AOR DV1 v.1610B Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStep

I recently discovered a new issue in the 1610B firmware caused by the addition of Tetra mode to the AOR DV'1s menu system.

Previously, when the DV1 was in any mode other than "AUTO", pressing and holding the mode key would automatically bring the DV1 back into "AUTO" mode.

This was a very quick, convenient, and clever way to get the radio quickly back into AUTO mode. With the reinsertion of CW into the menu system, which also now includes T-DM mode, rather than the radio defaulting back to "AUTO" when the mode button is pressed and held, the radio reverts to "T-DM", which is basically useless for almost all users.

Apparently AOR forgot to "reset the pointer" back to "AUTO" mode when the mode button is pressed and held. An unfortunate oversight on the part of AOR, which highlights the absolute importance of all DV1 users to continue to check all aspects of the radio's operation after every firmware upgrade to make certain that there has been no negative impact on any aspect of the radio's operation.

I have contacted AOR and have asked them to please look at the issue and make the necessary changes in the firmware to correct the issue.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Anomalies and Fixes

I recently discovered a new issue in the 1610B firmware caused by the addition of Tetra mode to the AOR DV'1s menu system.

Previously, when the DV1 was in any mode other than "AUTO", pressing and holding the mode key would automatically bring the DV1 back into "AUTO" mode..

Yes, I can confirm that.

There is also the issue of the radio sometimes defaulting to 'DMR' mode in a Search (Code I wrote into eSPYonARD corrects it).

Today I found another anomaly, again sometimes when a Search is initiated, the radio switches to the FM-W bandwidth (200). Easily corrected with a mouse click by the program, but annoying.

I know neither of the above was happening before I installed 1610B.

So far I cannot find a specific set of circumstances that reproduces either, so for the time being I just have to classify them as intermittent.

However, none of the anomalies that have turned up are that serious, but the last one could be during unattended search logging.

I am about to add another (of what I hope will be) workaround for the IF Bandwidth change, by telling the program to always switch back to '15' if it discovers '200' when a Search begins.

It is unlikely many people will be trying to do a search set at '200' in any case. With a bandwidth that wide the normal Search function would be very unreliable.

I am not going to criticise the AOR development and testing teams, they have done a wonderful job overall, although the Radio has been around too long to expect a lot of unresolved firmware issues.

I know only too well the perils of adding something, or making the smallest modification, as all too often there a totally unexpected 'knock on' effects, which only weeks of testing 'might' discover.

The important thing, from my point of view at least, is that eSPYonARD will be able to correct both of the above things automatically after a second or so. The first has already had its workaround included in v.6.0006-007A.

The IF Bandwidth workaround will be included as from the next update, which looks as if will have to be much sooner than I would have liked.

MStep

Yes, I can confirm that.

There is also the issue of the radio sometimes defaulting to 'DMR' mode in a Search (Code I wrote into eSPYonARD corrects it).

Today I found another anomaly, again sometimes when a Search is initiated, the radio switches to the FM-W bandwidth (200). Easily corrected with a mouse click by the program, but annoying.

So far I cannot find a specific set of circumstances that reproduces either, so for the time being I just have to classify them as intermittent.

However, none of the anomalies that have turned up are that serious, but the last one could be during unattended search logging.

I am about to add another (of what I hope will be) workaround for the IF Bandwidth change, by telling the program to always switch back to '15' if it discovers '200' when a Search begins.

It is unlikely many people will be trying to do a search set at '200' in any case. With a bandwidth that wide the normal Search function would be very unreliable.

I am not going to criticise the AOR development and testing teams, they have done a wonderful job overall, although the Radio has been around too long to expect a lot of unresolved firmware issues.

I know only too well the perils of adding something, or making the smallest modification, as all too often there a totally unexpected 'knock on' effects, which only weeks of testing 'might' discover.

The important thing, from my point of view at least, is that eSPYonARD will be able to correct both of the above things automatically after a second or so. The first has already had its workaround included in v.6.0006-007A.

The IF Bandwidth workaround will be included as from the next update, which looks as if will have to be much sooner than I would have liked.

The issue that I mentioned has to do with the radio being operated as a stand-alone device, as I'm sure you realized. But yes, firmware changes can also have a "ripple effect" on software which is being used in conjunction with the DV1 as well.

Thanks so much for bringing those to our attention and keep up the great work with eSPYonARD.

Faramir

Premium Subscriber

Wasn't there a note from AOR on the Tetra mode needing the 200 setting? Could it be that if the search data contains a Tetra entry it switches to 200 or am I confusing things...

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Interesting

Wasn't there a note from AOR on the Tetra mode needing the 200 setting? Could it be that if the search data contains a Tetra entry it switches to 200 or am I confusing things...

