Anything new in the pipeline from Whistler?

rednecknerd

Just wondering if and when we can expect something new from Whistler in the scanner space anytime soon? I don't want to swap to uniden, but the simulcast issue is a deal breaker for me.

Just wondering if we have heard anything from someone reliable?

Thanks 73

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Just wondering if and when we can expect something new from Whistler in the scanner space anytime soon? I don't want to swap to uniden, but the simulcast issue is a deal breaker for me.

Just wondering if we have heard anything from someone reliable?

Thanks 73
Highly doubt you'll hear much in advance from Whistler, especially after the flack they got for backing off the TRX100/200 but @Whistler_Support might know something.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Whitsler is more focused on selling radar detectors and other gadgets than scanners. They are well aware that their TRX-1 and TRX-2 do not work as advertised on P25 phase II system with linear simulcasting. It sure would be nice to have another player in the game. It doesn't appear that player will be Whistler.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Whitsler is more focused on selling radar detectors and other gadgets than scanners. They are well aware that their TRX-1 and TRX-2 do not work as advertised on P25 phase II system with linear simulcasting. It sure would be nice to have another player in the game. It doesn't appear that player will be Whistler.

It would be nice to have a TRX-1 / TRX-2 that handles LSM. I much prefer Whistler's user interface to Uniden's, so I didn't buy a SDS-100. I'm actually looking into a MicroP25RX for the car instead of a TRX-2.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I much prefer Whistler's user interface to Uniden's, so I didn't buy a SDS-100.
For that reason I tried a TRX-1. Big mistake. That pushed me into an SDS-100. I took the time to program Favorites but I love it. The selection format of Favorites.System.Department(.Channel) works more sanely that other models (such as BCD996).

PRMII

Premium Subscriber
Sometime this next year, I'll be looking for a new scanner. I have the 1065, and it's worked great for me. As an Old Geezer, it took a bit to learn to use the software to program it, but once I did, it's easy. When I do make my purchase, I'll want the most up-to-date rig. I don't know that I'll be buying another after this purchase. Just being realistic due to age. I've downsized my Ham Shack a bunch, but have enough. I'll keep the 1065, plus whatever I buy next. I use it at home, so prefer a good desktop, and would like to stick with Whistler if they have something that will meet my needs then. I watch my speed closely, so no radar detector is needed, even though I keep getting their emails advertising them...

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Sometime this next year, I'll be looking for a new scanner. I have the 1065, and it's worked great for me. As an Old Geezer, it took a bit to learn to use the software to program it, but once I did, it's easy. When I do make my purchase, I'll want the most up-to-date rig. I don't know that I'll be buying another after this purchase. Just being realistic due to age. I've downsized my Ham Shack a bunch, but have enough. I'll keep the 1065, plus whatever I buy next. I use it at home, so prefer a good desktop, and would like to stick with Whistler if they have something that will meet my needs then. I watch my speed closely, so no radar detector is needed, even though I keep getting their emails advertising them...
The key as to whether a Whistler scanner may work, vs the possibility that a Uniden SDS series scanner is a better choice really boils down to what systems are in your area. Your profile says "Central Texas". That could be anything from Austin or it's surrounding cities and counties, or up I-35 to the Waco-Temple area, among others. If your county is on trunked system, and one or more of the sites are simulcast, the odds that a Whistler TRX-2 (their top of the line desktop model) will work becomes problematic, Simulcast issues are extremely location specific. In some cases, it gets down to you might find one specific place in your house it will work, but move it a few feet one way or another and it's reception is hopelessly garbled.

I'm in the DFW area. Once Dallas, both the city as well as the county, transitions to their new P25 Phase II system, then all but the very smallest towns in the metro area will be on a trunked system, most of which have simulcast sites.. I have the TRX-1, the handheld version of the TRX-2. It's hopelessly ineffective on the new system.I had it running for several weeks to record activity as agencies switch to the new system, so that I could identify what new talkgroups were used for. It was set to record any activity it found. I went to review the audio files, and found that they were garbled & useless for what I needed. The coming new system is why I purchased the SDS100 & SDS200. Both handle the new system well. The TRX-1 has been relegated to monitoring conventional & some DMR channels.

