Apartment Balcony... not trying to be stealth

lu121222

Hello,
Looking for antenna recommendations, if available on amazon huge bonus. I have an apartment balcony to work with for antenna placement. I do not care if it is big, I rarely use the balcony space. (I also don't care if the neighbors see it).
I live in Exeter, NH (03833 zip) and I am trying to get just local PD/fire for Rockingham County NH obviously as far as possible. I currently am unable to pick up the Portsmouth area or the Derry area. Basically, anything more than I get now is a bonus, I don't plan on living here forever but I do plan on being in an apartment vs a house for a long time so I can bring my setup with me if I ever move.

I have about 25 ft from the balcony to where the scanner sits. I will need one of those under the door jumpers as I can not drill into the building. I currently have a Whistler 1065 but I have a uniden sds 200 coming from Amazon Monday.

Any help appreciated!
Thanks!!

rf_patriot200

Hello,
Looking for antenna recommendations, if available on amazon huge bonus. I have an apartment balcony to work with for antenna placement. I do not care if it is big, I rarely use the balcony space. (I also don't care if the neighbors see it).
I live in Exeter, NH (03833 zip) and I am trying to get just local PD/fire for Rockingham County NH obviously as far as possible. I currently am unable to pick up the Portsmouth area or the Derry area. Basically, anything more than I get now is a bonus, I don't plan on living here forever but I do plan on being in an apartment vs a house for a long time so I can bring my setup with me if I ever move.

I have about 25 ft from the balcony to where the scanner sits. I will need one of those under the door jumpers as I can not drill into the building. I currently have a Whistler 1065 but I have a uniden sds 200 coming from Amazon Monday.

Any help appreciated!
Thanks!!
Congrats ! You have lots of possibilities on that balcony for antennas. Enjoy your SDS200 !

N1FKO

Premium Subscriber
A quick peek at Rockingham county in the database indicates that most frequencies are in the 150 MHz range. If I had a balcony, and I didn't care who saw it, I'd mount something like a Diamond BC103 (available at HRO in Salem) on the railing (or on a tripod).

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Any help appreciated!
Thanks!!
Get yourself a discone antenna (Amazon.com or .ca) I have been using one for years on my balcony on the 4 floor and it works great.
Saint

CanesFan95

Analog already is interoperable.
Most apartments, there's a way you can fit LMR-240 or similar diameter under the sliding doors and still close 'em all the way. A beam antenna mounted to the railing could work, if your line-of-sight is the right way. Some apartments get real anal about appearance and mounting stuff, though.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
The numbers say approximately 20 miles to Derry and 10 miles to Portsmouth from Exeter. A VHF omni-directional antenna tuned for around 155 MHz will serve you much better than a discone, or an OmniX. Derry, Portsmouth and Exeter enjoy frequencies near 155 MHz.

I am unsure why you are limiting yourself to something from Amazon though. Anyways, what antenna are you using now? Is it indoors or outdoors? Can you use a mast to get the antenna above the roofline? You will definitely help yourself if you do that.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
If everything is on the same side as the balcony I would get a 3 or 4 element broadband yagi/log periodic for the 140-170 range. That way most of that receive pattern is focused out torwards the line of sight so none gets wasted on the apartment walls. One of those rooftop tripods just set on the ground without screwing and a short 4 foot pipe mast would do good.

lu121222

The numbers say approximately 20 miles to Derry and 10 miles to Portsmouth from Exeter. A VHF omni-directional antenna tuned for around 155 MHz will serve you much better than a discone, or an OmniX. Derry, Portsmouth and Exeter enjoy frequencies near 155 MHz.

I am unsure why you are limiting yourself to something from Amazon though. Anyways, what antenna are you using now? Is it indoors or outdoors? Can you use a mast to get the antenna above the roofline? You will definitely help yourself if you do that.
Ignore the amazon part, I was thinking strictly because I can charge it on a credit card if it is expensive but it is not as expensive as I planned on.

lu121222

Ignore the amazon part, I was thinking strictly because I can charge it on a credit card if it is expensive but it is not as expensive as I planned on.
I am currently using a mag mount antenna on the windowsill. (In between the window). I can not use a mast to get above the roofline. I am on the third floor of a four floor apartment building.

lu121222

If everything is on the same side as the balcony I would get a 3 or 4 element broadband yagi/log periodic for the 140-170 range. That way most of that receive pattern is focused out torwards the line of sight so none gets wasted on the apartment walls. One of those rooftop tripods just set on the ground without screwing and a short 4 foot pipe mast would do good.
can you give an example of one? Would really appreciate it.

tede911

Premium Subscriber
As a fellow apartment dweller with a balcony setup, I can offer a few suggestions.

For the antenna, you can go as cheap as a good multi-band mobile NMO whip (VHF/UHF... and 800 if so inclined) on a ground plane adapter. That can be clamped to any mast (or mast-like pole) out on the balcony. I used a work light tripod I got for short money at The Home Depot. To keep the tripod from going anywhere in the wind, I zip-tied it to some weight (an old kettlebell). I know you said stealth isn't an issue for you but it was for me and this one has yet to be 'discovered' (famous last words...I just jinxed myself).

For the pass through, I have had great luck with the Comet CTC-50M (or similar) COMET CTC-50M No issues with opening/closing the slider/screen door on it. Weather, U/V light and general abuse have me replacing it every 5 years or so. Just make sure you weather seal your connections outside to prevent water/snow from getting into the cable/connectors. You can use a weatherproof extension cord junction box/sleeve if you'd rather not deal with wrapping the connections etc ( Search Results for weatherproof extension cord junction box at The Home Depot ). Basically I ran a 4-ft length of coax from the antenna SO-239 (I weather sealed THAT one) into the junction box where it connects to the Comet jumper which then runs out through the slider into the apartment. Then another length of coax from the inside end of the Comet jumper to the antenna splitter for my scanners. No significant signal loss noticed and getting 4 states worth of listening from it (I'm in the 128 loop in MA). I can post some photos if you'd like.

You have a Ham Radio Outlet not far from your in Salem NH on Rte 28. They are very helpful. Stop by and tell them what you are trying to do and they may give you some good suggestions in addition to what you are able to research here.