Anyone using RT Systems software for Yaesu VX8 radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadetklapp

I'm having a lot of difficulty using RT Systems software on my Panasonic Toughbook CF-28. I'm running XP with SP 3. I can open the software, mess with it, but I cannot get the computer and the radio to talk to each other. Over and over I keep getting the same "Make Sure RT Systems Cable is plugged into USB serial port" message. Going into device manager and clicking on the the "unknown device" which is the cable, it says "the drivers for this device are not installed (code 28)" and then asks me if I want to reinstall driver. I select that, run the disk back in, but it just ignores it and states that the files are no where on the computer, even though I can see them in the program file!

RT systems has not been very helpful. When I called I was told they would just send me another cable. The problem is, this works fine on two other computers, just not on the computer I bought it for. So it's obviously on my end. I don't want another cable, I want to install the hardware that I have. Something is not right in how my computer is reading the drivers.

Any help is appreciated.

LtDoc

If the computer can't find the driver on the CD, copy the to the hard drive where other drivers are. Sounds like the computer doesn't 'see' the CD.
- 'Doc

kadetklapp

Well, I believe I tried that. I used the troubleshooting manual that came on the software which states that I needed to go into device manager, open the cable, initiate new hardware install wizard, copy/pasted the location of where the drivers are in the program, and hit "next"

After nearly ZERO time actually trying to look for it, the computer says "Cannot install this Hardware" The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot locate the necessary software'

And that's BS because I'm sitting here looking at it.

Rob_K

Feed Provider
If the computer can't find the driver on the CD, copy the to the hard drive where other drivers are. Sounds like the computer doesn't 'see' the CD.
- 'Doc

I would try this. Go to My Computer, open (or browse) the CD contents. Copy all of them to a new folder on your C: drive. Go back to device manager and when prompted for driver location "point" it to the folder on C: that you copied the files to.

Another thought is to try a different USB port on the toughbook.

kadetklapp

No dice. I can copy/paste the exact location of where the files are for the drivers and it just ignores it.

There is no other USB on this CF-28. Only one (FML).

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
This is a complete stab in the dark.. Try selecting "Uninstall" in Device Manager when you see that "Unknown Device". Perhaps you have a corrupted partial install of the drivers. After it removes it, pull the cable out, install the drivers off the CD, then plug the cable in again.

Another thing that I once had an issue with, specifically with a GRE scanner that has the funky USB to PC/IF (3.5mm plug) cable ... their driver seemed to conflict with another USB to serial driver installed on my machine for a completely separate piece of equipment (IIRC it was for an OBDII reader). Removing both of them and reinstalling them so that the GRE driver was installed "last" made both devices work happily.

kadetklapp

I'll give that a try, thanks.

I've got Win500 running on this machine as well, so there is a RS 20-047 cable installed as well.

Howdy_All

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Go to the G4HFQ web site and buy a better software program.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Howdy_All: There's one specifically for the VX-8GR? The insinuation is about that software for the 8DR and 8R will not work on the 8GR (or will brick it).

kadetklapp

ANYWAY, back to the subject at hand.

Uninstalling other drivers didn't work. Like I said, it works on my desktop but not on my laptop (which is designated for programming radios on the go). That tells me it's something in my machine. Not the software.

Howdy_All

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hey thanks for the worthless advice. I'm not going to buy software made in some shed with no product support.

I'm offended by this post.
The mans name is Bob Freeth.
I had a problem understanding how to toggle the port to get it to recognize the cable.
I was cooking breakfast one Saturday morning and on the other end was Bob himself.
He called me from England to USA just to tell me what I was doing wrong and he sat with me until I got it to work, and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

I threw the RT Systems disc away.
There is so many things you can do with your G4HFQ software that you cannot do with the Yaesu program - it isn't even funny.

kadetklapp

I had a problem understanding how to toggle the port to get it to recognize the cable.
I was cooking breakfast one Saturday morning and on the other end was Bob himself.
He called me from England to USA just to tell me what I was doing wrong and he sat with me until I got it to work, and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

There is so many things you can do with your G4HFQ software that you cannot do with the Yaesu program - it isn't even funny.

And I'm offended by yours. It was rude to rag on me for my choice of software. I did not ask for your opinion. I was asking for help with what i had purchased. I had never heard of it before you ran in here with your "suggestion" (ya, I'm going to throw away $70 worth of products and try something else, so helpful).

I don't think RT has the best tech support by a long shot, but your post was not helpful in the least.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

kadetklapp said:
Howdy_All said:

And I'm offended by yours. It was rude to rag on me for my choice of software. I did not ask for your opinion. I was asking for help with what i had purchased. I had never heard of it before you ran in here with your "suggestion" (ya, I'm going to throw away $70 worth of products and try something else, so helpful).

I don't think RT has the best tech support by a long shot, but your post was not helpful in the least.

Says the guy that bashed software he knows nothing about. His software DOES work well, is very versatile and he provides EXCEPTIONAL support.

Last edited:

kadetklapp

Ok, you aren't hearing me I guess.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON HOW TO SOLVE MY PROBLEM WITH RT SYSTEMS SOFTWARE, PLEASE DON'T POST.

Is that better? I don't care what software you prefer. That doesn't help the fact that I bought something else. Go beat your drum somewhere else.

kadetklapp

kadetklapp

Anything bad I said about RT Systems support I totally take back. These guys took the time to remote into my computer and find and fix the problem (which was not the software, but my device manager). Great service and the programmer is working just fine. I look forward to buying more from them in the future.

Thanks to those in this thread who offered some actual advice rather than criticism over my personal choice of software.

Status
Not open for further replies.