AOR 8200 MkII B

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recieved my AOR 8200 . I have wanted one of these for a while but was affraid of not knowing how to operate it. AND I was right. Does anyone here know if I can send the unit out to have it programmed? If so please reply. I live in Houston TX, and would like it programmed for this area. It is an unblocked version according to the seller, but I don't know how to verify this. Any help would be appreciated.

MarkWestin

Do you have the programming cable for your radio? It is pricey but probably worth it. If your radio is actually a "B" model then it is blocked. Unblocked models are "U". Another way to check is to look for a FCC ID number. If your radio has a FCC ID number it is almost certainly blocked. Unblocked radios normally have a CE marking and No FCC ID number. All that being said, even if you have an unblocked model there is nothing to listen to in the "Blocked" ranges. The "Blocked" ranges are where Analog Cell Phones used to operate, but there have been no Analog Cell Phones for at least 10 years maybe more like 15 years in most areas. To absolutely verify that your radio is Blocked or Unblocked just try to enter a frequency like 870.500 into your radio in VFO mode. If it takes it then it is not blocked. Otherwise it will say something like Out of Band.

Best of luck with your radio

Mark

The radio does accept the 870.500 freq. I don't have the cable but I will buy it next month, along with the voice inverter card. Is the VI card worth buying? Or does it not really do anything?

Fast1eddie

Cyclone, I attempted to PM you but that is blocked. If you would, please PM me, I have some helpful 82K info for you, ok?? I have been with AOR a long time, had the OD Green case 82k (It was nowhere near as bad as the critics made it out to be) and moved into the black case after a theft. She can be quirky and slow but you have to acclimate yourself to the radio. Key push functions can be annoying. Anyway we can discuss further.

Good Signals,

Ed

MarkWestin

If you are getting the cable, you should look for a program called "Greenlight". It is an excellent and free programming tool for the AOR 8200 radios. I don't believe that the program's author supports it any more and it could be hard to find. Once you have this program it will be much easier to see how the memory system in the radio works. As far as the VI card Yes it does work but it is only useful if someone in your area is using the simple analog voice inversion. If they are using this type of VI, it will sound sort of like Donald Duck and you can sort of make out a word once in a while.

Mark

Cyclone, I attempted to PM you but that is blocked. If you would, please PM me, I have some helpful 82K info for you, ok?? I have been with AOR a long time, had the OD Green case 82k (It was nowhere near as bad as the critics made it out to be) and moved into the black case after a theft. She can be quirky and slow but you have to acclimate yourself to the radio. Key push functions can be annoying. Anyway we can discuss further.

Good Signals,

Ed

Ed try it again I enabled some options. I would like to learn how to run this receiver I hate to sound dumb but I don't know how to enable the PM mode. Thanks for responding

J

Status
Not open for further replies.