AOR 5000+3 Disc. Output cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

pindrop

Hello,

Trying to figure out how to the make a discriminator output (DO) cable for the AOR5000+3. Used a 8-pin mini din cable ( prebuilt 8 pin mini male to male cable, cut it in half and used one end) with 1/8th mono jack plug (3.5mm mono 2 pole male plug to bare wire replacement audio cable) connected to the line in of an external Sound Blaster Omni soundcard. I used the ground pin 8 and detector output pin 2 from the ACC1 on the front panel as per the manual. I temporarily fasten the ground pin 8 and detector output 2 to the respective connections on the 1/8 mono jack plug connector audio cable repair (wiring diagram: PIN 1 - red wire is mono audio; PIN 2 - black wire is ground ). I have tested it with DSDPlus Fastlane and was unable to decode the audio. Has anyone successfully made a cable for DO? Thank you for any response or suggestions.

Parts Utilized: https://www.amazon.com/Fancasee-Rep...s=1/8th+mono+audio+jack&qid=1604515294&sr=8-4 and https://www.amazon.com/Pin-Mini-Mal...ds=8+pin+mini+din+cable&qid=1604516792&sr=8-6

Best Regards,
Pindrop

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I have a feeling that your connection to the detector output is incorrect; you likely need a discriminator output, not the detector.

If you can find a service manual, that might be your best bet....Mike

Last edited:

pindrop

I have a feeling that your connection to the detector output is incorrect; you likely need a discriminator output, not the detector.

If you can find a service manual, that might be your best bet....Mike

Mike,

i have the manual, it is the correct pin. The manual says discriminator output detector. I do you have a signal coming out, but it is not being recognized or decoded. Appreciate your suggestion.

I had read from a different post where that they had “tighten” the high level audio, low audio, and discriminator output pin to the ground. I did not understand how he did that.

Best Regards,
Pindrop

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

How does the waveform look on DSD? Can you provide a screen shot while decoding? I found that line inputs on some soundcards loaded down the DO too much and a buffer amplifier was needed.

73 Eric

pindrop

Eric, see attached files of waveforms. Buffer amplifier was needed. Buffer amplifier? Ok, already search it online. I thought you could reduce the Line-In volume on recording properties to reduce the amplification? I will try another my pc soundcard. That is an idea, my problem is cable is too short now too reach the pc, i cut it too short. Thank you,

Best Regards,

Pindrop

Attachments

• No Decoding Overlay Eye Wave Form.PNG
    No Decoding Overlay Eye Wave Form.PNG
    11.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Decoding Overlay Eye Waveform.PNG
    Decoding Overlay Eye Waveform.PNG
    9.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Decoding WaveForm.PNG
    Decoding WaveForm.PNG
    19.4 KB · Views: 5
  • No Decoding Waveform.PNG
    No Decoding Waveform.PNG
    8.8 KB · Views: 4

pindrop

Eric,

I tried it with the onboard Realtek High Definition Audio sound card of the pc and its is giving the same waveforms. I attached a patch cord between the existing connection and it worked to reach the back of the pc. I tried both the Microphone and line in inputs. I keep trying to toggle it to decode. Thanks!... Pindrop

pindrop

Eric, I spoke to soon. i did see an improvement in the wave forms with the pc soundcard. See attached files. Stronger P25 signal, but not decoding yet, however.

Attachments

• Decoding P25 Wave Form (OverLay Eye Pattern).PNG
    Decoding P25 Wave Form (OverLay Eye Pattern).PNG
    14.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Decoding P25 Wave Form.PNG
    Decoding P25 Wave Form.PNG
    6.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Non-Decoding Wave Form (Overlay Eye Pattern).PNG
    Non-Decoding Wave Form (Overlay Eye Pattern).PNG
    13 KB · Views: 0
  • Non-Decoding Wave Form.PNG
    Non-Decoding Wave Form.PNG
    13.9 KB · Views: 0

grosminet

I have a very Early AR5000 - (30 years old and still working) . I did an output disciminator many years ago but output level was too low . The better way to receive dsdplus fastlane is to use 10.7 Mhz output . I'm using an RTL_SDR with an HF converter witch output my signals at 116 MHz on the SDR RTL key . It is also working with SDRSHARP and European TETRA reception. I'm using FMP24 .

pindrop

grosminet, i had tried several times to make it work and was not able to do it. You are probably right, that might be the way to go. I had tried with omnirig and sdrsharp, but it did not work either. HF Converter? Will this work? https://www.nooelec.com/store/ham-it-up.html

How do you connect the HF converter to the 10.7 mhz output?

