APCO 95 / BC396T Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

james07731

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for a new scanner that picks up the APCO95 digital. I was thinking of the BC396T. Is this the best one for this?

Who is the least expensive? Pros & cons of this scanner? Any additional things I would need, such as cable, CD, etc? or are they included in box? Thank you.

n4yek

I am looking for a new scanner that picks up the APCO95 digital. I was thinking of the BC396T. Is this the best one for this?

Who is the least expensive? Pros & cons of this scanner? Any additional things I would need, such as cable, CD, etc? or are they included in box? Thank you.

For starters, it is called APCO 25, not 95 (simple mistake)
The Uniden 396 and GRE PSR500 are the two top selling hand held scanners for digital, Radio Shack has a couple but
they are made by GRE so I won't include them in this comparison.

1) 396 is less sensitive, but less prone to front end overload. The PSR500 overloads easily.
2) The PSR500 is slightly better in P25 decoding automatically, the 396 is good but has some small issues when trying to automatically do it on some systems.
3) 396 is smaller than the 500, depends on your taste for this comparison.
4) The 500 has much louder audio coming from the speaker.
5) Close call feature is best on the 500, the 396 does not impress me at all with this.
6) the 396 is top dog on Mil Air freqs.
7) The 396 covers bands the 500 does not.

These are just a few, others can chime in...

Status
Not open for further replies.