2. Program the repeater to RX slot 1, and TX slot 2.

Everyone will be able to talk to everyone with the same channel settings, regardless of whether the repeater is active or not. The only difference you'll notice on the RX side is that you're receiving on slot 2 if going through the repeater, and slot 1 if going direct subscriber-to-subscriber.

prcguy

My radios can't be programmed to transmit and receive on a different time slot. There is "digi moni" function that will allow receiving one or both slots but that won't make things work with the single freq repeater.

Program all subscriber radios to TX on slot 1, and RX on either slot 1 or 2. Program the repeater to RX slot 1, and TX slot 2.

Everyone will be able to talk to everyone with the same channel settings, regardless of whether the repeater is active or not. The only difference you'll notice on the RX side is that you're receiving on slot 2 if going through the repeater, and slot 1 if going direct subscriber-to-subscriber.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
pulled the code plug out of my Anytone D868UV and imported into the D578UV software and that worked fine but it would not download into the radio. It kept saying the frequency was out of range or similar.
No experience with the 578, but I've seen this on the 878. My workaround was to export the codeplug in CSV format, then import that into the new codeplug.

N4KVE

Ok, I’m confused. Because of the FCC crackdown on Chinese radios, I understand that they came out with a part 90 version that’s a VHF/UHF 136-174, & 400-470 commercial radio. It’s targeted to commercial users, & lacks ham friendly features. They also market a ham friendly version that’s VHF, UHF, & 220, but only transmits on ham freq’s. So why are people buying the ham version, & trying to mod it for 136-174, & 400-470 transmit? Why not buy the radio you need?

prcguy

I believe all models are the exact same hardware, which apparently met FCC specs to be part 90 type accepted. There is a utility program that changes the frequency range to VHF/UHF only and locks down FPP for commercial use, or sets the transmit limits for amateur only and adds 220MHz and FPP. Or you can make it a Thai amateur radio or European commercial radio and so on.

The sticker on mine says its an amateur version and Ideally I want the radio to transmit everywhere, amateur 220 and GMRS, etc, since the hardware is fine for commercial use.

BTW, I spent a few hours tinkering with programming and finally ended up converting an existing huge codeplug from my 868 handheld to a csv file, then imported that into the 578. That worked fine since I could use the utility program to choose the top level freq range, then import all the channels.

Except for the occasional Intermod on UHF using a large antenna in RF hell, this is a very nice high quality radio with more features than I know what to do with. It will do just about anything and you can assign a button to it. Make a hot button for turning the radio into a repeater, another button to switch between the radio speaker or speaker mic, another button to turn on APRS or change power levels or talk around, etc.

Ok, I’m confused. Because of the FCC crackdown on Chinese radios, I understand that they came out with a part 90 version that’s a VHF/UHF 136-174, & 400-470 commercial radio. It’s targeted to commercial users, & lacks ham friendly features. They also market a ham friendly version that’s VHF, UHF, & 220, but only transmits on ham freq’s. So why are people buying the ham version, & trying to mod it for 136-174, & 400-470 transmit? Why not buy the radio you need?

Last edited:

prcguy

I have not reprogrammed my handhelds to test the single freq repeater again but I did try the radio mobile and the display sucks in bright sunlight. When any sunlight hits the display its gone, it would be impossible to go in the menu or make any changes needing the display without pulling over to the side of the road and covering the display with your hand. I will probably make this a garage or hotel travel radio.

ergbert

I'm just intrigued by the possibility of using DMR on 1.25m. That should be a pretty quiet place to chat.

