Anything Federal in Nashvillle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
Nope. Very, very, very little. 170.75 is about the only truly active freq here and it's 100 percent encrypted. The only time any other Fed freqs are active is only when those agencies you mentioned are in town tailing someone or a special event which is hardly ever. This place truly SUCKS when it comes to Fedcoms and Milcomms.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
Matter of fact i don't think Nashville even has any federal law enforcement agency offices in town. Maybe Secret Service but thats it. They might have offices but no field agents actively persuing bad guys on the radio.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
Is there anything federal in Nashville worth listening too?

FBI
DEA
Military

Anything at all?

Aw, come on guys, use the search function. I was only in Nashville for a couple of days and found these:

168.2250 N555 P-25 UNKNOWN
172.4250 CSQ TONE & VOICE PAGING?
406.6625 N293 FEDERAL RESERVE BRANCH NASHVILLE
408.0000 N283 POSSIBLE VAMC AT VANDERBILT UNIV CAMPUS
409.1000 D125 ? MONITORED NEAR OPRYLAND / BNA AIRPORT AREA
410.3750 CSQ TONE PAGING (POCSAG)
410.8000 CSQ ? Feedback

Sure, it might not be all surveillance and drug busts, but it's a start. And the Federal Reserve had a fire alarm go off the night I was listening, so that was something. :)

Most federal law enforcement is not going to be busy 24-7, so you have to seek them out when they get active! I wouldn't be surprised if there were some federal operations utilizing the Nashville/Davidson County trunked system.

Good luck and keep looking!

- Chris

ecps92

Search is fun !

148.1250 107.2/$430 - Newly Rebanded CAP - Nashville

Aw, come on guys, use the search function. I was only in Nashville for a couple of days and found these:

410.8000 CSQ ? Feedback

Sure, it might not be all surveillance and drug busts, but it's a start. And the Federal Reserve had a fire alarm go off the night I was listening, so that was something. :)

Most federal law enforcement is not going to be busy 24-7, so you have to seek them out when they get active! I wouldn't be surprised if there were some federal operations utilizing the Nashville/Davidson County trunked system.

- Chris

APTN

410.8000 CSQ ? Feedback

- Chris

Like Chris said, the VA Hospital is enclave surrounded by Vanderbilt, also the Estes Kefauver Federal Building & US Courthouse is located at 801 Broadway, Nashville. There may be communications in and around that building that can be heard. Also, as for the communications near the airport, that might be FBI, Chris. (While technically under the jurisdiction of the Memphis Office, I know that Nashville has a small FBI office and it's near the airport.)

Last edited:

colfire3

I wish I had the capability but not yet. I do have a relative that works for the DEA and have a little bit of information of their communications. If the are working with JTF in metro they will use Nashville's PD 800 MHz system. I am also told the FBI does the same. If working in rural areas they will utilize some of their own equipment as well as any local DTF channels that are available. Now he tells me a lot of it is encrypted but the quality suffers. So if anyone lives in Nashville search those talk groups you never know what you will find.

iamhere300

Like Chris said, the VA Hospital is enclave surrounded by Vanderbilt, also the Estes Kefauver Federal Building & US Courthouse is located at 801 Broadway, Nashville. There may be communications in and around that building that can be heard. Also, as for the communications near the airport, that might be FBI, Chris. (While technically under the jurisdiction of the Memphis Office, I know that Nashville has a small FBI office and it's near the airport.)

Not sure where it is now, but the FBI had in the 80's quite a large presence in Nashville, with offices
in both the federal courthouse and the customs house.

Quite possibly a small office near the airport would be for a task force specifically at the airport.

iamhere300

Matter of fact i don't think Nashville even has any federal law enforcement agency offices in town. Maybe Secret Service but thats it. They might have offices but no field agents actively persuing bad guys on the radio.

FBI, VA, TVA, USCG, DEA, INS, DCAS, US Marshals service, INS, GSA, COE, Secret Service, USAF, ALL have active law enforcement operations in Nashville, with offices in Nashville. And I know I forgot a few.

There are some other agencies that have people assigned, but no actual offices. Even Columbia, Cookeville, and Jackson have RA's (FBI) with offices.

Last edited:

CORN

Premium Subscriber
FBI, VA, TVA, USCG, DEA, INS, DCAS, US Marshals service, INS, GSA, COE, Secret Service, USAF, ALL have active law enforcement operations in Nashville, with offices in Nashville. And I know I forgot a few.

There are some other agencies that have people assigned, but no actual offices. Even Columbia, Cookeville, and Jackson have RA's (FBI) with offices.

