AOR SR2000A - Consumer Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickel1138

Nerd Debonair
Database Admin
Approved by the FCC today is the AOR SR2000A FFT Frequency Monitor ‘Consumer Edition’ which has the cellular band blocked. This means regular consumers in the US can now buy an own the SR2000A!

More info here: http://blog.big-dutch.com/?p=114

No clue if it's there might be a MOD? I kid!

Mickel (Big-Dutch himself)

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
This looks like a combination of an AR5000 and an SDU5600. I owned an SDU5600 for a VERY short period of time. It was slow and horrible for weak signals. I returned it. The AR5000 is a great receiver though, to be certain. The SR2000A boasts video reception which of course will be useless for TV after 2/09.

If you've got that much money to spend, why not spend a little more and get what is no doubt a MUCH better setup, such as an AR5000 and an SDR-14 for spectrum display. Great combination.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I played with the SR2000A at Dayton and it was a slick setup. In the end, I really wanted something for HF so I ended up actually getting a 5000 and an SDR-14 (which will be arriving soon).

But, the SR2000A was very impressive, very fast, and really showed band activity around Dayton with all the people and radios. Also don't forget that the TV reception feature would be fantastic for 2.4Ghz video cameras.

Shortwavewave

Is it a "freq. monitor" or can it still be used as a reagular radio?? IF so I wish It was avalible back when I bought my R75, and the video output is great.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I played with the SR2000A at Dayton and it was a slick setup. In the end, I really wanted something for HF so I ended up actually getting a 5000 and an SDR-14 (which will be arriving soon).

You will absolutely love the performance of the SDR-14 as a panadapter. Interfaced with the AR5000 and using Spectravue software it's unbeatable for the price. It is phenomenal with weak signals and incredibly fast. You can pick out weak signals that the radio won't even hear. It was just the opposite with the SDU-5600 I had. Unless AOR made some significant improvements between that unit and the 2000 it just will not see weak signals. And, as you state the SDR-14 is a pretty unique HF receiver as well. The only downside of the SDR-14 is the PC based display and the fact that it is a resource hog, especially when running in full screen mode. It needs a PC with plenty of horsepower.

But, the SR2000A was very impressive, very fast, and really showed band activity around Dayton with all the people and radios. Also don't forget that the TV reception feature would be fantastic for 2.4Ghz video cameras.

It would be neat if it could be upgraded to receive off-air HDTV signals. I just don't see a lot of usefulness for it with regards to monitoring cameras at 2.4 GHz or 900 MHz.

Also, to view a wide chunk of spectrum, a wider RBW would have to be used to maximize speed of the sweep, which to a point defeats viewing narrow band land mobile signals.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
I too have the combination of AOR 5000+3 and SDR-14 that was recommended by Scott. It is a great combination. I really can dig out weak signals on 20 meters and 80 meters. Even weak 800mhz signals are monitored with Spectravue.
I must have plenty of horsepower. I use both SDR-14 and run TrunkPCR at the same time. No problems or latency.

vince48

Status
Not open for further replies.