AOR AR-DV1 & AOR AR-DV10

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I am a previous AOR owner, times 2. I had an AOR AR-3000 and somewhat later an AOR AR-5000. Both were great receivers. I really liked the optional CTCSS of the AR-5000, but I bought both of them used and sold both of them.

I see that AOR has a couple of wide range receivers that interest me. The last time I looked at the AOR AR-DV1, I convinced myself to pass on it because I read about a LOT of issues on here. Can someone here bring me up to speed? Is it still plagued by issues? Or, have they been worked out by now?

I also see that there is an AOR AR-DV10. It looks like it is essentially a portable version of the AOR AR-DV1. I was slightly surprised to see that it is offered through Yaesu. Is this a new relationship between AOR & Yaesu? Have the bugs been worked out of this yet?

I really like a sensitive, selective receiver that will decode multiple digital modes, as well as things like PL, DPL, Color Code, Time Slot, TGID, RAN, etc.

Are both of these to be avoided at ALL costs because of their issues?

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
I think the DV1 is a good reciever I have heard mostly good things about it but I don't own one myself. I have actually started looking into them recently and while I like the radio I cant find any info online about what it displays I don't think it displays RIDs which is a big feature for me. As for the AR10 I have been told by multiple to steer clear of it as it is just awful especially on digital signals and the lower bands (1.5-30 MHz) from what I have been told it like to drift off frequency and missed digital transmissions alot. So I would wait for their next release while my next radio purchase will be a couple of Uniden SDS200s I have been getting back into shortwave with my AOR AR8200 MK3 and random wire antennas. So with that idea I will be shooting for a Icom R8600 before the summer. Hopefully they will add DMR decoding to it but it still meets all.of my needs and then some so that's what I would reccomend if you are looking for something with AOR like versatility ut works as advertised.
Bob

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
On paper the AR-DV10 looks to be almost identical the the AR-DV1, except for being a handheld.

Many of us, including myself bought it because of that.

The reality proved a lot different. Read what has been said about it on this Forum, YouTube and Facebook, then of course make up your own mind. However be wary of those that say the DV10 has no flaws at all, for which they have their own motives. I can confirm all the flaws outlined are accurate.

Sadly AOR decided to bluff it out and deny the problems.

Understandable financially to a degree, as the big flaw, frequency drift, is clearly a hardware matter, and would have meant a re-design, and a re-call of the units sold. Not such a clever decision regarding the damage to their reputation.

I have been an AOR fan for decades, so am very sad about the AR-DV10 issues, and AOR's subsequent decisions.

However the AR-DV1 is an excellent Receiver. Of course it is not perfect in every respect, but overall a very fine piece of equipment. Fitting all it has to offer in a Unit with such a small footprint is impressive, making it also suitable for portable operation.

Do not be discouraged from buying an AR-DV1 because of the DV10's problems. AOR are still producing interesting firmware updates for the DV1.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I just took delivery on a new DV-1 receiver about a week ago. I haven't had time to do a lot with it, but so far I'm 100% satisfied with the exception of the noisy switching power supply (wall wart) which was easy and inexpensive to replace. AOR likely assumes most serious users would just attache it to their shack's regulated linear power supply (which I have). For now I just ordered a linear wall wart, which should be rated for 1000 mA. I opted for a 1500 ma one.

I've been playing with it for VHF/UHF aircraft as I'm only 10 mile from Selfridge Air National Guard Base. I'm also listed to a UHF amateur DMR repeater, as well as some analog 2m amateur chat. Everything works as it should and I'm glad I bought it. AT $1200, I thought about this for quite some time, but with Uniden's new SDS-200 weighing in at $700+ with upgrades, the DV-1's price was not as dramatic as I once thought.

As long as you understand what the DV-1 is, and what it isn't (not a scanner in the same sense as a Uniden/Whistler, and it doesen't Trunk), I don't think you'll be disappointed!

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
JASII - AOR and Yeasu, along with Alinco and Standard Radio have been working Togeather for a long time. there are many Products crossover between them. Each, company have their own Strengths . most Recently AOR have been working with Yeasu , to Distribute the DV-10 in the Americas, whereas in Japan its Marketed by AOR Japan. Yeasu has a couple of Tranceiver based on DV-10 Case and Display. Similar to the way ICOM made its R30 into a Airband Navcom and a iDAS Tranceiver. however Standard has long stopped making Scanner/Receivers and Alinco only make Analog Scanner/Receivers. Alinco has a NEW Tranceiver the DJ-MD5T with a Big Screen, that could be Changed to make a Dedicated Scanner/Receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.