That sure don't equal communications then. Not sure where you got that info. The FBI webstire dosen't list Nashville as a field office site. Closest one is Knoxville according to it. And i've lived here 37 years and haven't heard squat on any fed law enforcement freq. The VA and all that, i'm sure thats not what the fella was asking about. DEA = never have heard it active in the 418 MHz range. BATFE = nada, FBI = only when they're after someone and are in the city. USSS = only when the POTUS comes to town, CBP = is occasionally active but unlike everywhere else apparantly is 100 percent encrypted, analog too. TVA = on occasion on 168.225 but unable to copy from my location, 3 miles S of downtown. The same goes for the others as well. This isn't a Fed city. If you live here and are discounting me then state that please. And give out some freqs. I'm desperate. I can't find any. Search don't get me anywhere.

As for them using the Metro TRS, then they must all be encrypted cause i monitor it every day and nothing leads me to think they are any other agency but Metro PD. The Fed stuff listed in the database here on the TRS is not active. My scanner has NEVER picked up on any of those. I guess i just have crappy luck. Thats my biggest problem.

iamhere300

I am not discounting anyone - just sharing. I used to work for an agency in Nashville, one of the ones listed above. Nashville even used to have a HF station for the FBI.

The Memphis FBI has field offices in,

Nashville
Columbia
Cookeville
Clarksville
Jackson

Contact FBI Memphis Page

Some of those are small, some such as Nashville and Clarksville are a bit bigger.

Nashville RA is quite large, they have a number of people there other than agents, such as ET's admin, etc.

DEA has a fairly large presence, with the Middle TN Drug Task force. Their offices are still at 801 Broadway, the federal courthouse. DCAS used to have their office there, as well as USCG.

Remember, the Secret Service is more than POTUS. They are listed on their web page with an office
in Nashville - it has moved from where it used to be. 223 Rosa L Parks Ave # 300, Nashville

United States Secret Service: Field Office Contact Information

INS - I am a bit of a throwback. I should have said ICE. Offices in Metro Center. (at least someone is left there!)

CPB. Offices in the airport area. Fair sized presence.

And don't discount VA. It is still law enforcement.

Now, the reason for lack of radio traffic varied. Most of the academies for federal law DRILL into you that radio communications is unsecure - even with encryption. Lots of the agencies don't have a comm system like the FBI, they may have one repeater or even just be simplex. Lots of reliance on other peoples systems, or Nexthell. Heck, some of the agencies even borrowed cars from others on a routine basis. They also are pushed to keep transmissions very short. None of the backwoods county sheriff stuff - "car one, we are going to be down on the old gintz place, trying to find bubba, I think he is the one that stole that stop sign over there in zzgouau county the other day and we are going to get him!"

Some of the agencies don't have a major presence, so no reason for radios unless a special event. Most don't even have a dispatcher.

I don't live in Nashville now, but am there frequently on business.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the info. As i type this i am hearing 165.2125 but only one side of the conversation. If the other side is encrypted i usually hear that as well. So i'm not quite sure why i'm hearing one party and not the other, neither in the clear or encrypted. Unfortunately i haven't ever heard anything on the DEA range, not even encrypted stuff. Maybe my timing is off i guess. CBP has a repeater here but it is 100 percent encrypted unless they're spitting out an AMBER alert. Occasionally they have some agents following folks but that is very rare here. That goes for the FBI too. So, ok i'll admit Nashville has some fed stuff but it isn't nearly as hopping cool comms as in other cities. The FBI used to have a talk group on the Metro TRS (34800) but it has been silent for more than a year now. Haven't caught any other Fed stuff on the TRS since then. But hey, the PD is strong here. Great loud digital quality.

ButchGone

I can assure you there are in fact repeaters in the VHF and UHF ranges for feds all througout Tennessee.
Secret Service, FBI, DEA, you name it. In the Chattanooga area the repeaters here do link up with other's around the region. Now, they may not be used much or assigned for special operations, but they are there. Sometimes in the clear, sometimes encrypted. And there's plenty of simplex, car to car stuff there you can hear if it's in range. The U.S. marshal's service uses simplex a lot for their operations.
It's all between 163-172 Mhz, or in the 410-420 range. You just have to hunt and hope to hit when repeaters are active. In the Chattanoog area the feds have all kind of systems (besides the regular VHF/UHF stuff) that are part of greater nationwide systems used for military and high-level stuff when they fly-drive through the area. You would be amazed what's in the mil-air range of 225-400MHz in the clear!
Happy hunting,
BG..

Status
Not open for further replies.