APCO Project 25 Phase I and Phase II, X2-TDMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc7rhw

With the new scanners coming out but I can not afford the 600 dollar digital ones.
is Ucan or salt lake city in the near future going to this new digital format any time soon. APCO Project 25 Phase I and Phase II, X2-TDMA
I am talking about this new format was think of getting some of the older digital ones that I can afford.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Just channels itself can be digital but the UCAN system as a whole, no. But I got the new scanner anyway.. even though Utah may never go digital, Colorado and some of the Blm repeaters have. It's sparcly scattered but some is digital but only phase I.. I don't see us getting phase ll

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

PJH

Premium Subscriber
UCAN is heavily invested in the Motorola SmartZone infrastructure, but as Motorola likes to force upgrades via "No longer available" or discontinue support for products, it will just be a matter of time.

I'd bet that there are already backend equipment that has been upgraded but since its dual use, its nothing that you would see. However, down the road, figure on a being upgraded to Phase 1 with a quick switchover to Phase 2. 2 essentially doubles the capacity with the same amount of radio channels.

But, these things take time, and you'll be able to save pennies for a scanner that will receive it. It would also not be an "overnight" switch and would be done in stages, and geographically.

In other words, don't worry about it now, but put a few dollars a month away for that next purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.