Anyone use the rear serial port on BCD996XT for PC connection to USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichinTx

Unit is next to my PC and I'd like to have a permanent connection from the rear DB9 on the scanner to USB on the PC for data transfer and virtual control with software. If anyone is doing this what cable and driver are you using and what PC software?

edit: OS is Windows 7 64 bit

Thanks

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I do this with all my live feed radios.

Any null modem cable/adapter and any serial-to-USB converter will work.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Unit is next to my PC and I'd like to have a permanent connection from the rear DB9 on the scanner to USB on the PC for data transfer and virtual control with software. If anyone is doing this what cable and driver are you using and what PC software?

edit: OS is Windows 7 64 bit

Thanks

I am and have since I bought it. I believe its just a normal serial cable (aka null modem as pointed out above). The Win7 PC I'm usingit with has a serial port. If you use a serial port, there aren't any drivers, just the ones for the motherboard. If you don't have a serial port, you can use a serial cable with a serial to USB adapter. You will also need to specify which port (front or rear) you wish to use on the scanner.

As far as software, I use ProScan. No matter which software you use, you'll need to pick the correct serial port (real serial and USB will show up under serial ports).
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Last edited:

adamr368

Premium Subscriber
I use this configuration without issue. Remember, you can use a standard serial cable with a null modem adapter or a null modem cable which is also commonly referred to as a console cable. A regular straight through serial cable will not work...

NYRHKY94

Me too. On my BCD996T I use a null modem cable with the back port to send data & audio to a Proscan feed. I also use the front port on that same scanner for an RH-96 remote head connection.

RichinTx

Thank You

Thanks guys. I think the usb-serial cable I have is a straight through.
I'm using a mini gender changer since the serial end of the cable is male.
Sounds like all I need is to swap out the mini gender changer with a mini f/f null modem adapter.
I appreciate the responses.

Scooper_B

996 Rear Port Query

NYRHKY94
What is the pinout on the rear prot to obtain data and audio?
I also noticed an indication for GPS power.
Is 5vdc included on the rear port to power a self contained GPS module?
Thanks

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
NYRHKY94
What is the pinout on the rear prot to obtain data and audio?
I also noticed an indication for GPS power.
Is 5vdc included on the rear port to power a self contained GPS module?
Thanks

I'm not NYRHKY94 but I can answer.
The rear port (and the front port) are RS-232 signals which means they do not provide audio. An audio cable is needed plugged into one of the 1/8 inch phono jacks for recording or streaming audio. The DB-9 connector uses pins 2 and 3 for TX & RX. I don't know where you see the "indication for GPS power" but the rear port (with only pins 2 & 3 used) does not provide power.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.