AOR 8200D available in U.S.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim-B

Is there a dealer that sells the AOR 8200D which is an upgraded Mk III that receives P25? I have been to all the dealer websites that I could find in the U.S. but they all had the regular Mk III not the "D" model. I saw some in the U.K. but I really don't want to do an international order.

Vince64

8200MKIII can't be P25 upgraded.
Or you want a 8200MKIII or you want a 8200D.
In any case both version does exist as locked or unlocked version depending on the world area you are.

Tim-B

I guess I will just buy the Mk III and decide later if I want to upgrade it. Maaan, I wish they made it with a metal body instead of plastic. Do they ones that they sell to the military to monitor insurgents in Iraq have a metal body? Maybe I can send it to AOR and have them change out the body.

Vince64

All the 8200MKIII and 8200D I saw are plastic box.
I think, that infact USA is just replacing the whole internal PCB to be "D" version from MKIII as Japan always explain it is a different production.

widowsson

I've had the original AOR-8200 with the plastic body since probably 1999. It still looks brand new, it holds up very well.

kc2kth

I was annoyed that the D was never released in the US as well. I was ready to pull the trigger on one of these a couple of times right about when the D was announced. I started looking at the R20 about the same time and then that was one discontinued. I've been waiting for something "new and cool" to come around in the H/H wide band receiver arena but seems nothing does, or at least hasn't yet.

A few people I've talked to about the 8200 Mk III actually tried talking me out of purchasing one. It came down to performance and ease of use - at least for these individuals they felt the 8200 did neither well. Performance obviously isn't going to compare with an R75 or R5000, no one should really expect it to, but they weren't happy with it regardless. AOR has always been criticized for learning curve it seems so that wasn't a surprise.

TDR-94

The new upcoming Icom IC-R30 might be the one worth checking out when and if it becomes available.I imagine pricing would be in the same range as the AOR 8200 D.

Tim-B

I just googled icom IC R30 and I like the look of that one. If you carried that around on your belt it will probably be mistaken for a phone by most people. I wish there were some specs and more information out about what it will do. I may wait for that one.

Tim-B

Does anyone know icom's fcc manufacturer code? Maybe I can look up some info on the type acceptance portion of theFCC's website.

Nevermind, I got it, its AFJ. I checked the FCC's site for new equipment authorizations for the last two years and I found a lot of new equipment by ICOM but nothing that appeared to be the R30.

Last edited:

prcguy

The ones sold to the military have additional infrared LEDs in the display that can be turned on so they are compatible with night vision goggles, otherwise they are just an unblocked version with plastic case. BTW, the US Govt does pay a lot for the IR version.
prcguy

I guess I will just buy the Mk III and decide later if I want to upgrade it. Maaan, I wish they made it with a metal body instead of plastic. Do they ones that they sell to the military to monitor insurgents in Iraq have a metal body? Maybe I can send it to AOR and have them change out the body.

TDR-94

Does anyone know icom's fcc manufacturer code? Maybe I can look up some info on the type acceptance portion of theFCC's website.

Nevermind, I got it, its AFJ. I checked the FCC's site for new equipment authorizations for the last two years and I found a lot of new equipment by ICOM but nothing that appeared to be the R30.

Specific information from Icom has been slow to materialize about it. Hopefully it doesn't end up just being vaporware.

Status
Not open for further replies.