Apache Operations and Frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanthewaves

So for the first time living here in Lincoln County for 3 years now, we just had not 2 but 4 helos fly over, they looked unmistakably like gun ships, my guess Apaches, I looked up the nearest ANG and it says it's in Portland but there are no Apaches based there from what I can see, maybe they are from WA ANG? They were flying NW, maybe here for the Rose Festival in Portland? Anyhow does anyone know where they are from and what ops frequencies to monitor when they are in the area? Also while I'm asking is there a corridor traffic frequency for Helos in N. Lincoln County? Seems like main traffic around here are Coast Guard and Rescue Choppers.
Thanks

Last edited:

KE7JFF

You will USCG and NOAA Corps mostly on Marine channels...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kk6yus

I've always known combat helos to not say much else than necessary, unless they need to of course. Depending on conditions they can cruise fast over water over low level and VFR. Check your local CTAF channels found in a sectional chart (VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts). air-to-air is quite possibly encrypted as well but may be involved in National Guard . A good net to cast for next time is an ADS-B receiver and logger. Catch their S-mode once if broadcasted, and you can more easily know about them next time. Is there any gas and oil platforms off your coast?

scanthewaves

I've always known combat helos to not say much else than necessary, unless they need to of course. Depending on conditions they can cruise fast over water over low level and VFR. Check your local CTAF channels found in a sectional chart (VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts). air-to-air is quite possibly encrypted as well but may be involved in National Guard . A good net to cast for next time is an ADS-B receiver and logger. Catch their S-mode once if broadcasted, and you can more easily know about them next time. Is there any gas and oil platforms off your coast?

I don't think I'm in range of any CTAF channels,nearest would be Salem I believe, there is a small muni airport about 30 mins S. of here but I don't think I get it.I don't pick up much except the occasional high altitude commercial flights. Would an ADS be able to pickup encrypted traffic? I might consider getting one just to see what I can catch, I found this interesting video on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKzii5K3AqA apparently you don't have to buy an expensive ADS receiver if you have some extra computer equipment that said I usually just check the track flight website for local traffic, if ADS isn't going to pickup and decode Mil Air like the guard or what not I really don't see much point.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
I saw two USMC AH-1 Super Cobra gunships fly south above Sherwood a few weeks ago. Probably headed to California.

Status
Not open for further replies.