AR-DV1 AOR supplies this expensive receiver with a cheap noisy switching power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

The noise generated from the switching supplies could be radiating into the AC line or the DC cable. If its only in the AC line then the Monster thing might help some. If its radiating from the DC side then no.

I have a Monster HTS2500 Home Theatre power center. What are your thoughts on using this for assisting on reducing noise? Thanks Guys!!

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
I run all my Ham gear, both for receiving and transmitting, with 4 cell LiFePo4 batteries. HobbyKing has a 8.2 amp hour version which really lasts a long time when several (in my case 4) are run in parallel. This supplies a nice self regulated 13 volts. The proper charger must of course be used to recharge these batteries. It's 100% clean power.

I recommend what this guy suggested :)

AOR-262

Be VERY aware that the Icom AD-55 power supplies can spit out as much as 16vdc! use a volt meter and actually check the voltage. These run notoriously hot on even the Icom 8600. FYI. (I would not use one on my DV-1)

S

@DeepBlue

My AD-55 PSU is only used with my IC-R8600. It is rarely switched off and even when I've been using the 8600 for some time the PSU doesn't really get hot, just warm. However, as I mentioned previously, when listening to frequencies below around 1MHz the AD-55 creates a lot of noise that makes listening on the AOR almost unbearable -- switch the AD-55 off and reception becomes as good and clear as I can get.

DeepBlue

@DeepBlue

My AD-55 PSU is only used with my IC-R8600. It is rarely switched off and even when I've been using the 8600 for some time the PSU doesn't really get hot, just warm. However, as I mentioned previously, when listening to frequencies below around 1MHz the AD-55 creates a lot of noise that makes listening on the AOR almost unbearable -- switch the AD-55 off and reception becomes as good and clear as I can get.

Check the Icom IC-R8600 radio to see if it is hot. I believe this was the issue early on.
IC-R8600 | The SWLing Post

Also, the reason I posted this here was that the PS is actually rated to put out 15VDC (I have tested several in excess of 16vdc here) which is borderline for a receiver meant to run on max 12vdc nominal.
http://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/manual/pdf/AD-55S_1.pdf

Specs for the DV-1 seems to show an acceptable 16vdc max voltage at 2 amps but, this means the radio power circuits must give up the extra power as heat in the dc voltage regulator on-board the receiver itself. Heat bad.
AOR AR-DV1 Specifications

FYI stuff,
S

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
A lot of ICOM gear runs pretty warm. I remember my IC-R7000 & IC-R71A ran so hot I could cook breakfast on one and make coffee on the other!

dkf435

Just Astron it.......... still have the RS12M bought for the scanners,receivers bought in 1992 and modded with a BB battery backup now using a pair of RS-70Ms.. They just humm quietly with no hash, and the fan has never kicked on yet.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I received the Jameco Reliapro AC adapter today. This the one I discussed in post #3. Unfortunately it did not solve the noise problem. I thought being it was a regulated linear type vs. the original supplied switching type supplied by AOR that the Reliapro would, but no joy.

Next I'm going to connect it to my Astron RS-12M and I'm pretty certain it will do the trick. I should have tried that first, but I'm keeping the Jameco to have on hand when I may have a need for a nice 12VDC 1500mA wall-wart. All the ones I've had laying around are 1A or less.

Sorry to disappoint all of you experiencing the same noise problem with AOR's wall-wart power supply.

swman

Yep, it appears that Jameco is up to their same old tricks (as discussed earlier in this thread) and this one is using a switching regulator, of course is RF noisy !

Your RS-12A should be fine and will get the job done with no "self-inflicted" noise. For anyone else just purchase a bit smaller Astron RS-7A. This one is truly a 100% "quiet" linear power supply. With the internal voltage adjustment (thumbwheel) you can easily turn it down for rated 12.0 operating volts. The RS-7A also has "crowbar" overvoltage protection (models below this do not).

swman

nanZor

The noise from a switching supply comes not only from direct radiation, but also being fed back into a MUCH bigger antenna - all your house wiring.

While it may not kill the direct radiation, at least kill the feedback into the house itself. A Tripp-Lite "Isobar" comes highly recommended to help prevent that. Use the last outlet for the most filtering.

Now maybe additional chokes on the wall-wart supply will have a noticeable effect. :)

But yes, of course using a quality linear power supply (ALSO with an Isobar if you like your gear) is a good way to start.

Dragonborn

I use a home made linear power supply. It is a bit bulky and has a max current rating of 3A. The receiver draws only 550 mA in standby.

Status
Not open for further replies.