Anything in New England to hear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainetrunk

I was gonna hook it to clear speaker wire---actually, I just noticed the 1 inch of bare wire is just as sensitive as with the speaker wire. I gotta get an hf antenna on the roof, got plenty of lmr 400 cable.

Last edited:

mainetrunk

Well, I got something, finally. 17.302 usb. Sounds like a demented keyboard. In the hf refference it says ''17302 Worldwide Calling Frequency Marine Worldwide USB '', but I'll be dangged if thats a calling freq.

majoco

Stirrer
17300 kHz is a mainland Chinese station jamming Radio Taiwan. 17302 is a calling frequency for Rome Maritime Radio - they used to have a female station continuous announcement in Italian way back in the 60's. She spoke perfect English when you called her up from mid-Atlantic.

Last edited:

mainetrunk

It's 18:50Z, I just heard that infamous 11175, but not. According to the Alinco dial, usb , it actually came in clear on 11176. I gotta get an hf antenna up on that roof!...

mainetrunk

I got 1, they are NOW talking, tuning their radios by sending out tones, freq--11397.10 USB, mentioned New Tork, a female.. I'm hearing someone responding, bravo, delta romeo... Man, are they talking up a storm.. Well, thats the 1st thing I found after getting 50 feet of speaker wire rolled into a coil on 1-1/2 inch pvc.. They are still chatting

majoco

Stirrer
I think you must still be off frequency. All the MWARA frequencies are whole numbers.

CAR-A
2887.0 5550.0 6577.0 6649.0 8918.0 11396.0 13297.0 17907.0
Barranquilla, Boyeros, Guatemala City, Merida, New York, Panama, Piarco,
San Andres Is., San Jose, Tegucigalpa

CAR-B
3455.0 5520.0 6586.0 8846.0 11330.0 17907.0
Barranquilla, Boyeros, Cayenne, Georgetown, Maiquetia, New York, Panama,
Paramaribo, Piarco, San Andres

The tones that the ground station transmits is called "Selcal" - the pilots don't want to listen to all the other aircraft and background noise so they turn the audio off on their selector panel. Every aircraft with HF radio is given a code that corresponds to 4 musical notes - when the notes are transmitted only the one aircraft with that code will have a chime go off in the cockpit and a light will flash. The pilot will then go on the radio and say "United 1234 answering Selcal" and the ground station will reply.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No he's reading the USB offset along with the frequency. He's off by 1.7 Khz - pretty close for the offset value...Mike

mainetrunk

Thanks guys, but the freq shift is off, and when I do get someone talking, it takes at least 5 minutes to tune it to where I call perfect. Just like that 11175, I get it at 11176. Hmmmmm, something else offset in this gem of an Alinco? Fyi, I got thicker speaker cord this morning, is NOW going through trials. I also got a full spool of that thick wire, plenty of pvc, let the games resume, hahahaha, thanks guys... Ron ps, I got 16 gauge wire now..

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
Having read this link...
DJ-X11 Sideband Frequency Accuracy - Ham Radio Science Forum
.....it sounds like a design fault. But the spec of the DJ-X11 says it has a BFO - is the BFO variable? I couldn't see (at a quick peruse!) any mention of BFO range in the blurb sheet.

Anyway, it was the same problem with my Degen 1103 - there was no reference point to set the BFO to before you tuned the station so you could offset a badly tuned frequency with a badly tuned BFO and get a readable signal. The BFO is there to replace the carrier and the frequency display should be that of the suppressed carrier, NOT the passband centre frequency. I made the BFO pre-settable by simply tuning to 10.000MHz WWV, turning on the BFO and setting it to zero beat the carrier, then marking the BFO knob with a spot of nail varnish at the centre point. Now I can set the BFO to the centre, the frequency display to 8867kHz without a signal and when Auckland starts to talk, he's dead on frequency!

mainetrunk

Nope, afraid no BFO, just VFO, which is TUNE basicly. The freq shift function is OFF.. Though, those freqs also kinda came in like .500 by the original freq.. Aka 11.175 will also give me a signal on 11.500. Then I gotta decide which way to tune. .005 khz at a time... I need a speaker next, fine tuning with an ear plug kinda bytes. Tv on right, static in left ear. I hope those air traffic controlers make good $$$, they deserve it... Having that blare in your ears all day must give Tylenol some business, lol..

potbellyperch

hello mainetrunk
I have the same radio i love it & I get 11175 usb
but none 03 04 only by 5s does the vfo go I run the rubber duck allso I got the the radio shack
of the exstended ant. so it doesnt pull the wires out
I love that little radio but i got it to scan the air band to 226.300 great freak.. that I get here
excuse the spelling K
allso use 14 gauge house wireing for better recepchion

mainetrunk

Far out Mr. perch, i just added 100 more feet of 16 gauge. Grand total, 4 coils, 1 being from UHF to Alinco. Until I can get this set up outside for proper testing, I,m stuck in a 20 by 30 area to play TUNE IN .. Well, time for full testing.

potbellyperch

mainetrunk try allso freak.. 245.8000NFM
k you will love it if you hear stuff on that freak... there allways on @ nite during the day & they stay on for a long time
happy scanning
be sure you put in NFM not AM
only that freak...
I allso would like you to tell me what your signal is that you got they were 777 here
just herd every word they said

Status
Not open for further replies.