Anyone used MFJ-2982 hf vertical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluestallion

I'm not going to be able to use a dipole antenna like i was hoping to. I'm looking at getting the mfj 2982 33ft 80-6m vertical. Was wondering if anyone has had good or bad luck with these antennas. 73s kc9oza

K2AFY

Not knowing your budget and from practical experience portable and at my qth I'd recommend the s9 verticals now sold by LDG.

GSPD

Just make sure when you start to narrow down your search, you stop by Eham and check out the reviews for your particular antennas. They can offer some real insight.

K6UMO

MFJ-2982

I am also interested in this featherweight vertical as a means of setting up an antenna in a CCR restricted neighborhood. My plan would be to use a ground mount like the MFJ-1901, leave it and the radials in place, and only mount the antenna when I plan to use it. Perhaps the matchbox and a remote tuner can also be permanently mounted and covered by a fake rock.

Has anyone used this antenna? I can find no reviews on eHam.

Does anyone have a copy of the manual that they can email to me? MFJ doesn't list it on their site.

TNX

LtDoc

All antennas of this sort are compromises both in electrical and physical aspects. None of them will perform as well as a well designed, 'obtrusive', heavy duty, real 'full-sized' antenna. If that will satisfy your requirements then this sort of antenna should work for you. One part that isn't stressed in any of the advertisements is that a -good- ground system is required. That means that a couple of radials of about the 'right' lengths for a particular band is very, very seldom going to be very 'good'.
That 'performance' thingy is about radiation patterns, not about a nice SWR. World of difference there. Those radiation patterns are dependent on physical size/height. I'm afraid there's no way around that. So, if you expect fantastic performance on bands where the antenna isn't at least close to a 1/4 wave length, be prepared for disappointment. Happy thought, huh?
- 'Doc

acyddrop

Premium Subscriber
Vertical antennas are quite good, but they require proper care and feeding. You may want to look at the Hustler BTVx antennas if you haven't as well. Tuning them isn't horrible and they preform decently. I don't recall off hand what they require for counterpoise.

One thing is certain and that is feeding them is tricky. It's better to use a remote tuner than one up by your rig if you plan on using a non-resonant vertical.

Sent from my Funky EclipticRez v9

jhooten

Bought the MFJ for Field Day last year. Still have not been able to get it to work. The mast is just ok. The Balun/loading coil sucks. It rates a don't buy in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.