Anytone 878UV digital contacts screwby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stretchman

I just received my anytone 878 tonight, and made a basic codeplug for dmr. When I tried to put the database into the radio, it would not allow me to do anything except make private calls. I could not make contact with the repeater at all. Am I doing something wrong, or is it the database itself? I got contact 1, 12345678 and that was it. When I wrote the default back to the radio, then rewrote the plug without the ids, it worked fine.

IDK if there is something I actually have to do in order to get it to work.

Also, a quick heads up. When the radio comes stock, the encrypt key is programmed into one of the side keys. If you press it, it will turn on encryption, which is a big no on ham radio, and you have to go into the menu to shut it off.

dmaria

I just received my anytone 878 tonight, and made a basic codeplug for dmr. When I tried to put the database into the radio, it would not allow me to do anything except make private calls. I could not make contact with the repeater at all. Am I doing something wrong, or is it the database itself? I got contact 1, 12345678 and that was it. When I wrote the default back to the radio, then rewrote the plug without the ids, it worked fine.

IDK if there is something I actually have to do in order to get it to work.

Also, a quick heads up. When the radio comes stock, the encrypt key is programmed into one of the side keys. If you press it, it will turn on encryption, which is a big no on ham radio, and you have to go into the menu to shut it off.

You are definitely doing something wrong. The fact that you have 12345678 (a default contact number) still programmed into your radio tells me that you haven't gone thru all the steps to do the initial programming that a DMR radio needs to operate correctly. This is not peculiar to an Anytone, it's just that DMR requires many things to be programmed into the radio in order to work.

Stretchman

You are definitely doing something wrong. The fact that you have 12345678 (a default contact number) still programmed into your radio tells me that you haven't gone thru all the steps to do the initial programming that a DMR radio needs to operate correctly. This is not peculiar to an Anytone, it's just that DMR requires many things to be programmed into the radio in order to work.

A couple things. The first is that I needed to flash the right firmware to the radio, as I had a version mismatch. My own fault, as I wrote the codeplug in the wrong cps.

The second thing is that the radio does take the database, but I have to rewrite just the program itself in order to get it to work correctly. Then, it displays no callsign data. It is tx and rx ok. But all I get is the dmr id, and no callsign, name, or anything else.

I'm sure it's probably me. Eventually, I'll get it figured out. I do have the display set correctly in the cps, but still, no joy.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
TG vs DigContList

Likely you populated the Digital Contact List which translates the DMR ID number to people information on the radio's screen during a QSO. To make a group call you need the TG group populated and use that in channels to make calls on the radio.

Many YouTube tutorial to be found...

See attached from 868 CPS.

P.S. you slipped in a post while I was typing:D

Attachments

• TalkGroup.JPG
    TalkGroup.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 346
  • DigContactList.jpg
    DigContactList.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 344

dmaria

A couple things. The first is that I needed to flash the right firmware to the radio, as I had a version mismatch. My own fault, as I wrote the codeplug in the wrong cps.

The second thing is that the radio does take the database, but I have to rewrite just the program itself in order to get it to work correctly. Then, it displays no callsign data. It is tx and rx ok. But all I get is the dmr id, and no callsign, name, or anything else.

I'm sure it's probably me. Eventually, I'll get it figured out. I do have the display set correctly in the cps, but still, no joy.

Where did you get the contact database, and what format is it in? I write the repeater info and the database at the same time and it works just fine. This is on 2 868s and an 878. I currently have over 113,000 contacts, so it takes 20 minutes or longer to import.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Use the attached link for the contacts and other edits.
It only work with the DFC extension of the CPS to use the program. It works well with the 868 and I would expect same with 878.

I believe the extension is DFC, but might have the 2nd two letters wrong. I sure you will figure it out once pointed in the correct direction.

N0GSG DMR Contact Manager Support Page

dmaria

Use the attached link for the contacts and other edits.
It only work with the DFC extension of the CPS to use the program. It works well with the 868 and I would expect same with 878.

I believe the extension is DFC, but might have the 2nd two letters wrong. I sure you will figure it out once pointed in the correct direction.

N0GSG DMR Contact Manager Support Page

It's DCF, but that option is no longer in the CPS for the 878. Don't know why, but hopefully it will be re-introduced later.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
It's DCF, but that option is no longer in the CPS for the 878. Don't know why, but hopefully it will be re-introduced later.

That seriously sucks...

Maybe the file layout in 878 has changed and is more compatible with contact manager. Earlier version of the CPS for the 868 were but changed. Its worth a try if you haven't already.

Mike

dmaria

That seriously sucks...

Maybe the file layout in 878 has changed and is more compatible with contact manager. Earlier version of the CPS for the 868 were but changed. Its worth a try if you haven't already.

Mike

Tried it - didn't work.

Stretchman

Where did you get the contact database, and what format is it in? I write the repeater info and the database at the same time and it works just fine. This is on 2 868s and an 878. I currently have over 113,000 contacts, so it takes 20 minutes or longer to import.

