Anyone Using the DB Site: Short-Wave.Info ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Came across this very nice (database) site:
short-wave.info

Was wondering if anyone else here is using ?

Having a devil of a time with it; sometimes it works,
and other times I get an error msg re "Your file couldn't be accessed"

As usual, I am probably doing something wrong, but, again, it does
work on an initial use.

Probably some files I am missing, or in the wrong place, but I don't seem to
have any Folder, anywhere, for ? Goes right to their site.

Doesn't seem to be any Registration requirement, but maybe I am missing it ?

Anyone help me out with this ?

Thanks,
Bob

GB46

Hello,

Came across this very nice (database) site:
short-wave.info

Was wondering if anyone else here is using ?

Having a devil of a time with it; sometimes it works,
and other times I get an error msg re "Your file couldn't be accessed"

As usual, I am probably doing something wrong, but, again, it does
work on an initial use.

Probably some files I am missing, or in the wrong place, but I don't seem to have any Folder, anywhere, for ? Goes right to their site.

Doesn't seem to be any Registration requirement, but maybe I am missing it ?
I just had a look at that site, and everything seems to be working as intended. I'm not sure what file or folder you're talking about, because the database works online, and doesn't require anything from your local machine. What were you trying to do when you got the error message?

PS: I'll check the accuracy of their database once I have a broadcaster tuned in here. Right now there's nothing but noise, but there are a couple of stations I know of that are sure to be the air in an hour or so.

wscranston

I use it all the time with no problems. It's usually pretty accurate (as far as these sort of things are accurate). Which platform/browser? What are you doing when you get the error?

GB46

I think the error must have been generated by Bob's browser. The site works just fine, and I've looked up two of the stations I can currently hear on the air; the database has them.

It's a nice resource, but I use EIBIView with the latest downloadable database file at eibispace.de, because the app doesn't require an internet connection once the database file is in place.

BOBRR

Hi,

Thanks for help with this. Running W10 and Firefox.
Would really like to use it, but...

Works fine for approx. 10-15 lookups.

Then, it (always) hangs up with the error msg. "your file couldn't be accessed".
No idea what this is referring to. Anyone know what file they are referring to ?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

BTW: am I correct that there is no site Registration required ? Or any other sign in, etc. req. ?

Stay well, regards,
Bob

GB46

You're right, Bob, no registration is required. I have no idea which file the message is referring to, but since there's no file required on your computer, Firefox may be having trouble accessing a file on the website. I'm using Pale Moon, which is an offshoot of Firefox, and so far I haven't run into the same problem. Perhaps Windows 10 is causing it; I'm still running Windows 7, but I know that lots of people are reporting various problems with 10. Have you tried viewing the site with the Edge browser, which is built into 10? I can't think of anything else to suggest.

One thing I did notice, however: I had NHK Radio Japan tuned in here on 11630 khz, so I searched short-wave.info for that frequency and it was listed as on the air. But when I searched for the station by name, the list that came up didn't include 11630.

BOBRR

Hi all,

Thanks for comments.

Guess I'll try a different Browser and see what happens.

Stay well,
Bob

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Short-wave.info is my main go-to. I use it a lot. It's not 100% accurate, but good enough to be very useful.

For what it's worth, I often check a dozen or so frequencies in a session. Never had troubles here.. Using Firefox.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That site uses the Aoki database, and of course, it's only going to be as accurate as the last updates.

A much more comprehensive way to get things like this is to join the SWSkeds reflector on groups.io. A spreadsheet with a few other files mixed in, is updated very frequently, and combines several sources such as the Aoki, EiBi and HFCC lists, among several others. The individual who produces these files is a former past president of the North American SW Association (NASWA) (I gotta change the references on the wiki...).

Of particular note - this data can be directly used by Perseus SDR owners, SDR Console (which supports numerous SDRs and uses the .csv version of this file) and SDRUno users (which supports the SDRPlay family of SDRs; use the Perseus userlist.txt file).

Things change so rapidly that it's a herculean task to keep up with this. The season schedules are just starting to come out - you can see the changes as reported on the World of Radio reflector, again, on groups.io

Mike

Boombox

I use Short-Wave.info a lot, both on a tablet and a laptop using Win10. Never had problems with it. Haven't had much issue with outdated info on it. Stations are fewer and farther between these days, they don't flip about as much as they did in the 1980s and 1990s.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you subscribed to the World of Radio reflector on groups.io, you'd see there are numerous changes going on almost all the time. Databases like Aoki depend on someone loading changes then it's up to whoever runs the website to reload it. That's why depending on a website that uses only 1 source of information isn't always the best idea, especially since schedules are now changing for the B20 season....Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.