• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Anytone Anytone Radios for DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Anyone using these radios for scanning and listening to DMR? Am looking at a Anytone AT-D878UV plus for just scanning and monitoring DMR.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Anyone using these radios for scanning and listening to DMR? Am looking at a Anytone AT-D878UV plus for just scanning and monitoring DMR.

You can certainly use it in that manner, as long as you understand that it is a transceiver, not a scanner. The scan speed is incredibly slow, the frequency range is limited, etc.

As long as you go in understanding those things, knock yourself out. It will work fine.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
I know it’s a transceiver. Just checking my options. A little more than half the price of a SDS100. But the limited frequency range is holding me back. Thanks for your reply.

rdlinn

Premium Subscriber
I've been using the Anytone D868UV for over 3 years and it is an awesome radio for monitoring DMR. It also works well with conventional analog frequencies. I just got a Uniden SDS 100 two weeks ago and it is the bomb! BUT the Anytone is going to remain in service here. The scan speed is very slow so you must limit frequencies to 10 or less at a time and it is pretty good, I just monitor very local and have no problems.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Don't think that you will get adequate scanner performance out of the 878. It's not by any means a scanner. If you visit the Bridegcom website there is a tutorial (or YouTube) pertaining to setting up scan lists. Keep your scan groups to a minimum for quicker scanning. My main group, I have only 4 repeaters and my local vhf fire dispatch. Works better for me that way.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Get a GD-77 if you want a cheap DMR. It has firmware for either ham or commercial frequencies and costs under $100 new.

bharvey2

I've had an 868UV for a couple of years. It works fine on DMR with repeaters and my DMR node. I wouldn't say that scanning is a strong point with it. If you're only looking at a few channels it's okay. For scanning large groups of frequencies or systems, a purpose built scanner is the way to go. I have an RS Pro-668 for that.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The Anytones scan at about the same speed as Baofengs--3-5 channels per second. A 436 does 80.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
How many DMR systems in your area? That Freq range is the deal breaker for me on the 878, Vegas has DMR (MTRBO) in 400/800/900. Many resorts are going to DMR as you can see in the database. No thanks. Hope it works for you.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Allot of schools and businesses are on DMR. I did search for other hand held radios that had a wider frequency span but didn't see any. For the price and my 1st time into DMR, think it will be ok for now.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
DMR is not for everybody. At first it seems like a hassle to program what with time slots, color codes, etc etc. but just like any other aspect of our hobby, once learned it is very enjoyable. The AnyTone 878 is a nice affordable way to dip your feet into the water and delve into DMR without breaking the bank or mortgaging the homestead. As we all know, DMR is becoming quite popular in the business world and local govt. and at first I thought it would fizzle and sink, but it is here to stay and expanding every day and I have found that if you don't keep up with the technology you will get left in the dust. The D878UV is quickly becoming a very popular radio and I am glad that I jumped on the bandwagon when I did. Bearcatrp, hope you come to like it as much as I do :)

Status
Not open for further replies.