AmateurRadio.digital - HOME for the csv. IDK why the radio resets the contact for me, as I am still in there. IF I go into the settings I can see my call and DMR id, but for some reason, it doesn't work. If I rewrite the repeaters after importing the database, it functions just fine, otherwise, it's just Contact1.

Might be something simple.

Stretchman

screenshot of the digital contacts

This is the digital contacts page. It appears to be formatted correctly, and I can't see why it doesn't work.

Other than that, the radio itself is a charm. I received a tyt mic to go with it, and it is working well. Still learning DMR, but have had lots of great qso's, mostly on tac 310 and statewide.

Any idea what might be the issue with the contact list? I am scratching my head at this point.

Attachments

• Screenshot (4).jpg
    Screenshot (4).jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 246

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
What I don't see in your attachment is the column labeled TG / DMR ID. It could be scrolled off to the left. If that's missing then received DMR ID numbers will not know which record to display from the Digital Contact List. Name and callsign is never transmitted, only the DMR ID number. The radio is making the connection between DMR ID and contact list.

No ID in the list then radio will display the DMR ID number only. This is typically what happens when the radio's contact list has not been updated for several weeks and is missing all the new registered DMR ID numbers.

See my post #4 above with TG /DMR ID column in the bottom attachment. The attachment of TG Groups above it is the list used to create channels. The Digital Contacts List is for display of Name and callsign on the display,

Mike

Last edited:

dmaria

What I don't see in your attachment is the column labeled TG / DMR ID. It could be scrolled off to the left. If that's missing then received DMR ID numbers will not know which record to display from the Digital Contact List. Name and callsign is never transmitted, only the DMR ID number. The radio is making the connection between DMR ID and contact list.

No ID in the list then radio will display the DMR ID number only. This is typically what happens when the radio's contact list has not been updated for several weeks and is missing all the new registered DMR ID numbers.

See my post #4 above with TG /DMR ID column in the bottom attachment. The attachment of TG Groups above it is the list used to create channels. The Digital Contacts List is for display of Name and callsign on the display,

Mike

That column does seem to be missing. Here is what it should be:

Attachments

• Contact.jpg
    Contact.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 225

Stretchman

Yeah, it must have scrolled over. Here is the list.

If I program anything from digital contacts, the only thing that shows up is the default contact 1. If I go back and just write other data, then everything else works but contacts.

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).jpg
    Screenshot (5).jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 205

Stretchman

Just an update. I have contacted the seller to see if the problem is something with my radio, or if it is a persistent issue for 878 owners. I will keep you posted.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, it must have scrolled over. Here is the list.

If I program anything from digital contacts, the only thing that shows up is the default contact 1. If I go back and just write other data, then everything else works but contacts.

Good!, column is there it just not viewable.

As you have posted I get the broad strokes that it not working, but I'm not understanding what the details are from your end.

Example: "If I program anything from digital contacts"

I don't understand what program anything from the digital contacts is telling me.

If your are talking about the Digital Contact List its only a list you can see from the programing software and not to be seen on the radio. Other than displaying the contact name and callsign of the received DMR ID. You can use information from the Digital Contact List to hand type into the TG Group. I don't believe copy/paste works like Excel spreadsheets.

In the TG Group list 99% of the items will be labeled as group like World Wide English or Texas State Wide. You might add a few private like your friends that have DMR radio that you want to contact directly and labeled private and look very much like the Digital Contact List. The TG Group is your source input to create channels. Channels are your input to create zones.

As seen in my post #4 above the TG Group and Digital Contact List have similarities, but are very different. The TG Group can be seen in the programing software and the radio. The Digital Contact List is seen in it entirety in the programing software only, never on the radio.

Details are important and a challenge in technical writing to get information from point A to B and back. My apologies if what I write is not connecting...

Send your codeplug you think should work and has been loaded to your radio to macforsale@verizon.net

I will load it into my current CPS for my 868 or download the 878 CPS and look at it there.

My expectations are the 868 and 878 while certainly not the same at the hardware level will have only minor differences at the software/programing level. Likely to be in the radio options/configuration tab not building TG, Channels, Zones, etc...

Mike

Last edited:

dmaria

If all else fails, I can send you the last CSV file that I have loaded (it's from a different source than yours). The CPS has been known to have issues with the files if there are mistakes in the file. If interested, send me your email address.

Connect Systems has also posted a beta version of the CPS (1.08A) that he says are for "those having trouble with the current version". He doesn't explain what those issues may be.

Stretchman

Made progress

Happy T day. I managed to get Florida in and working by appending the talk groups to the end of the digital contacts list. Tried to do this yesterday with the entire database, but it failed. Had to go to work last night or I would've replied. Have to go in today for a double shift. Need to get some sack time. Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).jpg
    Screenshot (6).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 191

dmaria

Happy T day. I managed to get Florida in and working by appending the talk groups to the end of the digital contacts list. Tried to do this yesterday with the entire database, but it failed. Had to go to work last night or I would've replied. Have to go in today for a double shift. Need to get some sack time. Thanks for all the help.

Those entries belong in the Talkgroups section, not contacts. There are several YouTube videos on using the CPS for the Anytone 868.

Status
Not open for further replies.