aor 8000/8200 belt clip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg4zqz

hey folks, new owner of a few AOR units (really like them!), and first post with a quick question:

is there a source of an OEM belt clip w/screws for the 8000/8200, and failing that, what is the spec for the two screws (M2? M3?)

tks,
bill, kg4zqz

kg4zqz

not de rigueur to reply to one's own post, but this may help other 8000 new owners:

a pair of M3x8 screws, matching nuts and a Kydex pistol belt clip with holes 23mm on center works fine (~US6 total)

bill, kg4zqz

p.s. loaded up my 8000 w/marine VHF channels, now set to monitor boats, motor vessels, sailboats, and bridge tenders down here in the near Tropics.. also a great scanner for airport ops, too!

kg4zqz

@kg4zqz

I doubt you'll find a 'new' original belt clip for the AR8000. AOR Direct still stock the belt clip and screws for the AR8200 which the screws may fit the AR8000. If you can't find a new belt clip, am sure that can be easily made up by someone experienced with working with metal.

Checkout this site ...

【AR8200MK3用】ベルトクリップ&ストラップ・セット-AOR DIRECT

tks! i have quickly discovered that the AOR product line and audience is rather select... i was very fortunate to acquire an RS232-usb cable for my 8200mk3... ar86ctri works well under GNU/Linux... dunno if i will add the 3.5mm port mod to my 8000 though (which was purchased for a 'beater')

bill, kg4zqz

kg4zqz

replacement clip turned out fine:
0F6AE5A4-190C-4C3E-B231-2648AE361EBB.jpeg
now the receiver sits nicely in its stand:
ECF6AD53-59FC-44D6-BF48-28E0FC408FE2.jpeg

freqseeker

@kg4zqz

Checkout my Group on Facebook, lots more AOR info. there ...

Facebook Groups
I'm not on Facebook so I couldn't read anything. I'm looking for programming software for the AR8000 that will work in Windows 10 or XP. I have the Optolinx for programming. I have owned this radio since they were new in the 90's. It is taking up space on my desk and would like to put it to use. I like the Marine radio idea.

AOR-262

@kg4zqz

That replacement clip looks pretty cool. Where did you get the stand from? Looks professionally made too.

AOR-262

@freqseeker

I've been looking since the year .. dot for the programming software for the AOR 8000. I gave up searching. AOR did have their own primitive programming software which is what I've been looking for but it's easier to find a needle in a haystack than find that software today.

So I wrote my own software. It is nothing fancy and I have it to do exactly what I want it to do. I've got a full list of all the programming commands the AR8000 knows, including some system commands that can unblock the memory area that AOR blocked to comply with the FCC rules. Those frequencies or frequency range was typically around the US cellular area. As I was not able to get my hands on Optolinx unit or the AOR CU8232, I made my own programming cable. Here's the video I made ...

freqseeker

@freqseeker

I've been looking since the year .. dot for the programming software for the AOR 8000. I gave up searching. AOR did have their own primitive programming software which is what I've been looking for but it's easier to find a needle in a haystack than find that software today.

So I wrote my own software. It is nothing fancy and I have it to do exactly what I want it to do. I've got a full list of all the programming commands the AR8000 knows, including some system commands that can unblock the memory area that AOR blocked to comply with the FCC rules. Those frequencies or frequency range was typically around the US cellular area. As I was not able to get my hands on Optolinx unit or the AOR CU8232, I made my own programming cable. Here's the video I made ...

Thanks for the reply.
Every few years I search to see if I can find anything.
I reached out to Butel a few years ago as that is the software I used when new. There was no interest in reviving it and I get it.
I like your cable, nice and simple. I had Javiation do the jack mod and they changed a component to make the frequency more accurate or stable.
I used the Optolinx for the AR8000 to be the following radio in the old DOS program Trunker. It worked great. The receiver is good for 800. I also have the Scout, it was a state of the art combo 25 years ago.
I didn't intend to hijack this thread. I do have the original belt clip though.

kg4zqz

@kg4zqz

That replacement clip looks pretty cool. Where did you get the stand from? Looks professionally made too.
tks... clip is from that big online South American river (B0777TL34H), about US$2.50ea... stand is a Nifty HT Desk Stand (i am clumsy, so dropping a pricey handheld onto a tile floor can induce a bit of heartache)

nice video, clean mod... have also seen one for the 8000 LEDs...

bill, kg4zqz

billythec

Premium Subscriber
Hi,
I have a full AR8000 kit in great shape, with OptoLinx, 2 flat cables, and replacement rear battery door with cutout. Was thinking of selling them as I'm not using them much, if there's any interest LMK. I will consider posting in the FS section if people are still interested in these.
Thanks
Bill WG2N

kg4zqz

Hi,
I have a full AR8000 kit in great shape, with OptoLinx, 2 flat cables, and replacement rear battery door with cutout. Was thinking of selling them as I'm not using them much, if there's any interest LMK. I will consider posting in the FS section if people are still interested in these.
Thanks
Bill WG2N
alas, i would have popped for your offer a month ago, but i modded my 8000 w/the 3.5mm port... works great!

but i do have a question: did the OptoLinx come with software and does it support other AOR handhelds? (online info about the interface is not to be found, at least on my part)

tks,
bill

Status
Not open for further replies.