• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

apco exclusive systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonies

I was wondering how do you monitor an apco exclusive system in the 470 mhz area that is not trunked ?? My thought is only in conventional mode? The system is rockland ny public safety system. Any help would be appreciated.

seamusg

moonies said:
I was wondering how do you monitor an apco exclusive system in the 470 mhz area that is not trunked ?? My thought is only in conventional mode? The system is rockland ny public safety system. Any help would be appreciated.
According to the database here it is a Project 25 standard trunked system that is not shown as online yet. When it goes online, you'll need to use some trunker software to get info in the system. If it comes online as a Project 25 standard system it will have a 9600 bps control channel, which can be decoded by the PRO96/2096 with PRO96COM. to get the tables.

b52hbuff

seamusg said:
If it comes online as a Project 25 standard system it will have a 9600 bps control channel, which can be decoded by the PRO96/2096 with PRO96COM. to get the tables.
Tables are only required for Pro-96. Uniden radios decode tables from control channel.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
b52hbuff said:
Tables are only required for Pro-96. Uniden radios decode tables from control channel.

As long as the system uses the usual Explicit data stream, then that's correct.

If it's an Implicit type of system, both brands need the Tables setup. Many of the newer systems, especially ones by EF Johnson on the 400MHz band, are likely to be Implicit. We'll have to wait until it goes online and see....

ofm4u

Encryption

Don't waste your money, they are going to turn on DES-OFB encryption so you can't listen.

b52hbuff

kikito said:
As long as the system uses the usual Explicit data stream, then that's correct.

If it's an Implicit type of system, both brands need the Tables setup. Many of the newer systems, especially ones by EF Johnson on the 400MHz band, are likely to be Implicit. We'll have to wait until it goes online and see....
Thanks for the information. Is there any way to quickly determine if a system is 'implicit'? Or do you have to monitor and notice that 'things don't work'?

kikito

Premium Subscriber
b52hbuff said:
Thanks for the information. Is there any way to quickly determine if a system is 'implicit'? Or do you have to monitor and notice that 'things don't work'?

The best and sure way would be to run the Pro96Com software on the system. I can't remember the details off the top of my head but if I remember right, it doesn't show the channel numbers or the Tables numbers on the information area of the program but it gives you enough to be able to manually set up the Tables on the radio.

By the way, there is also another 'caveat', the Pro-96/2096 can only have up to 6 Tables setup, so again, if I remember correctly, if the system uses more than 6 voice frequencies, it might not track it correctly. The Uniden lets you enter up to the maximum possible of 16 Tables.

SCPD

QRT
kikito said:

Joe / everyone;

There two things in play here.

First, all P25 systems send control channel messages to indicate which call is active on what channel. In these messages, a system may use one channel # to imply both the TX and RX frequencies. That is an implicit system. If a system must use separate channel #s for TX and RX - then it's an explicit system.

Second, some systems broadcast the bandplan in the form of "identifier update" messages (base frquency, offset, and step size). For implicit systems - this also includes the TX offset. Other systems - like MA/COM P25 systems don't use the identifier update messages. These systems are "implicit" in the P25 protocol specification sense that only one channel # is needed to specify TX and RX frequencies for a voice call. Technically - Motorola 700 and 800 mhz P25 trunking are also "implicit" because a single indentifier (band plan table entry) describes the entire 700 or 800 mhz band - includiing the TX offset. However, what's really different about these systems (MA/COM and perhaps EFJ) is the lack of bandplan information over the control channel (or lack of a step size). We just need a catchphrase or name for these types of systems so that the P25 use of the terms implicit and explicit don't get confused.

-rick

kikito

Premium Subscriber
rfmobile said:
We just need a catchphrase or name for these types of systems so that the P25 use of the terms implicit and explicit don't get confused.

-rick

Thanks for sharing that knowledge Rick. I agree, we better hurry up and find the "catch phrase" before Uniden give us an ambigous term that will forever come back to haunt us! ;) :lol:

moonies

it states that its digital voice exclusuive, but how do you enter the system?? If you try to enter it as a uhf trunked system the uniden asks for the base/offset/spacing info! So, I a m thinking to enter frequencies in conventional mode? ANY help would be appreciated.

seamusg

moonies said:
it states that its digital voice exclusuive, but how do you enter the system?? If you try to enter it as a uhf trunked system the uniden asks for the base/offset/spacing info! So, I a m thinking to enter frequencies in conventional mode? ANY help would be appreciated.
1. The voice does not define what type of system it is you have to look at what the system type is.
2. If you enter the frequencies for a trunked system in conventional mode you'll get the CC noise on one channel and the scanner will lock on it
3. Could you give a link to the system you're trting to program.

moonies

Thanks for replying. Not an expert on sending a link but its the rocland county public safety system in new york. Its not yet active but a project 25 system is not an option on the uniden 296d system types when you go to program. Any ideas?

seamusg

moonies said:
Thanks for replying. Not an expert on sending a link but its the rocland county public safety system in new york. Its not yet active but a project 25 system is not an option on the uniden 296d system types when you go to program. Any ideas?
On the 296 and 796 a 800 mhz Project 25 stansard are programes as a Motorola 2 Apco 25 system

Last edited:

seamusg

moonies said:
I thought that a system with frequencies in the range of 470mhtz would be considered a uhf trunked system?
It is but too many people use the voice type for the system type and make anything with P25 voice into aan APCO25 system, even if it analog and P25 voice.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
moonies said:
I thought that a system with frequencies in the range of 470mhtz would be considered a uhf trunked system?

Yes, frequencies in the 470MHz are technically on the UHF band. However, from the type of system point of view, P25 system are all the same standard regardless of frequency band used. That's why any and all P25 systems (9600bps control channel) are setup as such on the scanner.

The older Motorola systems (3600bps control channel), it would be slightly different in how they would trunk in different bands for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.