APCO phase II police scanners with auto record?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there such a scanner that will always record when its on and you do not have to hit a record button?

I want to be able to save the whole days scanner transmissions for my local police department since they are not going to
be available on broadcastify any longer due to going digital.

I am looking for an affordable handheld scanner. Any help is greatly appreciated.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Is there such a scanner that will always record when its on and you do not have to hit a record button?

I want to be able to save the whole days scanner transmissions for my local police department since they are not going to
be available on broadcastify any longer due to going digital.

I am looking for an affordable handheld scanner. Any help is greatly appreciated.
What is your location? City (or county) and state is sufficient.

Also, how about a link to the system you are wanting to hear? Without knowing whether you're dealing with P25 Phase I system, or Phase II, any recommendation without knowing that for sure may be incorrect. Or, "going digital" could mean that they will be switching to DMR or NXDN. A scanner capable of DMR or NXDN will be more expensive, and it will reduce the number of scanners that would handle what you want to be done. It will also make a difference if you will be in a simulcast zone.

Its Vallejo, California

Attached is their new scanner information. What is here is all that i know.
Its a p25 phase I system, i thought II i was wrong.

Attachments

• vpd-scanner.PNG
    vpd-scanner.PNG
    7.9 KB · Views: 28
  • p1.PNG
    p1.PNG
    28.8 KB · Views: 24

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Primary site is a simulcast one as well, worth noting.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Primary site is a simulcast one as well, worth noting.
Yep

Here's the tower map for the CCCO West Simulcast site, which appears to cover Vallejo better than the others:
1602987215871.png
thanks folks. so just to verify, the TRX 1 is what i want? It will record when ever its on and will be able to hear this frequency?

Thank you!
As far as recording "all day/all the time", the TRX-1 can do that. But the unknown factor is whether or not simulcast distortion will greatly affect your reception. The Whistler WS1080 would also do what you want (recording), but neither of these are a good choice when in a bad area for simulcast. You probably should have your thread moved down to the San Francisco Bay Area forum. Someone in your area would be more able to give you a better idea of whether simulcast will severely impact you there in Vallejo. To do that, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the Report in the lower left corner of one of your posts, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum. Someone in the area would be more likely to see it there.

will my antenna work on the trx 1?
Diamond RH77CA ?
That should work. It's not the best choice for the 700 and 800MHz systems, but it is a good antenna, and I doubt of you'll have any problem hearing the system when using it.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
will the sds100 that is recommended record all of the time? i reported this but i think you can answer this question and thank you!!
For the TRX & WS1080 scanners, you can flag the talkgroups that you want to be recorded when programming the scanner, and then that will work everytime you turn the scanner on. That would let you set it to record PD only, but not fire, for example. You could also have other items set to record, and some not. Once the talkgroups, and/or conventional channels, are programmed to be recorded, you do not need to do anything else when turning the scanner on.

For the Uniden SDS series scanners (as well as the x36HP series), you would need to manually start recording when you turn the scanner on. That will record everything the scanner hears. But, if you turn the scanner off, when restarting you would need to turn recording back on again.

I do like the way the Whistler scanners, and the EZ-Scan software that comes with them, handle playback of recordings. The Unidens are not as 'user friendly' for playback on the scanner.

On the Uniden scanners, you would need to use a third party audio program for playback on your PC. On the scanner itself, Uniden breaks the recordings down to a set of file folders, each containing 100 audio clips. So, after you listen to one "folder", then you'd need to go back to the scanner menu then move to the next folder. For the Whistler scanners, you see all the recordings, and you can go through them sequentially. If you use a card readr connected to your PC, then you can play them back through the same software (EZ-Scan) that you use to program the scanner. That software also lets you sort the recordings. So, you could sort it so that you can listen to all the recordings for a specific talkgroup, like the PD Dispatch, then listen all the recordings for a different talkgroup, or a specific conventional channel.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
That's not a bad idea. The thing with simulcast is it's extremely location specific. Even to the point that, for some people, moving the scanner a few feet, one way or the other, inside their house, makes all the difference in the world.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
sometimes with Simulcast less antenna is better, the TRX radios will have trouble, if you get one and miss transmissions or they are not clear then you will need an SDS100, I use the record on my SDS200 all the time

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
and ill throw another one in for you, the Unication G4 and G5 will record transmissions and does it well

Status
Not open for further replies.