Anyone want to program a scanner for $$$?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbon1

Bought a scanner for FIL...would like to have it ready to go out the box. Anyone within 50 miles of monroe care to do it?
Thanks

carbon1

Maybe I should tell ya'll that this is a 996XT that i have been scouring the net & RR trying to figure out how to do this myself...it looks like I should just save time and "hire a pro"

kma371

QRT
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

If you download Freescan you can easily do it yourself through radioreference...

carbon1

Well, I have:

Downloaded FreeScan
Tried to get a premium RR account
Don't have PayPal
Had friend PP RR for my upgrade
Waiting 3 days because of some RR delay with PP
Have 2 laptops and 1 desktop with no serial ports
Serial/USB adapter that may/may not work from RS $42.50
Been reading FreeScan and RR wiki to be ready...

Just seems I could be money and time ahead to pay someone to program

Going back to the wiki's....

carbon1

Well, everything came together about 9pm last night. The serial/usb patch cable from RS worked. Loaded conventional freq and had it running. RR allowed me access to trunked systems shortly after. I have not messed with the higher end functions yet and doubt it is a "pretty" download/install by any means...but its scanning.
I had read that FreeScan was easy to use but, with me knowing nothing of the scanning world, i really did not want to put the effort to learn as much as I have had to. So that should be a tribute to the software designer...if someone without any basic scanner knowledge can figure it out, someone in the scanner world should have no trouble...

BTW...FIL better damn well enjoy this after all this ;-)

mrkelso

Well, everything came together about 9pm last night. The serial/usb patch cable from RS worked. Loaded conventional freq and had it running. RR allowed me access to trunked systems shortly after. I have not messed with the higher end functions yet and doubt it is a "pretty" download/install by any means...but its scanning.
I had read that FreeScan was easy to use but, with me knowing nothing of the scanning world, i really did not want to put the effort to learn as much as I have had to. So that should be a tribute to the software designer...if someone without any basic scanner knowledge can figure it out, someone in the scanner world should have no trouble...

BTW...FIL better damn well enjoy this after all this ;-)

Congrats on taking your first steps. You did good, now just add other freqs as you go and before long you will have your scanner to where you want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.