AOR DV-10 US version -> is it possible to activate NXDN descr. + Voice Inversion

radiogolph

Hello AOR enthusiasts.

A north american friend bought for me an AOR DV-10, which is supposedly cell-blocked (it isn't) and hasn't the NXDN key descrambling and voice inversion features.

I live in central Europe and those two last features would be interresting to have.

I know AOR is pretending that versions cannot be changed but, frankly, I live not in the US or Canada (why are they deprived of that?) and I'd love to have these features activated.

Is there a trick, hack or a modified FW ?

73s

c0ne

Yes, the limitations are software based. A modified firmware and a serial command would turn it into an un-blocked version permanently. This is apparently how they are programmed at the factory. Now, despite i know how, I can’t help you since this is illegal.

MStep

Yes, the limitations are software based. A modified firmware and a serial command would turn it into an un-blocked version permanently. This is apparently how they are programmed at the factory. Now, despite i know how, I can’t help you since this is illegal.

I do not believe that providing the information is illegal, unless you have signed a non-disclosure agreement. Modifying the radio could be illegal, depending on where you live. Modifying the firmware to an unauthorized version will likely prohibit AOR from ever repairing your unit, even if you were willing to pay for it, and even if your modification had nothing to do with the issue you wanted repaired.

And telling someone that you know how but that you can't tell sounds very childish and immature.

c0ne

I do not believe that providing the information is illegal, unless you have signed a non-disclosure agreement. Modifying the radio could be illegal, depending on where you live. Modifying the firmware to an unauthorized version will likely prohibit AOR from ever repairing your unit, even if you were willing to pay for it, and even if your modification had nothing to do with the issue you wanted repaired.

And telling someone that you know how but that you can't tell sounds very childish and immature.
This hasn’t anything todo with being childish(intentionally) I’m just trying to let him know it can be done.

Too me it sounds like a sensitive topic, since these laws are in place(US) that prohibited this. I’m just trying to stay out of trouble, but if admins allow it I wouldn’t have any problem sharing it.

MStep

This hasn’t anything todo with being childish(intentionally) I’m just trying to let him know it can be done.

Too me it sounds like a sensitive topic, since these laws are in place(US) that prohibited this. I’m just trying to stay out of trouble, but if admins allow it I wouldn’t have any problem sharing it.

Arrange to send him a private message or email. It's the easiest way. It doesn't have to be done online.

c0ne

Hello AOR enthusiasts.

A north american friend bought for me an AOR DV-10, which is supposedly cell-blocked (it isn't) and hasn't the NXDN key descrambling and voice inversion features.

I live in central Europe and those two last features would be interresting to have.

I know AOR is pretending that versions cannot be changed but, frankly, I live not in the US or Canada (why are they deprived of that?) and I'd love to have these features activated.

73s
Sir, please contact me of list since it might be a sensitive topic. This is what i kinda hoped on in the first place, when saying it might be illegal and publicly stating i can do it. Kinda avoiding this becoming a topic and more people would wish to see their dv1/10 unblocked. I make a one time exception.

What I didn’t anticipated on, was being called childish/immature. But than again I don’t take legal advice from random strangers. No one should.

radiogolph

Hello and thank you for answering my question.

It seems I cannot yet send PM as there is a minimum of posts required. Could you try your side c0one ?

Of course I'll send any proof that I don't live in North America (never been there BTW). I'd love to see how to play a little more with our receiver.

Afterall, the hobby (including radioamateur) lets us walk off the beaten tracks (SDR installation, Rpi, Linux, TYT MD 380 firmware by Trevis G., etc.)

c0ne

Hello and thank you for answering my question.

It seems I cannot yet send PM as there is a minimum of posts required. Could you try your side c0one ?

Of course I'll send any proof that I don't live in North America (never been there BTW). I'd love to see how to play a little more with our receiver.

Afterall, the hobby (including radioamateur) lets us walk off the beaten tracks (SDR installation, Rpi, Linux, TYT MD 380 firmware by Trevis G., etc.)
Me neither, can you leave me an e-mail address i can contact you at?

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Sir, please contact me of list since it might be a sensitive topic. This is what i kinda hoped on in the first place, when saying it might be illegal and publicly stating i can do it. Kinda avoiding this becoming a topic and more people would wish to see their dv1/10 unblocked. I make a one time exception.

If you read the original message the author said the radio was already unblocked so furnishing firmware that changes the country code should not be illegal.

I am mystified why you even replied if you can't offer to help the author. He was seeking information and assistance but you offered a tease.

c0ne

If you read the original message the author said the radio was already unblocked so furnishing firmware that changes the country code should not be illegal.

I am mystified why you even replied if you can't offer to help the author. He was seeking information and assistance but you offered a tease.
Np, i have already helped him. This thread can be closed. Enjoy your day sir.

MStep

Hello AOR enthusiasts.

73s

Just be careful with changes you make to the firmware in your radio. I recall a few years back, someone offered a friend a key input sequence to his Icom transceiver that was supposed to unlock the radio so that it could transmit on any frequency, including those outside the normal ham bands. After he input the sequence of keystrokes, his radio would not transmit on any frequency and it was an expensive trip back to Icom to get the radio straightened out. As they say, a word to the wise.

c0ne

Yes caution is always important, I warned him about. Allthough it never broke anything previously, and has been tested a few times, you never know. The procedure itself is pretty much fail proof, if you know how to install a firmware and send 2 serial commands. It can also reverted, maybe it’s worth to mention this is not a hack, but by design. The DV1 doesn’t have such unlock command, but the check is based on the serial number(it should start with 0952). That’s why in the serial commands documentation the command to read your serial is labeled as R/W(read/write) but only readable by default.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
FYI - on my newly received DV10 the country code can be changed in the menu settings, choices are Japan, USA or Europe. Not sure if setting to USA will enable cell blocking at 870 mhz, nothing there to hear so changing the band plan per country is not an issue for me.

c0ne

FYI - on my newly received DV10 the country code can be changed in the menu settings, choices are Japan, USA or Europe. Not sure if setting to USA will enable cell blocking at 870 mhz, nothing there to hear so changing the band plan per country is not an issue for me.
FYI: The country code relates to it’s bandplan, this has nothing todo with the topic. US models have frequency range and decryption limitations. Because US laws prohibits these features, hence the B models.

Last edited:

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Ok, mine is not a B model so it has full coverage for the useless blocked cell freqs.

while there is a law on the books to block the old analog cell frequencies it is not enforceable and useless. Just look at the thousands of sdr dongles that cover that band.

Last edited:

c0ne

Ok, mine is not a B model so it has full coverage for the useless blocked cell freqs.

while there is a law on the books to block the old analog cell frequencies it is not enforceable and useless. Just look at the thousands of sdr dongles that cover that band.
I think most people don’t care about the cellular range, but might be more interested in the voice descrambler etc.

MStep

I think most people don’t care about the cellular range, but might be more interested in the voice descrambler etc.

I agree. Cellular range is useless. I do remember a time when cellular was not blocked and transmissions were all analog, much like the old cordless headsets. Very easy to monitor. Those days are gone for good. And I don't think that "voice inversion" is used all that much any more.

Although they don't have lots of flexible scan functions, the DV1 is still my "go-to" radio most of the time.

radiogolph

Hello!

After only one month from my original question/request, I am grateful for all your contributions. I will go ahead soon (was very busy) with the unblock solution kindly provided by C0one. Stay tuned.