• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Anytone AnyTone 878UVII Plus - Why can't i switch from Chinese to English language?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinJ256

I bought a new AnyTone 878UVii Plus, decent radio. The title seems to explain my probably fairly clearly but i'll elaborate.

Even though i can read chinese, i don't want to. I know this radio supports english so here's what i've done:

1. Attempted to go into menu settings for language and change the language from Chinese to English.... but there's only one option for languages listed - Chinese. No english.

ok, so i updated the firmware to the latest version, which i got from the anytone website (the website was in english obviously).

Went through all the steps, read all the documentation, rebooted, reset the MCU ... all that good jazz..

Still, nothing but Chinese as a language option in the Radio.

The CPS software only has two language options: English and German. So i used the CPS software to switch the UI for the phone. Rebooted the phone....

no change.

Is there something i missed?

KevinJ256

That still had the same effect. It's as if the MCU is silently refusing to accept the firmware. Is there a specific baudrate that needs to be set for the firmware upload?

ultrajv

The radios bootloader determines the default language. You cant easily change the bootloader as it requires opening the radio and using extra hardware. This radio must have come direct from China or perhaps was modified by previous user. The CPS determines the language used also. Contact the seller.

Last edited:

KevinJ256

The radios bootloader determines the default language. This radio must have come direct from China. The CPS determines the language used also.
umm.. yes... LOL. I'm still stuck in Shenzhen until the end of this month. I figured i may as well buy a radio here and since i'm just effectively sitting on my duff until the 30th , i figured ... why not learn how to use the radio to it's fullest potential before i get on the plane. It's pretty much going to be 24 hours at least travel time for me from China back to Michigan.
Anyways, thanks for the info about the bootloader determining the system language.
Do you have any links on where i might be able to download bootloaders?

KevinJ256

The radios bootloader determines the default language. You cant easily change the bootloader as it requires opening the radio and using extra hardware. This radio must have come direct from China or perhaps was modified by previous user. The CPS determines the language used also. Contact the seller.
my guess is that it's a JTAG interface or TTL Serial interface for the ARM processor that runs the radio...

ultrajv

my guess is that it's a JTAG interface or TTL Serial interface for the ARM processor that runs the radio...

I converted my 868 to 878 using these instructions, it shows how to replace bootloader using ST link 2

The bootloader used ironically is chinese. I havnt seen any others

Hit_Factor

That still had the same effect. It's as if the MCU is silently refusing to accept the firmware. Is there a specific baudrate that needs to be set for the firmware upload?
I went with the default, no idea what that was.

There is a screenshot in the instructions showing baud rate.

How about doing a reset, Don't you get an option to select the language? Reset is part of firmware upgrade instructions.

Maybe the previous comment about the bootloader makes all of this moot.

KevinJ256

I went with the default, no idea what that was.

There is a screenshot in the instructions showing baud rate.

How about doing a reset, Don't you get an option to select the language? Reset is part of firmware upgrade instructions.

Maybe the previous comment about the bootloader makes all of this moot.
looking into the firmware versions and system versions in the menus i see that the "Langauge Pack" Version is set to v1.0. So my guess is that i have to update that particular part somehow. everything else is higher than v1.0, the main firmware version i have updated to v2.05

ultrajv

looking into the firmware versions and system versions in the menus i see that the "Langauge Pack" Version is set to v1.0. So my guess is that i have to update that particular part somehow. everything else is higher than v1.0, the main firmware version i have updated to v2.05

While my converted 868 to 878 boots up in Chinese after a reset. It does revert to english when I load my own codeplug. I wonder if part of the problem is the language used on your PC and CPS. If you have multiple languages, it may complicate things.

Status
Not open for further replies.