pockettodd

I've been doing some testing on the Anytone D578 (part 90) version in cross-band repeater mode for DMR. My goal was to set up a repeater (digipeater) for handsets and mobiles. I programmed the base station (D578) to do split frequency DMR repeater mode. Per my license programmed the code plug to double slot, receive on VHF frequency 1 (157.725), time slot1 and transmit on frequency 2 (152.465), time slot2. I programmed another 578 (Part 90) to transmit on 157.725, simplex, slot1 and the B frequency (to receive) as 152.465, simplex, slot 2. Everything works when I put the D578 in cross-band repeat mode, however I can only get about 1/2 mile on the transmit of the station before losing any receive signal of another unit broadcasting across the repeater. I can broadcast back to the repeater from the mobile unit just fine and the range is great. As a reference I have a nice repeater antenna mounted about 34' high. So I've been chasing this problem for a few days know and thought I would do a simplex DMR test on the base station to another D578 mobile. When I completed this test today I get great range out of the transmitter to another mobile of over ~18 miles (both ways). So everything works from this base station radio except when I put it in cross-band repeater mode I have very little to no transmit. I'm wondering if this is a firmware bug or possibly a duplexing issue? Either way, cross-band repeater mode is not working under firmware 1.06. I get glitchy screens from time to time as well. Anyone else have any ideas or thoughts?

N5XPM

I've been doing some testing on the Anytone D578 (part 90) version in cross-band repeater mode for DMR. My goal was to set up a repeater (digipeater) for handsets and mobiles. I programmed the base station (D578) to do split frequency DMR repeater mode. Per my license programmed the code plug to double slot, receive on VHF frequency 1 (157.725), time slot1 and transmit on frequency 2 (152.465), time slot2. I programmed another 578 (Part 90) to transmit on 157.725, simplex, slot1 and the B frequency (to receive) as 152.465, simplex, slot 2. Everything works when I put the D578 in cross-band repeat mode, however I can only get about 1/2 mile on the transmit of the station before losing any receive signal of another unit broadcasting across the repeater. I can broadcast back to the repeater from the mobile unit just fine and the range is great. As a reference I have a nice repeater antenna mounted about 34' high. So I've been chasing this problem for a few days know and thought I would do a simplex DMR test on the base station to another D578 mobile. When I completed this test today I get great range out of the transmitter to another mobile of over ~18 miles (both ways). So everything works from this base station radio except when I put it in cross-band repeater mode I have very little to no transmit. I'm wondering if this is a firmware bug or possibly a duplexing issue? Either way, cross-band repeater mode is not working under firmware 1.06. I get glitchy screens from time to time as well. Anyone else have any ideas or thoughts?

This sounds a little like desensing the second (receive) radio in the car.
Might need to separate the two radios more in your test or have a second person in a different car talking to you on the cell while testing, I think you are close to success.
You could also drive a few miles, stop and get out and separate the radios by 15 or 20 feet and see if it works. Thanks for sharing your efforts.

pockettodd

This sounds a little like desensing the second (receive) radio in the car.
Might need to separate the two radios more in your test or have a second person in a different car talking to you on the cell while testing, I think you are close to success.
You could also drive a few miles, stop and get out and separate the radios by 15 or 20 feet and see if it works. Thanks for sharing your efforts.
Thank you for your note. I think I didn't explain my situation very well. When I set this up with 3 radios using one of the D578 radios as the "base station" connected to my repeater antenna on the house (cross band repeater mode active) and the other two radios are set up to use the repeater frequency pair. One radio is an Anytone 878 handheld and the other is a D578 mobile in the truck. When I transmit under the canopy of the repeater the handheld tx/rx just fine and everything works as you would expect through a repeater. However, then I jump in the truck and leave going down the road about 1/2 mile and then cease to hear the handheld broadcasting through the repeater. The handheld can hear me just fine as I'm hitting the repeater and tx back to the HT but when the HT transmits back I cannot hear (through the remote mobile) the transmission of the HT. Thus, I've determined that the TX part of the repeater is not working or transmitting with the full power of the D578. It only works locally. The test I did confirms that when you take the D578 out of cross-band repeater mode and I use a channel I've set up for simplex PTP communication it works great over distance. Something in the radio is not allowing it to receive and repeat on the other frequency at full power. Hope that helps clarify the problem with the D578. Much thanks.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Thank you for your note. I think I didn't explain my situation very well. When I set this up with 3 radios using one of the D578 radios as the "base station" connected to my repeater antenna on the house (cross band repeater mode active) and the other two radios are set up to use the repeater frequency pair. One radio is an Anytone 878 handheld and the other is a D578 mobile in the truck. When I transmit under the canopy of the repeater the handheld tx/rx just fine and everything works as you would expect through a repeater. However, then I jump in the truck and leave going down the road about 1/2 mile and then cease to hear the handheld broadcasting through the repeater. The handheld can hear me just fine as I'm hitting the repeater and tx back to the HT but when the HT transmits back I cannot hear (through the remote mobile) the transmission of the HT. Thus, I've determined that the TX part of the repeater is not working or transmitting with the full power of the D578. It only works locally. The test I did confirms that when you take the D578 out of cross-band repeater mode and I use a channel I've set up for simplex PTP communication it works great over distance. Something in the radio is not allowing it to receive and repeat on the other frequency at full power. Hope that helps clarify the problem with the D578. Much thanks.

