AOR8200 Mk II - Repair Needed Anyone Local?

thinbluebbq

Feed Provider
Hi all. I have an AOR 8200 MKII which I love having around since it is all mode, but it just stopped powering up on me. AOR won't work on it anymore since its so old. Anyone know of someone in Indiana who may repair it? I am in central Indiana but would ship if needed. Thanks.

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
Will it power up using a wall wart? The 8200 requires a d.c. supply of 12 to 14 volts which can supply a 300ma charge. Just about any wall wart that has the correct connector will work. The batteries don't have to be in the receiver. It will run fine without them on an external charger. There is a "known" problem with the small wire that goes from the bottom battery compartment to the electronic board on the back side of the receiver, that wire will quit making contact with the board.

thinbluebbq

Feed Provider
Will it power up using a wall wart? The 8200 requires a d.c. supply of 12 to 14 volts which can supply a 300ma charge. Just about any wall wart that has the correct connector will work. The batteries don't have to be in the receiver. It will run fine without them on an external charger. There is a "known" problem with the small wire that goes from the bottom battery compartment to the electronic board on the back side of the receiver, that wire will quit making contact with the board.
Thank you. I will try to dig up a wall wort and see. Hoping I could get it portable again though. Is the known wire issue easily repairable?

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it is fairly easy to repair. If you take the batteries out of the receiver, look at the bottom battery place, and on the right side, you will see the spring that contacts the negative side of the bottom battery. Take a flashlight and look where the spring goes thru a hole into the case, and you will see a solid piece of wire (that is part of the spring). That solid wire goes thru the hole and makes contact with the board that you can barely see. The solid wire is not attached to the board by anything other than the pressure that it applies to a contact strip on the board. The spring can get crud on it and/or oxidation, plus the metal contact on the board can also get oxidation on it. The solid wire is basically a "L" shape wire that makes a 90 degree turn to make contact with the board. If a battery has ever leaked at that battery slot, the gunk from the battery will mess up that wire and the board. The bottom of the "L" is what touches the board, and the top of the "L" is the wire coming thru the hole and is part of the spring. Hope that makes sense. :)

To fix it, you have to take the case apart. It is basically two halves held together by small screws. Once in the case is open, you have to carefully clean the wire and contact point.

If it does power up with a wall wart, I can tell you where the screws are to get the two halves apart.