AOR 8200 Original (mark 1?) PC cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Hello folks,

I still have an AOR 8200 original receiver purchased from Javation sometime in the late 90's, probably 1999 or 2000. The sticky case problem came and went, I believe I fixed it by cleaning with 409 or Fantastic. At any rate, no more sticky case.

It still has all of the memory banks as I programmed them about 20 years ago and still functions very well. I'd like to update the frequencies that are currently programmed. I also have the RS-8200 rs-232 cable probably manufactured by Javiation. The pc end has a DB-25 cable which I think has a TTL to RS232 level converter. I made a 25 to 9 pin adapter and used that extensively, always worked well. Something I don't recall is a shielded lead that also comes out of the DB25 shell that terminates in a single 1/8 inch plug. I don't recall what that is used for.

At any rate I'm going to look around for some 8200 memory management software and try to figure out how to interface this cable to USB.

Probably a long shot but does anyone manufacture a USB to 8200 cable? If not, instructions to home-brew a cable?

Thanks in advance for help and/or comments.

Nick
WB4SQI

kruser

Premium Subscriber
If it's true RS-232, probably the best you can get is using a standard FTDI or Prolific chipset based USB to Serial adapter.
There are also USB to Serial adapters that have TTL instead of RS-232 levels on the device side, both 3.3 volt and 5 volt TTL levels.

morfis

The RS-8200 was Jonathan's own interface. Never looked in one but presumably a MAX232 series chip and a couple of resistors /capacitors.
The extra plug was likely to be for unfiltered audio - it's available on the accessory socket but I don't think it was utilised on the interface AOR marketed.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Morfis, I believe you are correct as it fits the ear port.

Kruger, I believe it is ttl levels as the db25 housing has a max232 chip.

I found a pdf document titled cs8200 that outlines the communication requirements for the 8200 along with pc commands. I need to study the radio connections to determine if they are compatible with usb.

Thanks for your input.

Nick

Ubbe

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Ubbe, I believe I have one of those somewhere around here in one of my junk boxes. My HP laptop is plugged into a dock that has a 9 pin RS232 port. I plugged the cable in yesterday and got a "driver not found" window. I'll need to do some more research on this issue.

NIck

morfis

Morfis, I believe you are correct as it fits the ear port.

It would be audio OUT of the AR8200 and therefore INTO the 3.5mm audio input on your PC (for decoding applications).

If the docking station for your PC already has a 9pin serial port then it's probably got a USB<>Serial adapter built in but is missing the driver. Check the makers website for info/driver download. Be aware that if you are using Windows 10 the choice of driver might be more limited and a generic rather than the dock manufacturers version might be what you'd have to go for.

Ubbe

Strangly I had a HP laptop and a docking station with a 9-pin serial connector and could never get that to work. I used a seperate usb-serial adaptor cable that always perfomed flawlessly.

morfis

Another thing to bear in mind is that the auxilliary socket connections are different on the black-cased models (AR8200II onwards). Your cable was specifically made for the original model (AR8200, green case) and would need to be modified before use with the AR8200II and AR8200III if you ever picked up one of those.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Success! Dug around in my junk box and found a Prolific USB to serial adapter. Tried it on my 8600 MKIIB and that worked great so hooked the RS-8200 to the serial adapter and was able to download my 18 year old frequencies. Found the invoice from Javiation for the RS-8200 in March of 2000, dealing with some real antiques here......

I used the Butel AR8200/8600 demo for my trials today so will be purchasing my copy. Now to find some unique analog frequencies to load up in these two radios.

Morfis - I doubt I will upgrade my 8200 to a newer model, I'm content with it as is and I found two serial cables today with no ends. Not sure why I purchased them but it was a pleasant surprise.

Thanks to all for your help.

Nick

Raggedyman141

Can I just add to this that the wiring also changed between the Mk1 and Mk2.

I have just built an interface using a USB - TTL board, and found that the wiring for the MK2 only has two ground wires, whereas the MK1 has four.

For the MK2, you need the yellow one as a ground. The only other is the shield.

Its just a real shame that I cant get AR86ctrl to work on my windows 7 laptop. HyperTerminal is ok, as is the demo of ARC8200 so I'm stumped there.

https://discriminator.nl/disc-out/os8200.pdf

morfis

Can I just add to this that the wiring also changed between the Mk1 and Mk2.

You can add what you want ...in this case I had already mentioned that there were changes (though without the specifics as the OP was talking about the original unit).

Its just a real shame that I cant get AR86ctrl to work on my windows 7 laptop. HyperTerminal is ok, as is the demo of ARC8200 so I'm stumped there.

AR86CTL works under windows 7 here. JAOR and ARC8200 also.

Raggedyman141

You can add what you want ...in this case I had already mentioned that there were changes (though without the specifics as the OP was talking about the original unit).

AR86CTL works under windows 7 here. JAOR and ARC8200 also.
I posted mainly as a point of reference for anyone else doing a similar search to myself.

I was having difficulty with my build until a stumbled upon a thread elsewhere which gave me that lightbulb moment.

Could you give me any pointers as to any changes I may need to make to get AR86 working? I just get the errors for whichever command is being sent.

I’ve used a port monitoring tool and can see the command being sent but the the reply looks like gibberish. Doing the same with ARC8200 shows the return data ok.

morfis

I don't remember having do do anything specfific but it was a very long time ago that it was installed!

Raggedyman141

When I posted, I had just ordered a FTDI interface to see if that changed anything. It came this morning and everything works. Obviously it’s the same old story about prolific rubbish.

Now I just need to sit down and work out how to use the various bits of software.

Status
Not open for further replies.