Apartment living antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbill1

Premium Subscriber
Any suggestions for a antenna to use with my yaseu ft5 in small first floor apartment two story wood and brick structure. Covert and non intrusive in apartment living room. Thanks in advance
Bill

PACNWDude

May have to try this myself. (Diamond 5/8 wave antenna). Many times, I have used long wire antennas, the thin black wire can't be seen easily in many installations that are strung outside between trees.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A 5/8 wave VHF antenna is not going to be resonate on UHF frequencies.

You'd do better with a dedicated dual band VHF/UHF antenna. Use a mobile antenna on a mag mount over a suitable ground plane. Cheap and easy, and if you ever decide to try using the radio while mobile, you'll already have what you need.

A 1/4 wave antenna tuned for the 2 meter amateur band will act as a 3/4 wave on the 70cm band. It's a simple 19" tall thin whip that will blend right in.

Add an NMO magnetic mount base with a connector to match your radio:

You'll need an adapter to attach the coax to the antenna jack on the radio:

Then go by Dollar General, Dollar Tree, or some discount store and get a steel baking sheet. Put the magnetic mount in the center of it. Attach the antenna and connect the coax to your radio.

Just be careful where you put the antenna. Sometimes a transmitting antenna too close to a smoke detector or other such devices can set them off.

Digitalbill1

Premium Subscriber
Thanks very much for the information. This option might be the best way to go. I was not aware that the smoke detectors can sometimes be activated. I wondered what the ramifications of apartment living and radio transmissions can do.
My concern was RFI interference to my neighbors. It has been years since I was active in amatuer radio and would have proplems with people who received interference on various electronic devices. I am not sure if this is problem in the digital age with cable TV, internet of things etc. Very few over the air devices. Don't want to agitate others in apartment complex

While we are on this subject, I could use opinion.
I have a Wilson 5/8 mag mount but my homebrew ground plane is cut at 1/4 wave.
Anyone think this would be a problem? Opinion only.

DW
So. Cal

K6GBW

Way back when I lived in a Condo I bought a dual band roll up J-Pole that's made form window line. I just used a push pin and hung it over my sliding glass door so that it had a clear view out the window. A five watt hand held worked most of the repeaters in Los Angeles. When we moved I just put some toothpaste in the pushpin hole and you couldn't see a thing!

N4KVE

I’m on the second floor, so in the corner of the room behind a tall book case I have a dual band antenna on a magnetic mount stuck to a cookie sheet. Works great. For 900 MHz, I have a 6 element beam aimed at the repeater totally hidden behind a couch. I just have to be careful my cat isn’t laying on the couch while I’m transmitting. Both antennas are totally out of sight.

Duh. I never thought about a j pole.
I had the 1/4 wave mag. Mount for the car, then I picked up a electric box and cut 4 conduit planes and it works great from Oxnard CA.
I can hit Catlina is. 70 MI so west @25 watts.
Dana
kg6wxe

DW
So. Cal

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Any suggestions for a antenna to use with my yaseu ft5 in small first floor apartment two story wood and brick structure. Covert and non intrusive in apartment living room. Thanks in advance
Bill
Arrow antenna on a piece of PVC pipe going over a microphone stand. Easily moved like furniture and can put the elements above eye level.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Way back when I lived in a Condo I bought a dual band roll up J-Pole that's made form window line. I just used a push pin and hung it over my sliding glass door so that it had a clear view out the window. A five watt hand held worked most of the repeaters in Los Angeles. When we moved I just put some toothpaste in the pushpin hole and you couldn't see a thing!
I have a Ham friend that did this also and had no problems,he use a J-Pole hanged it on the wall by a window.........

Status
Not open for further replies.