Anyone use this telescopic whip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I would be willing to bet that it works as well as any other telescoping whip. That is to say, depending on the length setting, it will be a quarter wave. Will not work above say 470Mhz because it will be too long. Will not work below say 80Mhz because its to short. Otherwise, if it meets your meets and your radio uses a BNC (or adaptor), it would work fine.

DMSROX2

My listening consists of mainly the air band and 800mhz. I had hoped I could adjust for the one I was monitoring. I found this antenna did no better on the VHF and air band than my Radio Shack 800 rubber duck. YMMV

TDR-94

I was looking into it because I wanted an all black version instead of the typical shiny chrome whips and also didn't know if it was one of those bogus Chinese knock-offs.

Sounds like it isn't a very good performer.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I was looking into it because I wanted an all black version instead of the typical shiny chrome whips and also didn't know if it was one of those bogus Chinese knock-offs.

Sounds like it isn't a very good performer.
Try this one:
Diamond RH789 SRH789 Antenna
Available with wither a BNC or SMC mount. Used one on my HP-1 when I spent a month in the hospital last year. Did very well, better than I expected. It's marked on the side for how many sections to pull out for various frequency ranges.

nanZor

My listening consists of mainly the air band and 800mhz. I had hoped I could adjust for the one I was monitoring. I found this antenna did no better on the VHF and air band than my Radio Shack 800 rubber duck. YMMV

Yep, not so great on airband. I kind of went overboard on analysis earlier:

http://forums.radioreference.com/sc...enter-loaded-telescoping-scanner-antenna.html

For vhf / airband use, the common trick is to actually short out the coil, by merely pushing the topmost part of the whip back into the coil until you feel a bit of resistance. You can tell the difference on vhf and airband.

AC2OY

Has anybody tried that Comet WX 1000bnc something? Not to sure about that double joint connector but from the reviews I read folks who were having trouble pulling signals it seemed to work better. It also extends to 40 inches. I wonder it that would help me with the military and airbands?!

nanZor

There is no real magic to telescopics from one manufacturer to another.

One typically adjusts it to either 1/4 wave (234 / f mhz = feet) or possibly 3/4 wave for a "dual band" that works out as a 1/4 wave on one, and a 3/4 at 3 times that length.

All you need for vhf airband monitoring is about 22 inches minimum. For milair, with it's super wideband nature, at 300mhz that is about 9.5 inches. If your milair interests are primarily lower in the band, then you can calculate for that frequency, and of course also for the higher frequency activity. But generally, 9 inches is a good compromise for your typical handheld setup near to the milair activity no matter what the frequency.

However, if you buy junk, counterfeits and the like, you may find that the manufacturing process is shoddy, like there not being an actual connection from the center pin of the bnc to the telescopic itself. THIS is what can lead to one proclaiming that a Diamond telescopic beats the pants off some off-market deal too good to be true.

SCPD

QRT
i dunno

There is no real magic to telescopics from one manufacturer to another.

One typically adjusts it to either 1/4 wave (234 / f mhz = feet) or possibly 3/4 wave for a "dual band" that works out as a 1/4 wave on one, and a 3/4 at 3 times that length.

All you need for vhf airband monitoring is about 22 inches minimum. For milair, with it's super wideband nature, at 300mhz that is about 9.5 inches. If your milair interests are primarily lower in the band, then you can calculate for that frequency, and of course also for the higher frequency activity. But generally, 9 inches is a good compromise for your typical handheld setup near to the milair activity no matter what the frequency.

However, if you buy junk, counterfeits and the like, you may find that the manufacturing process is shoddy, like there not being an actual connection from the center pin of the bnc to the telescopic itself. THIS is what can lead to one proclaiming that a Diamond telescopic beats the pants off some off-market deal too good to be true.

i dunno theres different metals and lengths,I had a different bnc on that was better than the shorter BNC one I have now.I think the new one uses scrap metal or something.The older one worked better. Should have kept the one that came with the BCD-996xt.crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.