• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Apartment Install, running coax through attic

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I want to mount my antennas in the attic, run the coax across the attic(apx. 15 feet), then drop the coax through the ceiling to the radios.

My plan was to drill a hole through the ceiling big enough to fit some PVC pipe(or something similar). After drilling the hole, push the PVC pipe up through the ceiling about a foot and a half, then push the coax up through the PVC. Here is where I need help, getting the coax across the attic. Any ideas?

The reason for the PVC is so the coax doesn't get hung up in the insulation, there is about 12-18" of it.

TIA,

Tim

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Be careful there Tim! Random drilling could possibly hit some electrical wires and start an attic fire. Not to mention, your landlord might not be too receptive to your project, and would have possible grounds to evict you.

I would suggest you obtain permission, or try some other antenna options and place them near a window.

mrkelso

I came down through a corner of a nearby closet, if you have that option that may be a way to go. Make sure you patch the hole up before you move. Make sure there are no wires where you drill through.

timkilbride

Database Admin
Closet won't work, to far away :(

I need to get the coax across the attic using some sort of tape or other means. From the attic hole to wear the coax will come up through the ceiling is about 15' feet away, I have no way of walking around up in the attic. I'm looking for ideas to reach out and grab the coax to bring it towards to the attic hole where I will be at.

Tim

n8emr

I want to mount my antennas in the attic, run the coax across the attic(apx. 15 feet), then drop the coax through the ceiling to the radios.

My plan was to drill a hole through the ceiling big enough to fit some PVC pipe(or something similar). After drilling the hole, push the PVC pipe up through the ceiling about a foot and a half, then push the coax up through the PVC. Here is where I need help, getting the coax across the attic. Any ideas?

Tim

Skip the PVC pipe, It will just make your hold bigger. If you do it correctly you will not have a connector on the coax to have the smallest size hole. Push a clothes hanger up through the hole, find it in the attic and push the coax down into the shack. Put a new connector on and your done. If you cant solder coax connectors NOW is the time to learn. When you move just cut the coax off and push up, put a little toothpaste or cauk into the hole and your done.

timkilbride

Database Admin
Skip the PVC pipe, It will just make your hold bigger. If you do it correctly you will not have a connector on the coax to have the smallest size hole. Push a clothes hanger up through the hole, find it in the attic and push the coax down into the shack. Put a new connector on and your done. If you cant solder coax connectors NOW is the time to learn. When you move just cut the coax off and push up, put a little toothpaste or cauk into the hole and your done.

I love your idea! I got the coax ready to go, and it doesn't have any connectors on it yet. Now just getting it across the 15' in the attic. . . .

Tim

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
When you move just cut the coax off and push up, put a little toothpaste or cauk into the hole and your done.

That made me laugh out loud. Toothpaste does the trick. I know, because every spring I was scrambling to plug all the holes and cracks in my walls when I moved out of the dorms in college so I don't get charged some ridiculous fee for what was already a crappy wall.

Kennrth

Premium Subscriber
I think understand your problem - coax will not snake accross on top of rafters.
You need to cut big piece of ceiling out between the rafters so you can get you head up there.
You need to use short pieces of pvc pipe and glue them piece by piece using pvc couplers and pvc glue until you get the run distance you want accross the attic then snake the coax through it. Get it.
Then put the cut piece of ceiling back on both ends using spackle and tape and white ceiling primer paint.
You still may get frustrated try to snake moblile type coax - thin type. Use the heavy stiff stuff should work ok. Or use stiff wire from other end tie coax to stiff wire and pull through bouncing on rafters.

tooth paste yikes - should use spackle. For patching drywall and cielings. Can sand a repaint.

Theres alot of guys out there that can do spackle and tape work that will look like new . Check you local area paper.

Last edited:

n5ims

You say you're mounting the antennas in the attic. I presume that means that you can get into the attic without any problems (or you wouldn't be able to mount the antennas there). Just push the coax straight up into the hole until it's well above the insulation. You should then be able to find it once you get into the attic (assuming that someone's holding it in place while you get up there, that is).

Be sure to check the attic before you do anything to make sure that there's nothing that would block the signal such as the spray on aluminum or foil heat block treatment (such as this --> Best Radiant Barrier Installation Tip - Do It Yourself Radiant Barrier <--). If your place uses them you may get a better signal in your appartment (near a window or on a patio).

Status
Not open for further replies.