The only similar quote I can find is
'As the IF bandwidth of Tetra is very large, the “noise squelch” filter is not suitable for that use'

The Searches where I have found this happening do not include Tetra frequencies, however it may explain that the one problem is Tetra implementation related.

However, as I understand it, most Tetra spacing is 12.5.khz. Trying to search with '200' is unlikely ever to be successful. The squelch would open long before it reached the centre frequency.

I have applied a temporary fix in 007B (uploaded tonight), so people will still hopefully be able to Search none Tetra frequencies as they did before.

However as both the problems I have discovered seem to be intermittent, I cannot guarantee that will always work.

Hopefully this will get sorted by AOR soon.

If TETRA DMO requires a specific IF bandwidth on the AR-DV1 then we need to be told what that is.

If it is particularly wide, then searching as implemented on the radio will be very hit and miss, irrespective of the squelch mode selected.

hamradionl

I think when AOR announced the TETRA
AOR writing in the install text, that Tetra Not work together with other modes and not work in AUTO mode nor tetra work used with scan/search combination other modes... or something text like that......

MStep

I think when AOR announced the TETRA
AOR writing in the install text, that Tetra Not work together with other modes and not work in AUTO mode nor tetra work used with scan/search combination other modes... or something text like that......

That may all be true, nevertheless, that has no impact on the original issue that I reported. When in any other mode (including T-DM), the radio should switch to AUTO when the mode button is pressed and held. The designers of the radio were very clever to engineer it that way, and that is the way it always worked prior to 1610B.

It may be true that Tetra will not work in AUTO mode, so the radio must be placed into T-DM before looking for Tetra channels. But pressing and holding the mode button in should revert back to AUTO--- I think most folks who are thoroughly familiar with the radio understand what I am saying.

Alex_S

That may all be true, nevertheless, that has no impact on the original issue that I reported. When in any other mode (including T-DM), the radio should switch to AUTO when the mode button is pressed and held. The designers of the radio were very clever to engineer it that way, and that is the way it always worked prior to 1610B.

It may be true that Tetra will not work in AUTO mode, so the radio must be placed into T-DM before looking for Tetra channels. But pressing and holding the mode button in should revert back to AUTO--- I think most folks who are thoroughly familiar with the radio understand what I am saying.

Agreed 100% MStep. This has nothing to do with the T-DM bandwidth. That is a whole different issue. I have heard nothing here in my area either on T-DM. I guess it is more for the folks in Europe although surprisingly, I have not seen any demos on YouTube of the DV1 doing Tetra. I guess that is because Tetra ls limited on the DV1 to DIRECT MODE, which is probably the most difficult to copy.

But I do confirm the issue that you reported MStep regarding the DV1 not defaulting back to AUTO MODE as it did several firmware issues ago, Great catch by MStep, and a little sloppy of AORs part. First they forgot to add CW back, At least they fixed that. But this latest problem, while not as serious, makes me wonder if anyone is minding the store over there in Japan.

Ubbe

Tetra are by design always 25KHz bandwidth and it uses the whole 25Khz.

Sometimes it uses 12,5KHz offset and sometimes not.

/Ubbe

mescalero

Tetra are by design always 25KHz bandwidth and it uses the whole 25Khz.

Sometimes it uses 12,5KHz offset and sometimes not.

/Ubbe

in each case the T-DMO is practically useless
it being understood that the greater are encrypted at least the satisfaction of seeing a receiver that can cost a lot to implement all the ways
the dmr and DSTAR are also made with dsdplus in Fastline ....
I think the project has been misjudged and too quickly, and its hardware is the limit
happy to be proved wrong.
with respect for the work

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
1610B - Temporary Fixes

There seem to be several odd things that can sometimes be triggered after the AR-DV1 has been set to Tetra 'T-DM' and then returned to use a different Mode.

Performing a manual soft-reset appears to put things right, but quite inconvenient.

However I find that just by running eSPYonARD (or closing and re-running it if applicable), is enough to sufficiently re-set the base values necessary for 'normal' operation, at least for a time.

Frankly I am not surprised that there are a few teething problems surrounding AOR introducing a new mode. No doubt they will be corrected in future firmware updates.

I know that un-encrypted TETRA DMO is probably not the leap forward AOR might have assumed.

Not enough of it around it appears, and from my perspective nowhere near the advance for scanning enthusiasts that the 'Q' functions offer, however achieving a TETRA DMO capable receiver with no hardware modifications, and 'free', is impressive, and demonstrates AOR's willingness to keep improving the radio.

mescalero

hii speak sincerely
If a company puts on the market an apparatus whatever its real or presumed ability, it does not pose as a condition "sine qua non" of the fact that it is driveable by a third-party paid software
This is a controversial annex as other companies like ICOM yaesu etc. provide "paying" management software that still reflects the same ... and
AR has not provided any of this
only developer or pay
the receiver should be used without restriction as its price is high and the support is not the best
respect for the developers but very disappointed by the company's policy

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
1610b bug test results needed

I think I have tied down / identified one bug and can re-create it at will.

