APCO-25 Phase II scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fieldho

Premium Subscriber
Are there any scanner models that can monitor APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive, also known as
Project 25 Phase II? I live in Mississippi and they are planning to move to Project 25 Phase II (MSWIN) by 2016. Does anyone make a scanner capable of decoding this system besides the GRE-800. I heard the new Uniden HP might but I also heard they will not. Anyone know what the truth is? I have a nice, stealth, dash mount for my Uniden BC796D that would accommodate the new dash mount Uniden hp nicely but if it will not track Phase II I'm willing to go to a hand held. My BCT15XT, I keep in the kitchen is okay for analog but I prefer a Bank system. Is DMA better for tracking Phase II?
I hope my thread is in the right location, I'm a little new at this.
Any advice?

brandon

Database Admin
Yes the new uniden 436 and 536 will. Also the GRE psr-800. But keep in mind the trend of many phase 2 systems is going fully encrypted on the law enforcement side, so probably not worth it.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

lep

The recent models by Uniden are known as HP type scanners. The first HP is the HP-1, it has a color touch screen and a different form factor than traditional scanners. I have two of them and find it very useful. Others don't like it because it does not have a usual "keyboard", and there are some on these boards that don't seem to like Anything!.
Uniden has just now released two new scanners, a 'base' unit that is about the size of the 996XT and a hand held. Both are in the HP series, Both of these are able to track APCO P-25 phase 2. Being brand new and awaited by those who have them on order, they are in short supply at the moment but that won't last long as the supply chain fills..
Frankly encryption MIGHT come but who knows? The doom-sayers have been predicting that for at least 15 years of which I am aware.
As you may know, GRE has closed and the 800 is only available used and without factory support.
Appearently the Whistler company (make of low rated radar detectors) has purchased some of the rights and maybe is going to make the GRE designs again but the details are sketchy.
So, my own advice for what it is worth, is, if you NEED P-25 phase 2, get one of the new Unidens.
On the other hand, if phase 2 is NOT on the air in your area, plans of government agencies often changes, Why not wait for a while? Maybe it will be put on the air, maybe not. Where I live it was announced as Coming, 3 years ago and still no on-the-air sign of it nor any hard evidence that it is being installed.

lep

Fine. But a handful of photos from the trade-show does not negate my comment, "details are sketchy."

If you are familiar with the history of trade-show introductions you know there are many showings of 'vapor wear'. For example, the GRE 900 which was shown several years ago but never made it to market.

When there is an announcement from the maker of features/prices/shipping dates, then we can change 'may be' to something firm.

SCPD

QRT
Could be wrong, but I thought the 900 was shown just in the last year or so, not several and then just a few months after the showing GRE closed the doors.

lep

It was "shown" at CES in 2012. See item #1 in "Pre-release thread for GRE 900". Use the rr.com search engine at the top of the page and you can follow the story from an Announement in Dec. 2009 to the CES "vaporware" and all the intervening discussion. Of course it never was released and there is question as to whether or not it existed.
It seems to have been an 800 repacked in a base-type enclosure, [or some speculate an exercise in the clever use of photoshop, who knows?]. GRE according to their own press closed in October 2013, several years after the tease of a 900 model.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks Lep, I remember seeing pictures of the 900 here, you are correct, I didn't think it was that long ago. You would think that Whistler would be coming out soon with some type of announcement with the showing of the portable and base unit at the show, if not I would say it was a bad business investment.

N8IAA

Are there any scanner models that can monitor APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive, also known as
Project 25 Phase II? I live in Mississippi and they are planning to move to Project 25 Phase II (MSWIN) by 2016. Does anyone make a scanner capable of decoding this system besides the GRE-800. I heard the new Uniden HP might but I also heard they will not. Anyone know what the truth is? I have a nice, stealth, dash mount for my Uniden BC796D that would accommodate the new dash mount Uniden hp nicely but if it will not track Phase II I'm willing to go to a hand held. My BCT15XT, I keep in the kitchen is okay for analog but I prefer a Bank system. Is DMA better for tracking Phase II?
I hope my thread is in the right location, I'm a little new at this.
Any advice?

First, you've got two years to find out what will happen. The 436/536 are brand new and I can guarantee that there will be bugs that need to be addressed and fixed. The two new Unidens do Phase II.

In response to banks, DMA, and favorites lists. The 15X doesn't use banks. It is DMA like the 346/396/996T/XT scanners. DMA has nothing to do with decoding Phase I/Phase II systems. It is a memory format for Uniden scanners. Even the PSR-800 has ScanLists, not banks.

Now, the new 436/536HP scanners, even though they look similar to the XT series, use Favorite Lists like the HP-1. They can't be programmed from FreeScan, Arc, or ProScan. They use the Sentinel software to upgrade and update the scanners firmware, DSP, and the database from RR.

I would truly wait until later this year before making your decision on buying one of the new Phase II scanners. Let all the early adopters do all the beta testing for Uniden. Then you will get a better model:)

I do have Uniden scanners and GRE/RS scanners also. Never bought one the same year they came out. Be patient!
HTH,
Larry

fieldho

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Larry,
Like I said, my bc796d uses banks and I am more comfortable using this format of freq. access than the DMA used by my bct15x. I appreciate your advice and will bide by it. The advantages of being patient are very apparent, especially on my budget, and I totally agree with letting the product prove and improve on the market before grabbing one. Although our Governor has stated that Ms. would be the first state to install a statewide MSWIN, I agree in the 'see it to believe it plan'. Ms. has always been last in about everything it does so this Gov. has taken the challenge. I believe he will be successful but there is no need for me to risk the investment until it becomes active. I understand, industry is using Phase II now but I'm really not interested in listening to utility communications. Anyway, thank you for your response. It will be heeded.

fieldho

Premium Subscriber
lep, Thanks, I appreciate the reality check. I will wait, if they do and it's encrypted, I'll be wasting resources with no return. I really like my 796D and, for this area, it trunks plenty. I heard the talk about encryption on a public "Safety" system. This really disappoints me since, these days, I might be accused of leaning slightly towards the conspiracy side of our government. I have problems trusting a system that is supposedly there for my help if that system can't be transparent. Like our present administration.
Anyway, I appreciate your advise and will bide by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.