I will probably go that route, i hate to see my AOR 5000+3 just sit there and not be utilize. I really appreciate your perspective.

Best Regards,

Pindrop

pindrop

grosminet,

1. Connect your antenna to the RF input
2. Connect your AOR 5000+3 to the IF output (10.7 mhz)
3. Ensure your toggle switch is in the enable position (upconvert)
4. Plug your USB power source into the USB-B USB jack
5. Fire up SDRSharp. Tune to 116MHz + (+/- the tuning offset from the tuning procedure) + your desired frequency and enjoy!

So, the HF Converter will display the signal that is provided by the AOR 5000+3? Enable VAC in SDRSharp, run DSDPlus Fastlane and decode. Will this instructions work?

Last edited:

pindrop

grosminet,

I am confused where you connect the RTL-SDR? Thanks for your input.

dkf435

Check the pinout on the cables and make sure non of the pins are strapped to the ground. On the AR5000 only pin 8 should be grounded. Never used a premade cable, think some of the Apple cables may not work because of the grounds always soldered to the mini din with a fine tip iron.

pindrop

dkf435, will double check again. Yes, i did notice that the premade cable has another ground wire soldered to the mini din. i tried doing the cable without a premade, tricky to solder, though. thanks..

grosminet

10.7 Mhz output -->coax antenna to HF adapter -->(out is 116 Mhz to rtl-sdr) coax antenna out to RTL SDR -->imput antenna of RTL_SDR --> (fmp24 or Sdrsharp)

see converter example :

AR5000 (10.7) --> converter input -->converter output (10.7+106 Mhz) -->rtl_SDR input (set to 116.7 Mhz) -->(fmp24 or Sdrsharp)

fmp24 batch example

FMP24 -i1 -o20002 -P0.0 -g10.5 -f116.952 -s0 -z0 -b22

Read AR5000 manuel to set the 10.7 MHz output

pindrop

grosminet, will study the flowchart, greatly appreciated. converter example link not working. Best Regards, pindrop

pindrop

grosminet, got it working with RTL-SDR and spyverter, shift adjusted to 130.7 mhz. see attached files. Works really good, using program search. Appreciate everyone's help, figuring this out. Tried using the Airspy R2 instead of the RTL-SDR, but it did not work.

Attachments

• DSPLUS.PNG
    DSPLUS.PNG
    34.6 KB · Views: 10
  • FMP24.PNG
    FMP24.PNG
    67.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

pindrop

got AirSpy R2 and Spyverter working together. For some unknown reason, the Spyverter was not getting any power even though i had it connected to a DC source. I had too also power the R2 to a DC source. I guess the Bias-Tee was not "on" the Spyverter. Another thing i noticied, you have to manually check on the Decoder tab (Decoding Polarity Auto Detect) otherwise it will not decode. thank you grosminet...

pindrop

-T1 switch turns on bias-tee (FMPA) and -p switch turns on inverted decoding polarity (DSDPlus) . All is well now, running perfect...

dkf435

Bill Cheek used to like using the old Radio Shack 9n conductor serial cable for doing mods and cables. You could pinch off a little of the insulation and put a dab of solder on the pin onn the connector and just reheat to tack. Too much solder will bridge the pins on the 9 pin mini DIN . Also remember you can enable a looped circuit with the front panel 8 pin where you can take audio out process it and then send it back to the amplifier in the radio.

pindrop

I do remember the serial cable being used for mods. Unfortunately, solder is not my strength. Now, i having a working configuration using the 10.7 mhz output from the AOR 5000+3. It is working nicely. Could not have done it without you all's help though. I learned some technical stuff along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.