Anything Better Than a PSR-800?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve888

After much research, I've decided to buy a PSR-800 (Home Patrol came in a close second) but I can afford to pay more for a better scanner so I was looking at the AOR AR-8200 MK3. Would this be a better choice than the PSR-800 for a newbie or are there are other scanners out there you could recommend?

My budget is up to $1,000. Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
For a "Newbie" I would recommend the 800.

I don't believe the AOR gives you the ability to decode X2-TDMA which is used in your area.(The HP doesn't either)
Ease of programming.
Seems to be more sensitive than my HP.
Also, the size versus the other 2 listed.

These are just a few reasons, if you have any more detailed questions I'd be more than happy to help.

safetyobc

I would say if you are "inexperienced" then the 800 is a great choice. It also depends on your listening needs. If you want to hear trunking and/or P25, the AOR isn't going to decode those signals. Also the AOR is more of a receiver than a scanner.

If you want a little more options with your radio, then look at the PSR-500 or BCD396XT. Both are great P25/trunking scanners and offer a lot of "tweaking" to your listening/setup.

I would say that the AOR is not a newbie radio. More for advanced users who want to monitor specific frequency or range of frequencies and less for general scanning of police/fire/ems, etc.

steve888

Thanks!

Yes, there are two agencies in my area on X2-TDMA at the moment (Loudoun County, VA and Prince Georges County, MD) and I know the PSR-800 works on those systems. I've heard that Fairfax County, VA is going to convert over at some point soon to X2-TDMA as well. The one thing I was a little concerned about is that I've heard the final version of X2-TDMA hasn't been set in stone yet but that once it is, the PSR-800 might not be able to receive it. Not sure if that's anything to worry about or not.

But, I agree, the 800 seems a lot easier to program than the AOR, seems to sound better than the HP1, and is smaller/easier to move around with.

I just hope it's not rendered obsolete whenever the final version of X2-TDMA comes out!

For a "Newbie" I would recommend the 800.

I don't believe the AOR gives you the ability to decode X2-TDMA which is used in your area.(The HP doesn't either)
Ease of programming.
Seems to be more sensitive than my HP.
Also, the size versus the other 2 listed.

These are just a few reasons, if you have any more detailed questions I'd be more than happy to help.

steve888

Thanks As Well

Sounds like the AR-8200 wouldn't be the best choice so I'll stick with either the PSR-500/800 or the 396XT. It might make sense to save a little money by going with the 500 or 396XT while we wait for the final version of X2-TDMA to be complete.

Thanks again for the speedy reply and for saving me some money!

I would say if you are "inexperienced" then the 800 is a great choice. It also depends on your listening needs. If you want to hear trunking and/or P25, the AOR isn't going to decode those signals. Also the AOR is more of a receiver than a scanner.

If you want a little more options with your radio, then look at the PSR-500 or BCD396XT. Both are great P25/trunking scanners and offer a lot of "tweaking" to your listening/setup.

I would say that the AOR is not a newbie radio. More for advanced users who want to monitor specific frequency or range of frequencies and less for general scanning of police/fire/ems, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.