Your issue may be you aren't doing cross-band repeat, you are doing in-band repeat. The receiver is probably being desensed as mentioned earlier.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Definitely receiver desense. Only 5 MHz between frequencies in the same band. The only way that will work is if you use single frequency DMR repeater mode where the radio is alternating between TX and RX and not trying to do both at the same time.

dazey77

As I understand it, he is attempting single frequency repeater (in concept) but splitting the single frequency repeater onto different frequencies. Nothing to say that this is permitted of course but also tricky to understand why the two sides of the radio are synced in time when they are both on the same frequency and not when they are on different frequencies. Perhaps they switch operational mode in single frequency repeater mode. With the two sides un-synced in time de-sense will of course happen.
I am not clear exactly how the SFR operates on this radio.

mitbr

I now have my new 578 today and was bear setting it up LOL.
Is there a way you can listen to a dmr talkgroup from brandmeister and on the second rcvr a local repeater dmr talkgroup at the same time? how do you set this up?
Thanks.
Tim

pockettodd

Your issue may be you aren't doing cross-band repeat, you are doing in-band repeat. The receiver is probably being desensed as mentioned earlier.
Update: So I went back to the drawing board and set up the 578 as a single frequency DMR repeater. Again, I got it to work around the house but still getting intermittent digital audio drops every once in a while. So it worked (kinda) but then again when I went beyond 1/2 mile the system doesn't transmit correctly (no range). I would agree with the other commentors here regarding desense on seperate frequencies but theoretically it should work in digital on the same frequency. Theses are packets that are being received on Time slot 1 and then rebroadcast (on the same frequency) on time slot 2. This is a digital carrier transmission similar to a TDMA (which the ETSI standard is) so it should work but doesn't. I reached out to Bridgecom Systems and have been waiting all week for a reply to this problem. They told me that even though Anytone says they have a "cross-band repeater mode" that it doesn't work because there is no internal duplexer and you actually need a real repeater. "Its just a radio", they said. They went on to say that it definitely is not designed to do VHF to VHF, or UHF to UHF cross-banding. I wish I would have known all this because I spent a good solid 2-3 weeks of trying to make it work. So I guess repeater here I come. Had a nice conversation regarding Hytera digital repeaters so I might go in that direction. Thanks everyone...

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Update: So I went back to the drawing board and set up the 578 as a single frequency DMR repeater. Again, I got it to work around the house but still getting intermittent digital audio drops every once in a while. So it worked (kinda) but then again when I went beyond 1/2 mile the system doesn't transmit correctly (no range). I would agree with the other commentors here regarding desense on seperate frequencies but theoretically it should work in digital on the same frequency. Theses are packets that are being received on Time slot 1 and then rebroadcast (on the same frequency) on time slot 2. This is a digital carrier transmission similar to a TDMA (which the ETSI standard is) so it should work but doesn't. I reached out to Bridgecom Systems and have been waiting all week for a reply to this problem. They told me that even though Anytone says they have a "cross-band repeater mode" that it doesn't work because there is no internal duplexer and you actually need a real repeater. "Its just a radio", they said. They went on to say that it definitely is not designed to do VHF to VHF, or UHF to UHF cross-banding. I wish I would have known all this because I spent a good solid 2-3 weeks of trying to make it work. So I guess repeater here I come. Had a nice conversation regarding Hytera digital repeaters so I might go in that direction. Thanks everyone...

That sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.