APCO asks Feds For More 700 Spectrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
Biggest news to date coming out of the APCO Convention in Orlando is the formal endorsement of a request for 30 additional MHz of 700 spectrum. Headline is:

STATEMENT OF APCO REGARDING ADDITIONAL 700 MHz SPECTRUM FOR PUBLIC SAFETY

August 10, 2006, Washington, DC - In 2009, spectrum already allocated for
public safety use in the 700 MHz band will finally become available across
the nation. However, this 24 MHz of spectrum, standing alone, is
insufficient to meet public safety's future requirements. APCO
International has long-urged that an additional spectrum allocation is
needed in the 700 MHz band, especially for wide-area broadband
communications.

Therefore, APCO International supports reallocating 30 MHz of spectrum from
the 700 MHz band that is currently slated for auction. Rather than
auctioning the spectrum, a more viable approach would be to assign the 30
MHz to a government-created entity that, through public/private
partnerships, would construct and operate a nationwide broadband network to
address public safety communications requirements.

This is why GRE has been very smart is holding up on new scanners. The dust has not settled yet on how much spectrum in 700 MHz will be added to the original offer of 24 MHz. There are also proposals before the FCC to add the guard bands to the 24 MHz which would mean scanners would have to cover more than presently covered by some digital scanners.

I'm holding on to my money until this issue is resolved as it can have the biggest impact on public safety communications in history. A public/private partnership is what is needed to every build a nationwide radio system, and it can't be built within existing frequencies.

Gill
Life Member APCO, Intl.

troymail

Silent Key
Is it your belief that firmware upgrades in radios like the BC-396 cannot overcome these types of spectrum changes? I'd think the only reason it could not would be to put more money in the manufacturer's pocket by forcing you to buy a new radio.....

n4voxgill

Silent Key
A scanner could not be expanded until it received new approval ffrom the FCC. Whether that could be done by sending it in for alterations or not i don't know. Remember the BCD250 only lasted one year before they came out with a new model to cover more systems.

I made another post on the 30 mhz a month or more ago when the co-founder of nextel first proposed CryenCall. The idea now has some important backing. It is thinking outside the box and I think the FCC may be ready for something like that.

TSA cover more than airports, they also have piplines. They have no extended radio network. Something like is proposed would be great for them as they will always to intercommunicatte with local police.

Status
Not open for further replies.