Anyone use throat mics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

I was looking for cheap radio accessories on ebay and came across a throat mic. (ebay item 150061013695). My friend and I are thinking that these would be great for when we are using our rescue truck, as the engine and generators can get loud enough to drown people out. Has anyone used something similar to these? If it works as its described, it would be perfect for us.
I don't think it matters, but they would be used with a Motorola HT1250. I am aware that we would need to purchase the audio adapter to use this.

Thanks

GP300TR2PT_A1a.jpg

mancow

Database Admin
I have a couple that are similar. One is for the saber and is thicker. The problem is that the Chinese obviously modeled it after their own kind, not some corn fed lumbering American. I'm not very big but the thing is like a choke collar on me. I used a heat gun to loosen it up a bit but it's still too small.

The second is for the VX7R. It looks more like the one you are showing there and it seems to be a piece of bendable metal with plastic on it. That thing isn't too bad at all.

They both have EXCELLENT audio on transmit and RX is good too. I mean they outdo our $700 ComSpec throat mics any day of the week.

I don't know how well they would do in fire service since they are so hot. They are great for LEO use, especially surveillance ops. The wiring isn't bad but it's not ruggedized by any means. It wouldn't take much to destroy one.

I'm a small guy so that would probably fit me well. I'm an EMT, and our squad does vehicle extrication, so heat would not be a problem. How comfortable are they to wear?

car2back

I used one briefly during my stint as a FF, worked great but didn't hold up to the abuse it went through. We had some huge 5 ton M809's that served as wildland trucks... everyone complained that you couldn't ever hear what you were saying while they were driving, because they didn't have a muffler and the exhaust ran along the a pillar on the passenger side of the cab, but the throat mike completely fixed that problem.

I forgot I was wearing it when it wasn't in use, and it fit well under a nomex hood.

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
Of course, it depends on the size of the thing and the person wearing it but they aren't too bad. I tend to forget it's there if it's not adjusted too tight.

I'm a small guy so that would probably fit me well. I'm an EMT, and our squad does vehicle extrication, so heat would not be a problem. How comfortable are they to wear?

Thanks for the insight. I sent an email to the guy asking how much the shipping would be for our order, and if its reasonable, we'll be ordering them. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.