Switching to VFO Z, manually or under serial control activates the T-DM mode.

Can anyone verify this please, in MANUAL. i.e. NOT via software control.

Select a VHF frequency., in FM mode.

On the radio press 'F' key,, followed by pressing the VFO button.

The Mode switches to T-DM ..... ??????

Would people please try this and report the results here.

*****FURTHER INFO*****

I have received info from someone else. Other Modes may incorrectly be being triggered when VFOZ is selected as above, not just T-DM.

Please post if that is happening to you.

Cheers

Last edited:

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply.

Clearly it is a firmware bug, as it happens manually too, but it has serious implications for any program trying to control the AR-DV1, as they will be using VFOZ often.

Annoyingly this also seems to be intermittent, so I cannot tie it down completely.

It happened consistently for a period of 20 minutes, now it has stopped.

I have no doubt it will keep re-surfacing.

I already have written a temporary fix that does work in eSpyonARD for Search and Scan.

I will write more about this in the eSPYonARD thread later.

Cheers

MStep

Thanks for the quick reply.

Clearly it is a firmware bug, as it happens manually too, but it has serious implications for any program trying to control the AR-DV1, as they will be using VFOZ often.

Annoyingly this also seems to be intermittent, so I cannot tie it down completely.

It happened consistently for a period of 20 minutes, now it has stopped.

I have no doubt it will keep re-surfacing.

I already have written a temporary fix that does work in eSpyonARD for Search and Scan.

I will write more about this in the eSPYonARD thread later.

Cheers

Could not duplicate this particular issue on my radio. Since you mentioned that this is intermittent, will try some other variations and report back if I am able to duplicate same.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Try This

Could not duplicate this particular issue on my radio. Since you mentioned that this is intermittent, will try some other variations and report back if I am able to duplicate same.

G7HID is having similar results. In his case the radio reverted to DMR.

1. Enter a VHF frequency into VFOZ.

2. Make its mode T-DM

3. Switch to VFOA.

4. Switch back to VFOZ - and now change its mode to FM

5. Switch back to VFOA

6. Press the 'F' key, followed by the VFO key.

The mode remembered should be the last one, i.e. 'FM', but on occasions it will revert back to the Mode before, in this case T-DM

G7HID is having similar results. In his case the radio reverted to DMR when it should not have done.

Can have 'consequences' especially under software control which needs to use VFOZ quite frequently, and always in the past could rely on the mode being what it should have been, not a mystery one.

As I mentioned previously. This is happening in manual mode as well as under software control.

Before approaching AOR, and it is ESSENTIAL they fix this, we need more confirmations that this, or a similar anomaly is happening

So far 3 people have confirmed it.

WE NEED MORE. It needs to be fixed as soon as possible.

This bug WILL impact on the radio in lots of ways.

Last edited:

Faramir

Premium Subscriber
G7HID is having similar results. In his case the radio reverted to DMR.

1. Enter a VHF frequency into VFOZ.
2. Make its mode T-DM
3. Switch to VFOA.
4. Switch back to VFOZ - and now change its mode to FM
5. Switch back to VFOA
6. Press the 'F' key, followed by the VFO key.

The mode remembered should be the last one, i.e. 'FM', but on occasions it will revert back to the Mode before, in this case T-DM

Just tried and I could not produce the error.

G7HID

As mentioned above my VFO Z memory when switched to will from time to time be in a different mode other than what it was saved in... There seems no ryme or reason for this as it will go for ages with multiple switches to VFO Z with no problem at all, then on the next switch it will be in a different mode.

Unless I am seeing things I have had a couple of instances where the AR-DV1 has been switched off in VFO Z and when switched back on it is in VFO Z still but in a different mode... I will keep an eye on this but I do not want to self destruct the radio by power cycling !!

Wonder if the two things are part of the same problem ??

Mike

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
More firmware issues - important

As mentioned above my VFO Z memory when switched to will from time to time be in a different mode other than what it was saved in... There seems no ryme or reason for this as it will go for ages with multiple switches to VFO Z with no problem at all, then on the next switch it will be in a different mode.

Unless I am seeing things I have had a couple of instances where the AR-DV1 has been switched off in VFO Z and when switched back on it is in VFO Z still but in a different mode... I will keep an eye on this but I do not want to self destruct the radio by power cycling !!

Wonder if the two things are part of the same problem ??

Mike

I have created a FIX which corrects the firmware problem re. the above using eSPYonARD. It will still occur if the program is operated manually or by other software.

So as to NOT post the same thing on different threads, it is important so
please read the below re. other recently discovered firmware issues and 'fixes':-

http://forums.radioreference.com/ao...-computer-control-new-s-w-13.html#post2671545

Status
Not open for further replies.