PRMII

Premium Subscriber
The key as to whether a Whistler scanner may work, vs the possibility that a Uniden SDS series scanner is a better choice really boils down to what systems are in your area. Your profile says "Central Texas". That could be anything from Austin or it's surrounding cities and counties, or up I-35 to the Waco-Temple area, among others. If your county is on trunked system, and one or more of the sites are simulcast, the odds that a Whistler TRX-2 (their top of the line desktop model) will work becomes problematic, Simulcast issues are extremely location specific. In some cases, it gets down to you might find one specific place in your house it will work, but move it a few feet one way or another and it's reception is hopelessly garbled.

I'm in the DFW area. Once Dallas, both the city as well as the county, transitions to their new P25 Phase II system, then all but the very smallest towns in the metro area will be on a trunked system, most of which have simulcast sites.. I have the TRX-1, the handheld version of the TRX-2. It's hopelessly ineffective on the new system.I had it running for several weeks to record activity as agencies switch to the new system, so that I could identify what new talkgroups were used for. It was set to record any activity it found. I went to review the audio files, and found that they were garbled & useless for what I needed. The coming new system is why I purchased the SDS100 & SDS200. Both handle the new system well. The TRX-1 has been relegated to monitoring conventional & some DMR channels.

Bell, Milam, Robertson, and Brazos are my main interests. I'm way out in the middle of nowhere, and plenty of room and height. I use a dual-band 2m/70cm antenna at the top of my stack to listen with. I use a beam for voice on VHF/UHF, a Homebrew ground plane for 2m packet (we actually still use it down here), and an EFHW for 10m and down. Not only is it quiet except for the coyotes, but no real interference with any of the gear. I looked at the Whistler gear after my post, then looked at the Uniden 200. If Whistler doesn't have what I want when I'm ready, then I'll go with the maxed out 200. It's a bit of money, but as I said, I'm kind of winding down now. I'm knocking on 3/4 of a century real hard. I get out and take care of the livestock, piddle with a motorcycle or ATV when I feel like it, but I'm spending more time in the shack these days.
I appreciate your input, as I am looking for ideas and suggestions. As I said, the next one will likely be my last purchase, so I want it to be a good one.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Bell, Milam, Robertson, and Brazos are my main interests. I'm way out in the middle of nowhere, and plenty of room and height. I use a dual-band 2m/70cm antenna at the top of my stack to listen with. I use a beam for voice on VHF/UHF, a Homebrew ground plane for 2m packet (we actually still use it down here), and an EFHW for 10m and down. Not only is it quiet except for the coyotes, but no real interference with any of the gear. I looked at the Whistler gear after my post, then looked at the Uniden 200. If Whistler doesn't have what I want when I'm ready, then I'll go with the maxed out 200. It's a bit of money, but as I said, I'm kind of winding down now. I'm knocking on 3/4 of a century real hard. I get out and take care of the livestock, piddle with a motorcycle or ATV when I feel like it, but I'm spending more time in the shack these days.
I appreciate your input, as I am looking for ideas and suggestions. As I said, the next one will likely be my last purchase, so I want it to be a good one.
I don't see any current public safety trunked systems in Milam nor Robertson, so unless they make a change, most anything will work for you.

The system in Bell County is a simulcast system for the main site, There is a second site in the northern part of Bell County, But you may be far enough out that simulcast, on Bell's system, does not affect you. Some of the simulcast systems up here in DFW are far enough away from me that while I can still receive them, the distance negates the simulcast effect.

Based on what is currently in use in your area (with the exception of Bell County), a TRX-2 or most anything else will work.

However, when you have some free time, and are somewhat bored, skim through the Commissioners Court minutes for Robertson & Milam counties, to see if something is brewing. I've run across changes in the areas I frequent where a new system has been authorized, but not yet complete & in use. The thing to look for, which may change your game plan, is whether Milam or Robertson decide to join in the TxWARN P25 system. The counties adjacent to them, to the east & southeast, are on TxWARN.

I've spent a lot of time in the past camping, hunting, and fishing in various parts of what they named themselves as the 'Big Country', which is the area near Possum Kingdom Lake, and westward to the Abilene area. The coyotes are in full voice there, just like they are near you.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I don't see any current public safety trunked systems in Milam nor Robertson, so unless they make a change, most anything will work for you
Which translates as using a TRX is not future proof (unless what you want to receive remains using "old" technology).

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Which translates as using a TRX is not future proof (unless what you want to receive remains using "old" technology).
Very true.

If your area area remains old school, a TRX might work out. But if you travel to or through any of the larger metro areas, you're almost certainly going to encounter simulcast systems. Or if your home base does upgrade, odds are simulcast will be part of your future.